NJMP PDX Instructors and Drivers Wanted

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

NJMP PDX Instructors and Drivers Wanted

Post by dspgti »

Here is the flyer for the PDX that South Jersey Region is running on the Lightening track at New Jersey Motorsports Park on March 27-28. http://www.sjr-scca.org/clubracing/10pdxflyer.pdf

This is also the Club Racing Driver School weekend as well.

As you will see, there is no actual Time Trial. That doesn't mean that this event shouldn't be of interest to to us. There will be two run groups. Entries will be in either a Novice or Experienced group. All TT licensed drivers will run in experienced wether you were on that track or not. For those of you that have not done a PDX, the track sessions are open for all group cars at once. Passing is allowed with a point by on certain sections of the track. No timing will be done however if you have a transponder, I might be able to convince them to post times.

Want some free track time? If you sign up as an instructor, you will get in for free and recieve three open track sessions for instructors only. Again Passing will be limited but not as restricted as the PDX. Anyone that has a TT license and has run on the Lightening track is immediately qualified to instruct. Others may be qualified to instruct by experience.

Please contact me as soon as possible if you are interested in attending. dspgti@aol.com, 609-517-3129

Dave Yeager
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Re: NJMP PDX Instructors and Drivers Wanted

Post by Matt Rowe »

dspgti wrote:No timing will be done however if you have a transponder, I might be able to convince them to post times.
Just to be clear, timing at PDX events is strictly forbidden in any shape or form. Anyone found taking times for themselves or others will be removed from the site. PDX's are highly focused on safety and drivers education and are not competitive events. No exceptions!
~Matt Rowe
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

never mind :!:
John
Novice

Post by John »

The wife will be working corners for this event and look forward to seeing any of the PHA family at this event. :P
Working a Corner Near You
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

John, I think they are going to have another flagging school if you know of anyone interested.

Dave
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Matt,

Would it be okay for timing to be done for the "instructor only" sessions? These would be when the instructors are on course (without students) in their own cars, during sessions that they are given in return for them helping out by being instructors.

Rich Rock
neonracer193
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 193
Current Racecar: 95 Neon ACR

Post by neonracer193 »

I am either doing this Club Racing drivers school, or the one at summit the week prior(summit is a double). Is there any difference between me entering this event with the fact that i will have a TT license. Dave states that all TT license holders get put into the experienced class, i am assuming that is for the PDX people, not the club racing school. Are the club raing people and the PDX people separated, on different tracks, do they use the same instructors, would i instruct myself, is there going to be snowball fight? Im getting a little confused here.
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

I'll work backwards on your questions:

At this rate, the snow piles are so high there should be plenty left for a snowball fight.

Different instructors for PDX and CR school.

Same track, run at different times. Classroom at different times. CR starts Friday night, PDX starts Saturday.

For the PDX, TT licensed drivers will be in the experienced group or could instruct the novice PDX drivers.

Club Racing has two run groups; open wheel, closed wheel.

Now for the tough question, what a TT license gets you in CR driver school?
SCCA states how many class and track hours it takes to get signed off with a permit. That can't usually be done in one weekend. WDC region is running a double which starts on a Thursday night plus 3 full days (Fri, Sat, Sun) on track and in class.
Individuals with previous racing experience can request a waiver to complete requirements with just one school. PHA members have been known in the past to get the waiver because of their hillclimb experience. I would think that the Stewards of the South Jersey school would be more receptive than the WDC region stewards have been in the past. That is just my guess. You must request the waiver before the school so that they can evaluate you more closely. You wont know if you pass until the end of the school. It's not automatic.

Good Luck. Let me know if I can be of any help. I will be a CR instructor for SJR at NJMP.

Dave Y
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

If you plan on getting a RR license, I would try to enter the NJMP school then, do the Summit school. Most cases, they will not pass you at the first school and usually the next school in Nediv is at the Glen at the end of season or the fall Summit school. By that time the whole RR season is done and you will have to wait till next year to get the races in to qualify for a regional license.

B. Driver School Requirements
Holders of Novice Permits shall meet the following minimum Driver
School requirements before they may participate in a Regional race:
1. Obtain the signature of the Chief Steward attesting to participation
at each SCCA Drivers School attended.
2. Complete a total of at least six (6) hours of in-car, on course
time at Drivers School events.
3. Complete at least two (2) Driver School events with a “Satisfactory”
rating.
Rich
Rich Sweigart
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

E. Novice Permit holders may offer equivalencies to replace one or
both SCCA Drivers Schools.
1. The Chief Steward of an SCCA Drivers School or the Novice
Permit holder’s Divisional Licensing Chairman may waive all or
part of the Drivers School requirements for drivers with prior
racing experience.
RAY321
Novice

Post by RAY321 »

I raced at the PHA Jefferson last spring I was driving the Black Chevy Cobalt in SM had a good time unfortunately I was unable to make it out to race at other events. This year I will be at more hill climbs but I am also going to be at NJMP PDX as a student still have a novice TT license. If it is possible to do ahead of time and hoping it doesn’t snow that weekend, I would like to have a PHA racer as an instructor. Right now I think I will be attending on Sunday only but that could change.
Ray Hollister
731 Chevy Cobalt
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Chances are you will be considered for the experienced class. Currently we have at least 5 PHA members signed up as instructors. I will pass on your request to the chief instructor when assignments are made.

Glad you are coming out, let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Dave Y
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

I have to make a report Monday night on some kind of idea on the numbers of PDX Instructors coming from PHA. Anyone else want to get in on the fun? This is not the final call. It is just to get an idea if anyone else might be interested.

Any other drivers plan on coming out?

Dave Y.
NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

dspgti wrote:
Any other drivers plan on coming out?

Dave Y.

Nevermind, answered my own question.
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
jzabriski21
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 21
Current Racecar: # 21 specials 1 BABY GRAND STOCK CAR

Re: NJMP Anybody need a Roomate?

Post by jzabriski21 »

I am registerd to instruct at NJMP. Was wondering if anybody wants to split a room? I even sleep on a floor.
John Zabriski
(570) 760-7356
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

John,
There are VIP Suites at the Thunderbolt track that they rent out. I think they are $75 per night. Contact NJMP for info. I think you can get more info on the NJMP web site.

Dave Y
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Who all will be at the PDX? We're bored; can't wait to see any PHA friends & hear tires squeal. Sue & Dave
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

They are going to need more PDX instructors. Remember, free track time.

Dave Y