MR2 Classing for PHA events

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Racer79
Novice

Re: MR2 Classing for PHA events

Post by Racer79 »

dspgti wrote:
Racer79 wrote:Its only in Level 2 Events(Club Trials) that the SCCA requires the current National Solo Rules be accommodated.........

In my opinion its the first sentence that could allow the NON turbo MR2 in CSP class for HC events without any rules being bent.......
Is there something we missed here?

Why does someone think that the rules only apply to Level 1 and 2? When it comes to driver and car safety eqiupment, that is true but why are the car classifications being questioned??

Enlighten us,
Dave Y
Hey man, I didnt write it......I only read it....... :)
camaroz1985
Novice
Current Racecar: 98 Subaru Impreza RS - SM

Post by camaroz1985 »

Racer79 wrote:...The fact that there is not many CSP prepped 91 to 95 MR2s running make it easy to get swept under the rug... :) :)
Especially now that they are in BSP :)

In all seriousness, just come out and have a good time. The safety requirments don't change from one SP class to another, so if things change again next year it's not a problem.

Not all cars are equally competitive in each class, that's just the nature of things. The SCCA is constantly moving things around to try to make them equal. It is not realistic of the PHA to do the same on top of what the SCCA does.

If being competitive is what concerns you the most, then buy the car that is the most competitive in the class, prepare it to the extent of the rules, and drive it the best you can. If not then have fun with what you have, prepare it to the level you can afford, be safe, and again drive it the best you can.
Ryan Hetrick
#308 SM
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Okay Racer79!
You have passed your first test. Fortitude
You have read and tried to understand the rules. Congratulations.
Now let me give you some "insider" information. The rules don't always mean what they say (or what we think they say). I like your interpetaion of 10.1. We wish that was the way it really was. But....the PHA is not a sanctioning body. We are just a collection of "regions" that run a series of events for award purposes ONLY. Every attempt in the past to "adjust" (don't use the term BEND) the classes have met heavy resistance and rulings from National that have their support. When the rules say "a class structure to maximize participation" they really mean "invent a new class if it doesn't fit the rules". I can't remember the last count but we have almost 70 classes and an average of 80 entries at each event. Do the math! Unless you bring a half dozen cars like yours to make a class, you will have to pick one form the 60 odd something classes already in existance.

There is another term you might not want to use again is, "sweep it under the rug". Sometime when you come out, ask for the GT3 at Weatherly story. There are more people looking "under the rug" than being concerned about the things that really matter.

Everybody that has spoken up hear has the same opinion and message to put across. Just come out and run. You will have the time of your life. If you think we are anal, it is mostly for safety reasons.

Here is a new quote I just made up,
"THE CLASS OR THE CAR YOU RUN IN WON'T HOLD YOU BACK, ONLY YOU CAN HOLD YOURSELF BACK."

Not very catchey but maybe you get the point.
Dave Y