petite Le Mans

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

petite Le Mans

Post by dspgti »

For anyone who has interest outside of the PHA, one of our members, Aaron Yeager has been very involved with this race team in several of there endevors. Last week, team owner Scott Tucker, won a third straight SCCA National Championship in STO. The team has entered a new Honda powered LMP2 prototype that is actually next years entry in the ALMS (American LeMans Series) as well as the International LeMans Series.

I think the race can be viewed this weekend on ESPN 3.

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=61e ... 8433d6f266

Hope the link works,
Dave Y
jerdeitzel
Novice

Re: petite Le Mans

Post by jerdeitzel »

I"m suprised you have any time to worry about people outside the PHA. I thought being the protector of good in the PHA would be a full time job.

PS. How is your fight against verbal abuse going?
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

The race is broadcast live on ESPN3 on Saturday and re-broadcast Sunday on ABC at 4:00 PM.

jerdeitzel wrote:I"m suprised you have any time to worry about people outside the PHA. I thought being the protector of good in the PHA would be a full time job.

PS. How is your fight against verbal abuse going?
Jer,
I'm writting a letter to you that I will finish soon after having one more conversation.
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Really Jer??,, Dave starts a thread to let us in the PHA know that his son (who raced all the PHA events for a number of years until Roger Penske decided to move the team down south) is involved in helping out a team in the ALMS series. And you have to hijack it with pure crap. And people wonder why I have been staying away from PHA events.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

Steve Tumolo wrote:Really Jer??,, Dave starts a thread to let us in the PHA know that his son (who raced all the PHA events for a number of years until Roger Penske decided to move the team down south) is involved in helping out a team in the ALMS series. And you have to hijack it with pure crap. And people wonder why I have been staying away from PHA events.
So are you actually staying away from PHA events because Jeremy "hijacked" a thread? Brilliant! Makes a ton of sense to me.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
Steve Tumolo
Novice

Post by Steve Tumolo »

It comes down to the smart ass attitude that seems to flow so freely from people that have only been coming to the events for a few years. I took time out of my busy schedule to work on a corner this year at Duryea and when the corner workers and I would stand there to give a friendly wave to the drivers as they went back down the hill people like Jeremy and quite a few new guys could not even lift a hand to wave back. Not even a smile. I am not saying the drivers have to do any more than give a frendly wave and a smile. But that is the least they can do!!! Ancas all but stopped his car to give every one a hug after every run!!!LOL. You can tell he really is thankful for the workers.

Dave Y. has been driving and working at events for close to 20 years. I don't agree with everything he has to say but why doesn't he get to voice an opinion? Where is the respect? I was not at Jefferson and I did not get to read anything about whatever it is Dave was writing about. But what is shining through is that Dave cares enough to bring it to peoples attention.

I worked and drove in Hillclimbs for ALOT of years. I started to get burned out on it all and decided to follow a dream and try roadracing. I am glad I did because I am having a blast. Eventually I plan on running the hills again but that is years down the road. So I follow along here on the forums and I check in with my friends after the events because I gave PHA 18 years of my life. I feel as though I have just as much say as anyone else wether I ran all the events this past season or none at all. And when I do have something to say it is said with respect until the moment when I am not getting any in return.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

WOW. This is the nice version. Believe what you will and do what you need to, so that you feel good about yourself. :evil:

Dave and I kno each other well enough that he can handle a bit of harrassment.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
Hunter
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 168

Post by Hunter »

Steve Tumolo wrote:It comes down to the smart ass attitude that seems to flow so freely from people that have only been coming to the events for a few years. I took time out of my busy schedule to work on a corner this year at Duryea and when the corner workers and I would stand there to give a friendly wave to the drivers as they went back down the hill people like Jeremy and quite a few new guys could not even lift a hand to wave back. Not even a smile.
Really? I find this hard to believe. The first thing I was taught when I started hill climbing was to wave to the workers. I know I tell all the novices to wave at the workers. What corner were you working?
#168 SMF Honda Civic
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

Steve Tumolo wrote:It comes down to the smart ass attitude that seems to flow so freely from people that have only been coming to the events for a few years. I took time out of my busy schedule to work on a corner this year at Duryea and when the corner workers and I would stand there to give a friendly wave to the drivers as they went back down the hill people like Jeremy and quite a few new guys could not even lift a hand to wave back. Not even a smile.
Smart ass attitude? Maybe talk to some people at the hills and ask THEM how we treat people in person. You might want to gather your opinions of a whole group of people from somewhere other than an internet forum.

The thing between Jeremy and Dave was a bit personal to Jer since he was running the event, and Dave wasn't even there. Understand now? And if you knew what had actually happened, you would have a much different opinion on the subject. Let's just say Jeremy wasn't at fault. Not in the least.

I am actually a bit offended that you call out a whole group of people for being smart asses. I have been nothing but polite to those that have treated me with respect since I started showing up (and along with Mike Ancas was partially responsible for many new people coming to the sport) back in 2007. So all us new guys are smart asses? I can get very competitive at the events. I wouldn't mistake a competitive attitude during the day for being an asshole. Quite different.

Sorry you took time out of your busy schedule to work the corner. Maybe next year you won't bother. Might be better that way.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Holy crap. I DON'T look at the PHA site for 1 friggin day and BAMMMM.....lookie here. LOL!

I can tell how you guys' day went. Mine was relatively productive. See, I've had a voltage issue since the motor/Procharger/fuel system/etc build, early this year. When we start the car, we get 13.8v. BUT, under race conditions, 12.5. This has affected the car ALL #%^&%$##$$%^^&^&*&^ year!!!!! Even my driving was absolute garbage because I was datalogging and watching this and that all *^%#@#%*)_*(&%$%&*( year. Get it? Whew.....had to get that off my chest.

