considering getting a car

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

proctorsilex
Novice

considering getting a car

Post by proctorsilex »

Reason has held me back from getting a dedicated race car, but, lately, reason has been losing out. I prefer wheel to wheel road racing, but I would run at least one hill climb a year. It sounds like SCCA regionals would be the most fun for me.

I want an older car as in no later than the 70's. I have heard good things about Sprites and Midgets so I have been strongly considering those. Do any of you have any recommendations or know of anybody in the general area selling such a car? I would like to find a car that is at least partially prepared to save some time and money. It would be nice if the seller were not that far away.

By the way, are there any racers down near Elkton, MD or the general PA/MD/DE intersection?

Thanks
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Re: considering getting a car

Post by mrevilracing »

Oh, get a mustang and come play with us!!!!!!
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
proctorsilex
Novice

Post by proctorsilex »

i drive a miata. in a mustang, i'd end up doing donuts at each turn! are there style points?
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Well. Considering we had a drift car at Pagoda and it was REALLY cool to watch, sure. Points can be awarded for that by the spectators. hehe But it's nothing a little right foot modulation wouldn't take care of.

Besides, no one will tell you what car you NEED to have on the hill.......just get one and dive in!

Is everyone paying attention here??? This man is looking for a locally owned Sprite or Midget and he wants to come hillclimb. Can we help him out? See the OP.

Sorry. You weren't looking to do this quietly were you? :twisted:
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

If you are really interested in wheel to wheel racing with a significant pucker factor, consider Formula Vee. Other advantages besides the adrenalin rush are: Not particularly expensive, but no racing is cheap. Most any car you find will be "mostly prepared" as they are purpose built race cars. Light and easy to tow. Easy to maintain. First rate engine builder (won the runoffs) AUTOWERKS is not far away, and a first rate car builder, Ed WOMER is in Maryland. Sometimes we have 8 or 9 Vees in a hill climb, sometimes just one. But in regional club road racing, the North East has the largest turnout of very competitive FV drivers in the nation. Disadvantage: If you are 6'3" 225lbs, like I am, there are not too many cars you will fit in (but Ed Womer builds one and there a few out there that may be for sale). Final thought: NEVER buy a race car, any race car, without "trying it on." Ergonomics is critical. If you are uncomfortable or have constrained movement you will not do well.
Good luck finding a car. Get one, any race car, and jump in......we have a great time at PHA events, a GREAT time.
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

First question I always ask someone who tells me they're looking for a car is how much do you have to spend and what do you expect to get for that amount in terms of how ready the car is for you to race. Racing Sprites and Midgets are out there with prices starting around $1500 for a roller that needs way more than just an engine/tranny up to 10k for something that needs maybe just a little work. They ALL need SOMETHING. If you're lucky, maybe all you have to do is relocate the seat.

Rich Rock
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Since you already have a Miata did you happen to consider looking into a Spec Miata that is already done? The Mazda drivetrain has been proven to be almost bullet proof in racing and there is alot of parts out there. You will have a large field to play with in Regionals ( heck there are usually at least 20 Spec Miata's taking the green at Summit Point) as well as a few records to chase in Hills.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
crusaderchuck
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 251
Current Racecar: H/M sports racer "brand-X" , '60 saab 93F #251, ex DC. region H/P "sudar" '59 bugeye ,ex disney '60 saab 93F

Post by crusaderchuck »

gregor,
well i think it's time to come by for a visit. i could roll out my little healey and you could test drive it for an idea of what a competition preped spridget could offer. mary anne told me you lost my email address. also you could test drive the saabs too. that would give you an idea of how darn slow a race car car go too...LOL! wink-wink-wink?
Charles F. Christ Sr.
1960 SAAB 93F #251
1967 H/M Sports Racer "Brand X"
1959 DC Region (RIP David Rothel) Bugeye "SUDAR" #1
proctorsilex
Novice

Post by proctorsilex »

I have heard things about Spec Pinata... which does include the lack of paint trading in the rear group and that does sound good and apparently true of all W2W. I enjoy driving my Miata a lot, but I have a longing for a vintage vehicle.

I am in no rush and I would like to find local, so I will be keeping my eye out. My price range is flexible especially if I can get a reliable tow vehicle for not much cash. I really do not want to spend $10k, but I know that that is more realistic given time constraints and the cost of preparation. I am uncertain about the Vees. I bet driving one would be fun, but it did not have the same appeal to me as a vintage closed wheel car.
BTW, I am about 5'8 with a small build so I could fit into just about anything with wheels.

I should probably be more realistic in my request for advice by shifting focus to the tow vehicle. I need to be sure that I can get the racer to the race.

Do you have any recommendations for something inexpensive, reliable, and rebuildable? What is the bread and butter of the towing world? It need not have luxury (other than heat) and the essentials like the engine, trans, and rear should be easy to obtain and install. $3k is probably my limit unless I get a car for next to nothing. Unfortunately, a tow vehicle that cheap might be a piece of crap.

I have read that old utility vans like the E350 and utility trucks like the F250 are good.
Is it worth it to get diesel?
Any particular year?

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/2057518706.html
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/2022078692.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0725950982

Thank you for the advice and interest!
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Hey Gregor:

You don't want my recommendation on a car, since it will be a 16V Scirocco... (sorry, couldn't help it; although if you decide you agree, please PM , and I'll help as I can !! :-))

On the tow vehicle, I used to tow with the 99 5.2L Dakota - towed ok, but got tired of loading/unloading all the camping supplies before and after every event, and setting up the tent. So I picked up a 03 5.4L E350 (Ext) with factory tow package, and would never go back.

Not sure why I stopped at 03, think they changed things after that? In 03 and earlier, the E250 had 4.8L stock, 5.4L upgrade. E350 was 5.4L stock, 6.8 upgrade.

I tried to find an E250 with 5.4L, extended, tow package. In one year, I found one (in Michigan), and it was sold when I called ([plus it was smiley faced yellow). So I started looking at E350s Ext with their standard 5.4 motor and tow package, and it still took a while. I eventually found mine, and it tows great (open trailer, about 4500 lbs) .

My trailer is an 18' closed deck BriMar trailer from TPTrailers in Limerick. We got closed deck to tow the motorcycle -- open deck is less expensive.

If you want to talk, please PM me, and I'll give you email / phone number.

Grace
proctorsilex
Novice

Post by proctorsilex »

Hi Grace,
I decided to pray about this whole thing then see where God directs me. This will definitely be a lot of time and money, so I will take my time with it. What your describe about the E350 sounds like what I want. I will be keeping an eye out for one. Camping is an issue for me too. I prefer to camp, but packing, setting up, and tearing down are a pain when you have so much else to do. I have plans to get a tent cot to try to solve that problem, but a van might be better.
Do you sleep in your van?

I like the van idea because, even if I fail to get into racing, I could make it look like the A-Team van!

I will probably get the smallest open trailer that would fit the car I end up with.

I have no idea how a Scirocco feels, but I am sure it would be fun. I just have a penchant for small vintage cars.

Thank you,
Gregor
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Praying to decide on a race car? To quote Yogi Berra: " Why don't you let God watch the game!". If you want that whole story, google it.
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta