Weatherly notes

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Mel Horn
Novice

Weatherly notes

Post by Mel Horn »

Two things to ponder as we go into winter after Weatherly:

1. During the cleanup(s) at Five, both cars had gone into the big hole on driver's right. It was suggested that this be filled in but it is apparently drainage and can't be. I have a sugggestion...

...Tires. That's right, an internal tire wall. Fill the damn thing with tires (won't really take many) beginning of the weekend and pull them out afterwards.

2. Can we revisit the rule regarding SIZE and CONTRAST of car numbers? And why do there have to be letters as part of the car number? (not of course, class letters)

Carry on.
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
cannon
Novice

Re: Weatherly notes

Post by cannon »

Sorry Matt this may be in the wrong place.

All the drivers involved in incidences at the Fall Weatherly are OK. I talked with Larry ( Camaro )Tuesday evening. He’s very sore and already planning for a return next year.

Sincerely Cannon
m1bes
Novice
Current Racecar: 178 blazer

Post by m1bes »

I would like too thank all the workers and all the drivers for a very good weekend.I had an incident on sunday and as always the guy jumped right in too help and i did not miss a run so thanks too all that helped me out.Joe i had a good time showing you folks the tapes.Now I am glad everyone is ok and thta they are planning too come back.Matt thank you for the thophy and am sorry I did not get too talk too you much.Thanks too John and Rich and all the others for doing a great job on start.I am planning on being there in the fall of next year.Thanks to Steve and Nancy for taking some nice video on turn2.Have a great winter and see you sometime in the spring Butch & Jackie King Blazer178
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Mel Horn wrote: 2. Can we revisit the rule regarding SIZE and CONTRAST of car numbers? And why do there have to be letters as part of the car number? (not of course, class letters)

Carry on.
I agree here, Mel. Nancy and I were talking and she brought up a good point. SHE knows the numbers of many of the cars. I do not. So if a car went off and I had the radio, the best I could have done would be to say "Emergency emergency emergency" and run to that car to see the number, hopefully. Larger more contrast numbers would be a good idea so that the clueless ----->ME<------- could tell the car number. And now you know WHY I didn't have the radio!!
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

I agree with some of this here. A letter combined with a number is no bother, I don't care whether I call down numbers or letters. But being able to read the number/letter on the car is most important. There are a couple of issues here.

First off is size and clarity of the number. Very important. Second is location of the number. Some cars have numbers nestled in a weird location on the car in the middle of sponsorship stuff and various other stickers which makes isolating the number from the clutter hard to do. Lastly, some 2-driver cars numbers are hard to read. For example, it could be as simple as adding a number with tape that doesn't show up well against the color of the car, again, making it hard to read.

Chuck and I use black magnetic #1's which are taped with orange duct tape to secure the numbers to the car. (Duct tape was added when we started losing magnetic numbers when I was flying so FAST up the hill that they fell off..... :lol: )

I hope there are some changes here, they are definitely needed. Glad this was brought up.
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

There can certainly be some improvement in numbering but keep two things in mind.

1) An incident is called as "Emergency, emergency, emergency, Turn X" The car number is not required as our first priority is getting traffic stopped. By the time that is done timing can tell control what car number is involved.

2) The most important aspect of the car number is for timing so we typically default to Nelson's assessment of legibility. Beyond that hearing the car called out up the hill we typically know when the number is called wrong and understand why it was misread.

All that being said, we can certainly talk more about the PHA meetings during the off season and get some of the worst offenders to realize a little bit of attention would be greatly appreciated.
~Matt Rowe
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Matt Rowe wrote: 2) The most important aspect of the car number is for timing so we typically default to Nelson's assessment of legibility. Beyond that hearing the car called out up the hill we typically know when the number is called wrong and understand why it was misread.
Okie dokie. That makes sense.

But all cars should still be required to be painted black and have giant white letters on them. And cars like....Bowland's car. Small surface area on the side..... Maybe he should have to hold a sign 2'x3' with the number on it while he is driving up the hill. Should be 4' 3 5/8" above the ground to the center of the sign. No higher, no lower and held in the right hand. Besides, if that happens, I think I have a shot at beating his car!!!!!!! :lol:
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Mel Horn wrote:
1. During the cleanup(s) at Five, both cars had gone into the big hole on driver's right. It was suggested that this be filled in but it is apparently drainage and can't be. I have a sugggestion...

...Tires. That's right, an internal tire wall. Fill the damn thing with tires (won't really take many) beginning of the weekend and pull them out afterwards.
Actually, the hole is on driver's left (unless you're sideways or backwards as you approach it) :) I had the same idea about tires and mentioned it to Ray (Weatherly Hillclimb Association) after the event. He thought it was a great idea. I'll try to remember to remind them for next spring.

Rich Rock
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Rich Rock wrote:
Actually, the hole is on driver's left (unless you're sideways or backwards as you approach it) :) I had the same idea about tires and mentioned it to Ray (Weatherly Hillclimb Association) after the event. He thought it was a great idea. I'll try to remember to remind them for next spring.

Rich Rock
Well, if you were going really fast...I stand corrected...
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

I have a photo of my MGA trying its best to get wedged in that hole. As in " don't get out of the car until we get a cable on it"! I also remember when Ush's husband used to shoot photos STANDING in that ditch with a tripod.
Attachments
SueWreckSmall#1.jpg
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
reddodge85
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: own the Neon driven by Donald DeHart and Crystal Whisler.

Post by reddodge85 »

Yes, Sue and the first time I saw the footage from there I told him he was not allowed to film from there since it was an impact area. I have been proven right several times over since then.