ANYWAY, previously, we had moved the hot lines to the PCM and the PCM relay to the battery. That didn't work. Oh, I have to mention that I did put a new alternator on the car when I did the motor swap.

So, I called a mustang tuning GURU of epic proportions and explained the situation. Next thing I know, we're cutting all the negative lines off the PCM also. Oh, I failed to mention that this morning, the guys from PA Performance(alternator makers from Boyertown) came up and did some testing on the car. THEN we moved the negative lines. The PA Performance guys asked us to remove the voltage sensing line from the harness to the battery. That took the voltage to 13.1v on the 1st pull and 13.0 on the 2nd. See, these fuel pumps need a minimum of 13 volts to function properly. Anything under that and volume drops and things go haywire. My concern was that 13.0 on the dyno would equate to 12.7 in the heat of a hillclimb weekend.

They had brought a new alternator and a seperate voltage regulator. I had the alternator changed in an hour. While it may seem like an hour is a long time, the blower has to be removed in order to change it out. I've done it so many times that an hour is quick. Tomorrow, they will be coming back to the dyno and put some more equipment on the car and do more testing. The Mach is being a test car for them. Depending upon heat, the car put down between 495 and 524rwhp. Not bad. I'm gonna chnage out the pulley on the blower and see what that makes on Oct 8. I'll do a seperate thread about the dyno day.

Oh, was there a discussion going on here? Sorry for the hijack but I was REALLY excited to get some positive results today and you guys are the target audience.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Steve Tumolo
Novice

Post by Steve Tumolo »

First,,,Steve glad to hear you are working things out with the Mach!!!!

Second,,, hang on a minute Mark I did not single anyone out, well except for Jeremy. I did not say the whole group of new drivers was lacking in showing support, most of them did. But it was a bit sad to see some newer faces that gave no effort to say thanks with just a wave and/or a smile and a nod. I don't know if you have ever worked a corner at a hill or not if you haven't maybe you should spend a few weekends doing it so you know what it's like. :)

Hey, there's an idea for Novices. Why not have them help out in a specialty at an event for a group or two? Have them work on a corner for a couple groups so they can see first hand how things work. The corner captian can sign a card that says they were there and it can count toward getting their TT License.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

First of all. If i missed waving to you or missed thanking you for working i apologize. I have never realized i missed waving any any worker stations before. I think if you ask just about any of the regular corner workers that i have been nothing but very thankful to them. In fact i seem to hang out with a bunch of them after the races so i guess i can't be that disrespectful. :twisted: Oh, and i guess you have never noticed i take my last timed run of the event and wave and yell thanks to all the stations? I figured that was when they were paying attention the most. :?:

Personally, i'd be fine with making the drivers work the hill all the time!
Last edited by jerdeitzel on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

Steve Tumolo wrote:
Second,,, hang on a minute Mark I did not single anyone out, well except for Jeremy. I did not say the whole group of new drivers was lacking in showing support, most of them did. But it was a bit sad to see some newer faces that gave no effort to say thanks with just a wave and/or a smile and a nod. I don't know if you have ever worked a corner at a hill or not if you haven't maybe you should spend a few weekends doing it so you know what it's like. :)
Can't imagine where I got that impression. Oh wait....
Steve Tumolo wrote:It comes down to the smart ass attitude that seems to flow so freely from people that have only been coming to the events for a few years.
That was it.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
Steve Tumolo
Novice

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Ya know what guys, I will make it a priority to run a hill next season and maybe we can get together and drink a few. Life is too short to argue. Sound good?
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

I"m always up for a beer!
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Steve and Jeremy,
What a nice way to end a topic that for some reason went down the wrong path. Both of you guys are class acts and I am glad to see you both can set your opinions aside and have a cold one together. I bet we could even twist Mark's arm to join you both. Hell. I'll even supply the Beer! GOOD JOB GUYS! Hope to see you both at the Banquet.
TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Post by TKnorr »

PHA people are the best. None better in the World.
Although there are some who contributed to this topic that are not really active drivers in hillclimbing, I believe they have a passion for this sport and a hope for its continued success, just as the others on this topic. We must remember that the PHA website, including the forum, is available to the general public, including those who have an interest in getting involved with hillclimbing. I think it is important to project a positive image to all who visit our website. We must all realize that unlike the spoken word, responding in print does not project the demeaner of the communicator.
I certainly will raise a glass to all.
Tom Knorr
Tom Knorr
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Sometimes, things don't go the way that you expect them to go.

The thread was about Level 5 and their bid to win the ALMS Championship, which they did. The problem was, nobody knows or cares. The ABC coverage of the event was so poor (that's my own humble opnion) that the LMP2 story and standings throughout the event were totaly ignored. The results were not posted at the end and no interviews were taken from the team.

Maybe there is a lesson to be learned here. Big Fish in a Small Pond or Small Fish in a Big Pond? Where do you think you fit in the scheme of things?

I can thank Steve T for being a supporter but I must admit, I bring on the conflict with my approach to those things that I am passionate about. I really didn't take offence with Jer's remarks. I respect his opinion and he deserves a response from me that I didn't have time to complete yet.

For some people the racing season is over, others of us have a few more events to try achieve our goals for the year. After that, maybe we can start over, bury our differences, and begin a new challenge in the spring. I'd like to have a drink with the rest of you, but I'm not supposed to have alcohol. It makes me belligerent. :roll:

Dave Y