PHA Test Pilot Contest

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

PHA Test Pilot Contest

Post by Mazdahead »

I was asked to put my write up about the contest here on the forum.
If anyone wants to help in any way, please let me know.
Or if anyone has any other ideas to improve it, add your two cents.
I need Matt Rowe to review this for any legal issues wearing his Chief Stewart hat if possible and call me if you have any questions.

PHA Test Pilot Challenge
Presenter – Dale Witman
Concept
To encourage participation in the PHA as a worker or driver with a contest.

Individual Event Winner
One week for all entries to the contest with the winner notified one week prior to the next event by phone/email and posted on the PHA website..
An individual event winner would receive the following prizes:
1) The opportunity to assist in the operations of the following hill climb event. (worker)
2) Free membership to the SCCA (normally offered to corner workers)
3) Free lunch at the following event (normal for any worker)
4) Free admission to the Hillclimb party at the following event
5) Automatic entry for the Grand prize
Grand Prize Winner
A timed Run with an existing PHA Driver - Driver would be named at the last event.
Any contestant exclusions would need to be identified and spelled out in the contest rules.

The Grand Prize would be awarded at the final event (Weatherly), and the event winners would need to be present to win the Grand Prize. The drawing would occur before lunch with big fanfare. When the event begins after lunch, the first run would be done with the Grand Prize winner and a lot of hoopla! We could present the winner with other odds and ends like a PHA T-shirt, Hat, etc.

There are 2 ways to promote the contest:

1) At the PHA booth at each event.
a. A banner promoting the Test Pilot Challenge
b. Hourly announcements over the PA about the contest during the event
c. An entry form for registration to the contest
i. Name
ii. Address
iii. Phone Number
iv. Email address – used to send monthly/event notifications and the monthly newsletter.

2) On the PHA and/or Sponsor Web Site
a. Free registration with a simple question that anyone could answer by looking at the info on the PHA web site, to promote use of the website.

3) Optional Ideas for the sponsor website
a. Create an in car video for the contestant to view and identify the driver. This would require the identification to be very easy. The car number would need to be visible in the in-car video and notification that all drivers can be identified by car number on the PHA web site. ( This would promote use of the PHA website)

4) Other optional Ideas
a. At each event a local radio announcer could promote the contest, possibly free promotion if we give the announcer a ride up the hill as was done at Giants with the local reporter. This could be broadcast with the announcer screaming and demonstrating how exciting hillclimbing is.
Mel Horn
Novice

Re: PHA Test Pilot Contest

Post by Mel Horn »

Grand Prize Winner
A timed Run with an existing PHA Driver - Driver would be named at the last event.
Any contestant exclusions would need to be identified and spelled out in the contest rules.

And how in the blue-eyed hell is THAT supposed to happen?
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

Dale brought this idea up at the April meeting and it was voted upon for him to initiate the contest. Mel, in answer to your question, this run is to be a run such as the media have had at events. Speed is not to be at full throttle. As Dale eluded to, and was discussed at the meeting, this is all contingent upon Matt Rowe's final blessing or curse. :wink:

The "Contest" is a very top secret, shrewd way of luring people to work as a corner worker. So as E=MC2, Contest= (hopefully) more corner workers. 8)
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

This Timed Run does not have to be at full throttle, just needs to be timed. I would not expect this run to be any different than runs in the past with reporters or cameramen from TV stations have gotten. If you recall the runs by Jack where he spun it at Giants, I am sure the cameraman was checking his shorts after that one? Or, the run at Duryea that Steve Lewis did last year, I am sure some drivers would volunteer for this? In fact, this may be a good time to ask the drivers with an extra seat to volunteer for this grand prize run, could be some good exposure? I would like supply the grand prize winner with a selection of cars that they could choose from for their run. The winner wold be pulled from the 8 or 9 individual event winners at Weatherly before lunch with a whole bunch of fanfare. Before we resume the afternoon session, the Grand Prize winner would get the first run with their chosen driver. This should get everyone excited and watching from the start line! I would think this would be something we could use to promote hillclimbing and hopefully get a few new corner workers and possibly a new driver some day.
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Mazdahead wrote:This Timed Run does not have to be at full throttle, just needs to be timed. I would not expect this run to be any different than runs in the past with reporters or cameramen from TV stations have gotten.
Then why bother?
I'm very much aware (after 35 yrs off and on around this) of exhibition runs done for TV, etc., and basically have no problem with it.
HOWEVER: We generally do not allow passengers even in race cars returning from turnaround...why on a timed-but-not-full-throttle ( yeah, right) run up the hill?
Will the "chosen driver" have full belts and other safety equipment for the passenger's side? This has of course been done for years in SCCA road race schools and IIRC some of the Solo I drivers' schools. Of course in these cases the passenger's seat is occupied by an instructor who is an experienced race driver.
Anything more than a touring run...a passenger has no place in a race car under competition conditions.
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
mckee

Post by mckee »

