A place to post links to your hillclimbing videos and Pictures

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Mach rebuild under way

Post by mrevilracing »

Well, the Mach rebuild has started. Thanks to Bill Weaver(cause the car is in his garage), the motor got pulled out of the car on Saturday. With the expert help of Mike Robinson and Trevor, out it came in roughly 4hrs total. The 3650 tranny is a pain in the butt big time. Since you cannot pull the bell housing off the tranny, you are taking it out in 1 piece. You need literally 36" of extension at a minimum just to get to the upper bolts. While that was happening, we were removing everything else in the way as well as sensor connections. I'm not sure who the hell designed this thing but there are more sensors on this motor than should be allowed by law. Seriously, congress should pass a law that restricts this nonsense!!! Must be something to do with AlGore and his global warming/climate change. But don't worry Al, I'm planning to put enough emissions out to rival your house.

So on the stand it went and good thing we did it now because that clutch was about to go.

Yesterday I spent a lot of time making the Canton windage tray fit. Had to make several cuts to get it to clear the pick up tube. The picture shows the cuts. After quite a bit of time, it’s on, pan and all. So that’s where it sits for now. Waiting for other parts to come in so I can continue.
Attachments
This picture shows the factory windage tray.  On the pick up tube, there is a scraper.  In the pan, there are 2 scrapers mounted at a 45 degree angle.  For the Canton windage tray, you had to cut off the scraper on the pickup tube.
This picture shows the factory windage tray. On the pick up tube, there is a scraper. In the pan, there are 2 scrapers mounted at a 45 degree angle. For the Canton windage tray, you had to cut off the scraper on the pickup tube.
Windage tray after it was cut.
Windage tray after it was cut.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
mrevilracing
Novice

Re: Mach rebuild under way

Post by mrevilracing »

Here's another shot. In this one, you can see the pickup tube still hitting the bottom support on that windage tray. I just bashed it in!!!! Yeah, MREVIL wasn't happy. This was supposed to be the 'NEW' 4.6L windage try by Canton.

Quick edit: This is the one: http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi ... ey=20-939P
Attachments
DSC00045.JPG
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Post by miniacmike »

It's drives me nuts to pay good money for parts that I have spend extra time on to modify just to make them work.
After Steve's car is done, I get to do it all over again on our car. Must do water heater for house first....allways something!!
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
camaroz1985
Novice
Current Racecar: 98 Subaru Impreza RS - SM

Post by camaroz1985 »

You need to get your priorities in order Mike!
Ryan Hetrick
#308 SM
McDallion
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 43

Post by McDallion »

Priorities,... right. Do you actually need that water heater?
Don
miniacmike
Novice

Post by miniacmike »

Ok, I got some copper line and wrapped around my camaro's exhaust header and back .Now when I want hot water I just fire up the car and presto...HOT water. I also tapped my house fuse box into the car's alternator. PP&L wants to know why my electric bill is so low? I guess I have time to work on this year's hillclimb car now that the house is fixed!

Thanks for setting my priorities straight.
Trees taste good
Mike Robinson
camaroz1985
Novice

Post by camaroz1985 »

There you go. Now that's thinking!
Ryan Hetrick
#308 SM
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Well, it's in! A HUGE thanks to Mike and Bill. Even though the project isn't completed yet, motor and trans are in.

At this point, still waiting for the D1 to come in. The fuel system needs some 'fitting' due to the fuel hat being larger than factory - duh. But it was supposed to be plug and play. Not happening! So the tank comes out again to adjust the spare tire well. Still need to resolve the oil cooler/remote filter location, install some gauges and probably figure out the STB. Hate to have to cut it up but so be it.

The shaker will still be on it but am not sure what it's function will be. I need additional heat extraction so may wind up drilling holes in the back of it and blocking off the intake portion above the hood. We'll see.

Found out the brakes clear the wheels and that is very exciting.
Attachments
DSC00119.JPG
DSC00124.JPG
DSC00110.JPG
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
camaroz1985
Novice

Post by camaroz1985 »

Good to see you making progress.

On the shaker, could you turn it around so the "intake" is facing the windshield?
Ryan Hetrick
#308 SM
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

I guess I could but that would remind me of the 70's/80's Trans Ams and I can't do that to the Mach. Don't get me wrong, we had 2 of them.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
miniacmike
Novice

Post by miniacmike »

May as well put some GM cues on the Mach, you did let a GM guy help work on it. Now it's contaminated with GM blood. HA HA HA.
Trees taste good
Mike Robinson
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

miniacmike wrote:May as well put some GM cues on the Mach, you did let a GM guy help work on it. Now it's contaminated with GM blood. HA HA HA.
Hmm, not a bad idea. I could get quite a bunch of comments when I go to Carlisle in June.......... Ooo, I am talking to Nancy. She is giving me ideas! LOL! Oh boy.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Procharger in. Belt run - what a pain in the...you know what! Crazy thing is when you need to change the belt, you are removing the supercharger and some piping. Like, a lot of piping.

The intercooler is huge. The picture does it no justice. It runs from bumper support to bumper support. Basically, 27"x14.5". Still screwing around with completing the piping. Instructions show it coming up the inside of the fender well and thru the hole in the background of the head unit picture. Well, where the hell does the filter sit??? Yeah, right behind the radiator. We'll have NONE of that!
Attachments
DSC00141.JPG
DSC00140.JPG
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Big radiator means clearance issues!
Attachments
DSC00166.JPG
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Steve,

Did you decide on what to do about your hood yet? Could you get a big cowl hood, and with some elbows run the intake tube strait back over the top of the engine. If you wanted to get fancy you could even make an air box at the back of the cowl so you would only injest cool fresh air.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Bill Weaver and I went to the dyno to get the car tuned today. It was quite a learning experience for all. Still have a few things to work out but you can see on the dyno that we made a decent number and things are promising. Car was only pulled to 5200 because I want it fully broken in, even though Ford Racing says it's ready to run. But by Jefferson, things should be 100%.

The car should make another 2psi as those numbers are 10psi and there is another 1000rpms to go. Guestimating is 525 - 540rwhp with the conservative 15deg timing and 11.5A/F.

Steve - the Mach hood is staying. My wife didn't want another hood or I would have gone with a Cobra R hood and opened up the slots for cooling and downforce. It is still to be determined what will happen cooling wise. That intercooler is gigantic and does cover the radiator a bit so some air damming will be in order.

It has been a fun build. A huge thanks to Bill Weaver and Mike Robinson. Mike, I found the 500lbs of lead you mounted in the roll cage. :roll:
Attachments
Dyno chart.jpg
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
miniacmike
Novice

Post by miniacmike »

I thought I put 1000 lbs, or was it 2000 lbs of weight?
Trees taste good
Mike Robinson