Mustang week

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Mustang week

Post by mrevilracing »

Wasn't sure where to post this, here or under tech.

Yesterday's event was at the Myrtle Beach speedway. I will post up some vid when I get home as I don't have my software here.

The track is a 5/8 mile oval. They laid tires down across the track with about a car width and a half to drive thru. Seemed like they were attempting to get you to drive the line by where the openings were. So I get in line maybe 3/4 way back. I went up on a building in the middle of the track to look at the line and went down to get back in the car. While I was sitting there, a pick up truck shows up and a guy in there asks me if I run Solo1 events. Uh, yeah. He tells me I have to go to the front of the line and drive him around to see how fast the track is. HUH!!??? Ok. Whatever.

So, he gets in and we go. 1st I want to tell you guys that I felt there was NO safety at all. NONE. I wore a helmet and gloves. Gloves just because I am used to driving that way. Harnesses in the car were worn, of course. So we get on the track and I'm going maybe 75% cause he only wanted to get the lap belt on. Hmm..... After 2 laps I slow way down for him to ask me questions about what I thought about the track and if he should close up the 'gates' for these guys to drive thru and I said, no. I didn't feel as though it was necessary and it could create an issue.

As we drive in, he tells me I should give a safety speach to these guys. WTF? ME? LOL! If he could only come on here and ask about me...hahahaha! Anyway, I get up on the building and they give me the bull horn and I basically tell the crowd that they are in mustangs that aren't going to handle very well on this slick, tight track. AND if they had a staggered tire size(like 315s in the back and 255s up front) they weren't going to handle very well. AND if they didn't bleed thier brakes in a while, like yesterday, they COULD over heat them and be in trouble. That was about it. Way unprepared and not used to talking. Too bad Matt Green wasn't there. He would have done a much better job.

I waited for the field to go and jumped in. I had a guy behind me ask to pace me cause his car was fast and could keep up. I told him he had to talk to the track people for that and that i didn't think it was a good idea at all. Considering I was on A6s and he was on streets of some sort with a 255/285 stagger, no way. He told me he would be in my rear view mirror.....uh huh. So they clear the track for me to run. I was expecting this guy to jump the flag and attempt to keep up with me so when the flag waved for me, I was 10/10ths +. Needless to say, Nancy said I was 1/2 a lap ahead instantly. THANK GOD!

The track was slick. Yikes. I was hitting 4th gear but had to be hard on the brakes for turn in. On my 3rd run I was really pushing hard. Wound up just clipping a tire and saw it spinning in the rear view mirror. Oops. So it was time to stop before i really got out of hand. But it was fun and I gave the crowd something to watch. I deffinitely need to do some PDX stuff. No rocks and trees changes my perspective.

So yesterday I was fastest. Today was a different story........

We went to the Darlington Dragway. Again, I went on A6s. I brought some streets but NO DRs. My 1st pass was 13.4 @116. Not too bad but spinning pretty much. 2nd pass was 13.5 @ 117.9. NO video of that run. It was a classic drive making Ss down the track and not lifting. 3rd pass was 14.2 @ 102 with 1st, 2nd and 3rd spinning. You can see I all-but melted the tires as they are not made for the drag strip and I am NOT a drag guy at all. But we had a great time anyway. We met quite a few people that knew about the car from youtube and the fact that we hillclimb. I've been attempting to recruit more folks but most think we are nuts. Oh well, we tried.

Tomorrow, er, today, is the car show at the Myrtle Beach mall. Oh, did I say that it was 106 degrees on the way to the dragstrip??? Yikes it was HOT. The announcer said it was 127 deg on the track. I am STILL hot and lost count of how many bottles of water I drank. Off to a shower and bed........
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Hunter
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 168

Re: Mustang week

Post by Hunter »

Nice!! Sounds like a lot of fun. Get some drag radials or slicks. That car should be at least mid 11's. Those guys probably wonder why you were so fast on the track and so slow at the 1/4. :lol:

mrevilracing wrote: I am NOT a drag guy at all. ....

I seem to recall seeing you in drag once. :shock:
#168 SMF Honda Civic
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

I forgot to mention. When I said no safety, I meant it. 2 and 3 people in the car. Nothing removed. I thought it was crazy. I didn't see anyone getting out of hand but the potential was there. It was making Nancy and I cringe to see passengers in the back seat as they were driving around the track.
Hunter wrote:Nice!! Sounds like a lot of fun. Get some drag radials or slicks. That car should be at least mid 11's. Those guys probably wonder why you were so fast on the track and so slow at the 1/4. :lol:

mrevilracing wrote: I am NOT a drag guy at all. ....

I seem to recall seeing you in drag once. :shock:
LOL, Hunter. The guy that wrote the tune for my car is THE authority on mass air systems. He dragged for Ford professionally. He is down here on vacation and came to the drag strip. He was attempting to give me pointers but to no avail. It was the funniest thing. Oh, Ford gave him a Boss to play with at the track yesterday. It was a manufacturer car so when he got it the tires were just about gone. That new Boss has a LOT of wheel hop. We were shocked. He pulled a 12.9 @ 106 and said the thing should do 12.5s but we left early because the track was 2hrs from where we are staying. Not sure if he got the 12.5 or not.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

People have gotten the new Boss's in the 11's bone stock. Local guy has a normal '11 GT, ran 12.2 at 115 in admittedly mine shaft air. Hell, Car and Driver got 12.7 out of it (the Boss). On your 13.4, I would edit that post. Not something to be proud of. Dan and I are going to have to take you to the strip and teach you how to drag race or something. Should've been able to 60 at least 1.8 1.9 on the A6's. Would been in the area of 12.2 with that mph even lifting between shifts. I ran 12.4 at 115 in my Dad's bone stock '09 Corvette with what I thought was a horrible run, on the factory tires (2.0 60). With a couple more runs I am confident it would be in the 11's.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

Found a pic of Steve on SvtPerformance, and check out the shirt!

Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
NJ 03Mach1
Novice

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

mrevilracing wrote:The guy that wrote the tune for my car is THE authority on mass air systems.

:shock:
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

NJ 03Mach1 wrote:
mrevilracing wrote:The guy that wrote the tune for my car is THE authority on mass air systems.

LOL!!! I know you won't dispute that fact........
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
NJ 03Mach1
Novice

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

mrevilracing wrote:
NJ 03Mach1 wrote:

LOL!!! I know you won't dispute that fact........

I dunno what your talking about. :?:

But I will say, you should've never doubted me hahaha
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
camaroz1985
Novice
Current Racecar: 98 Subaru Impreza RS - SM

Post by camaroz1985 »

We saw you on your way back Sunday July 24th. It was on 95 somewhere in VA.

I woke Britt up when I yelled "There's Steve and Nancy!!"
Ryan Hetrick
#308 SM
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

*WAVE*
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!