NEHA allows passengers on 'Fam' runs which are similar to PHA Touring runs. This has been going on without negative consequence for at least ten years that I know of. Wives, girlfriends, rookies, etc. are encouraged to go along. Safety requirements are the same as for the driver but are rarely checked. No minors are allowed. When a reporter or a park ranger (all but one VT hill climb are held in state parks) wants a ride up the hill Butch King usually does the honors, leaving them weak knee'd, but safe and suitably impressed.
I know of one bad crash where a tree came up the hood to within 18" of the firewall in a Mustang, but no one was hurt.
I have traveled up Mount Washihngton much faster than I have ever driven it -- riding in the passenger seat of Mike Wilson's Turbo Porsche. Interesting but uneventful ride (I hope to bring Mike to Duryea -- he's been NEHA King of the Hill many times). I have gone up Burke and Mt. Okemo with Butch, and had I not been so experienced, I am sure I would have otherwise passed out. Butch takes late braking and no braking to insane levels.
VSCCA rewards workers by letting them ride up Mt. Equinox, or rake a few laps around a road course with a racer. I have taken some with me in the Kellison, but apparently the word got out and lately there have been are no takers. I''m not reckless -- the car is just too scary on a bumpy course. Hell, it scares me.
As I know fatal basal skull fractures can occur in 30 MPH collisions I think Mel's arguments have some merit.
All the best,
Bob D'Amore
LARRY LONG
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 39
Current Racecar: Bradley

Post by LARRY LONG »

Permission for any touring runs with a passenger must be given by the assigned Chief Steward and Safety Steward.

SCCA allows for such touring runs.

As a Safety Steward I would not approve any touring runs with passengers.

Why run the risk? How many drivers could hold back on such a run?

Just my thoughts.

Larry Long
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

I took a passenger(camera guy) at Giants in '08. There was a lot of pre-run discussion and agreement as well as waivers to be filled out. There were no issues by the end of the run. It was agreed that the run wouldn't be a FULL bore run and it wasn't. There is a set of Simpson 5pts on the passenger side of my car. I did a hard launch off the start and went from there, taking it easy thru all the turns. I'm not going to be responsible for crashing with a passenger, so, a run at 100% wasn't going to happen. I figure that anyone that wants to know what it's like to be in my car at 100% can go onto youtube and watch my videos.

I like Giants and Weatherly for passenger runs. The starts are relatively long so the passenger can feel the acceleration. But Giants is great because none of the turns are hairy like just about every other course, except for maybe Polish Mtn.

I would love to take the cub scouts up. But I couldn't bring myself to put a minor in the car unless it was putting along from the pits to the start line. After that, no thanks.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
neonracer193
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 193
Current Racecar: 95 Neon ACR

Post by neonracer193 »

I first heard about this idea at the meeting and commend Dale for thinking of creating ways to reward workers and possibly create drivers. If i am understanding the proposed plan correctly it states that a person would enter the contest at one of the hillclimbs and be present at the last one to cash in on the prize. THis may pose a problem. Although some people would go to the last event hoping to win the prize, i think some or most of the contest entries would not attend. Its not like the PA Hillclimb series has a bunch of roadies that go to every event, spectators are mostly locals and just come out for the afternoon. For this contest to really excite people there would need to be an exhibition prize run at every hill, or the grand prize would have to be more juicy.

How about this. We could solve the "passenger" conflict and create the ultimate prize by just letting the contest winner drive. Thats right, i said drive. The contestants would pay 5 or 10 bucks when entering which would be more than enough to award the winner with a SCCA membership and novice time trails license, both of which can be applied for right at the hill. Members could just loan their extra suits, gear, helmets and underwear (J/K). In my opinion anyone entering the contest would have a strong desire and passion to become a driver and would respect the opportunity. Most people the first time out are very timid and if they are instructed properly have an incident free first event. I would offer my car to be driven (after borrowing the winners wallet and righting down there credit card number). So, its just an idea, but i guarantee we would have another competitor to run with the following year. Alright, let me hear it. :?
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

It warms my heart to see so many thinking "outside the box". One way or the other we could get this done. Keep the ideas flowing. It helps to get input from the workers on what is important to them.

Dave Y
timurf
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 109
Current Racecar: 1968 Datsun Roadster

Post by timurf »

I think its a cool idea. We can nitpick over how it is regulated but the jist of it is thus; Take a non-driver up the hill 'at spirited speed' as a passenger and show him/her the course from the business end.

Lets face it, our sport is inherently dangerous and hillclimbing in particular has retained acute hazards most other forms of motorsports have, by now, designed out. (Case in point; modern race complexes having ample runoff areas, etc. that our events do not have. Our road courses are much the way they were 60 years ago!) But we're good responsible people and we play hard, but safe - thats the very reason I like to run with PHA. Our safety record speaks for itself.

If these touring runs with an eager passenger are conducted responsibly, which I place my faith in the club to do, it could be a great experience. Even beyond the 'grand prize' concept, I think it should be expanded to include as many rides as possible!
Tim Murphy
68 Roadster
69 Roadster
other Datsuns too
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

timurf wrote: Even beyond the 'grand prize' concept, I think it should be expanded to include as many rides as possible!
Absolutely!

Hmm,

TICKETS, BUY YOUR TICKETS HERE!!!!
$5 for a ride at the speed limit.
$100 for a ride that's a 75% run.
$500 for a timed run and MUST purchase hazard insurance. (suit, helmet, gloves will be supplied - throw up in the car and rider pickes up the detailer bill. For an additional $50, a 50' burnout will be done off the line) Of course a health test is required....pre-ride: rider should be able to run the entire length of the course without stopping. Additional requirements are as follows: 6 forms of ID, parent's approval form(regardless of age but min age requirement is 18), next of kin contacts(just in case), City Council approval sheet signed, Congressional approval form signed and Presidential pardon form for the driver, which must be signed the day of the run.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
John
Novice

Post by John »

:idea: :twisted: :shock: :lol:
Working a Corner Near You
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

You forgot to mention that the rider MUST wear Depends.

Rick