Pagoda ...

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

JekylandHyde
Novice

Pagoda ...

Post by JekylandHyde »

http://www.readingeagle.com/re/lead/1383048.asp

If that happens, I wonder how that would affect the hill climbs.
I can't see a restuarant being interested in being closed two weekends a year.
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Pagoda

Post by Joe Foering »

Fortunately (or unfortunately), Reading doesn't have the best track record on making things like this actually happen. Perhaps there might be a way to make the "Historic Duryea Hillclimb" a part of this venture if it does.
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi all,

It might be a good idea for some of you that live down that way too attend city council meetings to see what impact if any this would have on holding the event. Since it says Mayor Tom McMahon has interduced this maybe someone can contact his office to find out.

I have heard the road has been closed due to a wall or walls falling over. Is it back open yet? If not does anyone have any info if it will be open by race time?
Regards,

Tim Royer
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

The last 2 weeks I have been going up Duryea and across Skyline on my way up to Kutztown. It is completely open.

From what I understand, they are only discussing the portion from beyond our turn around point for Duryea all the way out to the end of Skyline. That would not affect the event at all since we never go down that far anyway.

That was the last I heard.

Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Pagoda

Post by Joe Foering »

This is what's great about a forum, we get to discuss what we "heard" and sort thru the "rumors". It is my understanding that the section of skyline to be closed would be from the firetower out to where we turn around...(although what Jeff said sort of makes sense also...). At the last BMR mtg., Rick Kase, TimeTrials and Event Chr., tried to put things in a positive light...If the road is closed, we may be able to open it on the fire tower end for our event, and, if we can't do that then shorten the course (end it somewhere on the uphill past the model airplane field?) and use the area by the tower as the turn around. Let's all think positive!
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

I just checked the archives here at the Reading Eagle and I was incorrect.
Sorry about that.

The illustration in the paper shows the "potential" spot for the road to be closed between the fire tower and the next intersection (which is our turn around spot).

Skyline Drive on Mount Penn is one of the most scenic routes in Berks County. But if something isn’t done to repair gaps in stone walls lining the road, a portion of it could be shut down in May for safety reasons.The closure would affect a 1-mile stretch in Lower Alsace Township from List Road to the William Penn Memorial Fire Tower. A gate would be installed, preventing all traffic except emergency vehicles from using that section. The portion southof the tower in Reading would stay open. Lower Alsace supervisors are expected to discuss the matter at their March 30 meet-ing, beginning at 7:30 p.m. in the township building, 1200 Carsonia Ave. Thomas A. Orth, Lower Alsace supervisors chairman, said that while there are also gaps along other parts of the road, they are of less concern. Talk of closing part of the Lower Alsace portion of Skyline Drive was spurred by a Feb. 26 accident in which a driver lost control and hit the wall. (there is more)[/b]

Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

Hi all,

I love how things make sense. "Closing in May for safety reasons", I guess March and April it will still be safe???

Reading screwed all this up a long time ago. There was a guy that was going to rebuild the whole thing for materials cost only years ago.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Even if they do make changes to the Pagoda the only time we would impact any business would be Saturday and Sunday during the day. From 6:00pm on they could open. Just in time for the Berks County feeding frenzy. :lol: (For those of you not from the area it is almost impossable to go out and eat without waiting for a LONG time in Berks County between the hours of 6:00pm and 8:00pm)
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Roy
Novice

Post by Roy »

just a thought, but even if they DID close the road for safety reasons, couldn't we get a permit to use it anyway?

It's not like what we're using the "safe" roads for is all that safe anyway, right? I mean, I like to think there is a good reason for me to spend $2000+ on a cage. :D

--Roy
1989 Suzuki Swift Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza RS
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
2006 Suzuki DR-Z400SM