Intersting Website With Historic Hillclimb & Road Race Info

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

vern2point3
Novice

Intersting Website With Historic Hillclimb & Road Race Info

Post by vern2point3 »

Happy New Year and greetings from an infrequent visitor.

I found a website the other day while doing a search for info on Oscar Kovaleski. You might find http://www.barcboys.com (BARC = Binghamton Area Racing Club) an interesting site full of photo's and information which include Giant's Despair and other local road racing in the late 1950s.

They have track maps of the Berwick and Brynfan Tydden road courses that ran with Giant's and even an old Giant's publicity poster. Event photos from Giant's give a great look at late 1950s hillclimb cars, drivers such as Roger Penske and a far different course from today including houses and businesses crowding the start line.

The other race courses featured are largely all ghosts today, including a surprising to me, Reading Airport road race.

If you're at all interested in hillclimbing in the days long gone by, you might want to check it out.

Meanwhile, can anyone tell me what ever happened to Oscar's McClaren Can Am car?
Mel Horn
Novice

Re: Intersting Website With Historic Hillclimb & Road Race I

Post by Mel Horn »

The ex- Oscar McLaren crashed and burned at the finish line at Giants' Despair in 1974.

Oscar road-raced an ex- CanAm car in the late '70s. I don't know if the car had been the rebuilt '74 wreck or not. I would be surprised if it had...
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
timurf
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 109
Current Racecar: 1968 Datsun Roadster

Re: Intersting Website With Historic Hillclimb & Road Race I

Post by timurf »

Very cool, thanks for the link. And just in time; snowed in at work so this will give me something to do to pass the time.
Tim Murphy
68 Roadster
69 Roadster
other Datsuns too