Ne1 see the show -Jesse James is a Dead Man

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Re: Ne1 see the show -Jesse James is a Dead Man

Post by mrevilracing »

Dan - I think the charity idea is awesome! And the use of the Austin Speed Shop(aka, A.S.S) is one hell of a hoot. Perfect idea! I also think that if you can get in touch with him, do so. He'll have all winter to consider it and there is plenty of time for him to build a car and test it out. Ask him to build 2, one for FTD and one for the 'whacko', sub-2 min. street car class.

Mark - YOU are the only nut to go sub 2 sec, hit the guardrail AND want to do it again! I'm gonna hire a shrink to come to the next event you run for an examination of your head. :twisted:

Had that spelled wrong and needed to correct it.
Last edited by mrevilracing on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
mckee

Post by mckee »

I think we are all a lot closer together on this thread than I thought -- particularly the suggestion that Jesse bring his wife (there are few other things more important than FTD but she could qualify, even if 1952 was not a typo).

George B. and I often speculate about how fast different drivers would be if they had our cars to drive. Our conclusion: Thank God they don't.

Brgds,
Bob D
dlascoskie
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 666
Current Racecar: 96 Ford Mustang GT

Post by dlascoskie »

Mark has a pretty good point, but does Stat Boy or anyone else know what the oldest street car to go sub 2 minutes is? I'm guessing Dan's Mustang is a '91? Jeremy's Evo a 2006? What's the oldest car though? I'm hoping to make him use a early 60's or late 50's car.

I'm cool with whatever though. Also, they're probably filming for next season already, so we're probably at least a year away, but who cares. I've already contacted Base productions, the company that owns Spike TV.I'll contact A.S.S. and West Coast Choppers too, and see where it goes from there.
Dan
dlascoskie@msn.com

2007 ESP Class Champion

jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Now are we talking Jesses's new wife or his ex? I kinda like the ex better myself! Lol

As for the FTD thing. I can see both points of opinions here. I think you have to clarify that alittle. To beat George, it would take alot. Now if he dosnt show up then you would have a better shot.(not easy but better). Personnaly I think anything at Duyea under 1.52's would be outa reach for what most folks would try with.

Ps. The EVO is a 2003.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

One more thing. I personnaly think George has built one of the best cars out there for hillclimbs. Other then getting more top speed out of it I don't think there would be much that could keep up on Duryea. Even a new Indy car most likely would not be great on that hill.

Bye the way, has the Danko car ever run Duryea?
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

jerdeitzel wrote:One more thing. I personnaly think George has built one of the best cars out there for hillclimbs. Other then getting more top speed out of it I don't think there would be much that could keep up on Duryea. Even a new Indy car most likely would not be great on that hill.

Bye the way, has the Danko car ever run Duryea?
No doubt about it that the Bowland car is one of the best cars for a hill but I'd venture to say that a new Indy car would do very well with the right driver. However, when George is behind the wheel of that thing of his, extremely hard to beat. We've all witnessed how well he drives it.

Doesn't look like it's been to Duryea yet but Darryl wen't 114.575 in a Swift DB4 in '05. That's pretty friggin fast.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

If need be...I can drop Jesse a direct line. You may, or may not know...he is into VW's!
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
mckee

Post by mckee »

The best candidate to break George's Duryea record is Darryl in the 1989 Lola. His unlimited aero and turbo Buick would likely overwhelm a new 750 HP Indy car. Nobody attacks a hill as viciously as Darryl (Merlin Miller?), yet I predict the Shark winning by 1.5 sec.

I am looking forward to the new S3 car Merlin is constructing. He could rattle our cages -- literally.

Brgds,
Bob D
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Not to take anything away from anyone else, but this lunatic attacks a hill harder than anyone I've seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySiYDZUH0k

Who else clips a guardrail and still runs 118sec at Duryea? No open wheeled car will do that and keep going. Especially with the height of that guardrail now. Oh, remember how I was told nobody would go UNDER it?
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

Thanks for the compliment Steve, but there are many who attack the hill just as much as myself. I think I am just the only one who is actually willing to BRAG that I hit a guardrail, rather than just keep it to myself! I would love to see Daryl's car attack Duryea. George versus Daryl would be quite the battle, even though they aren't in the same class.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Oh I completely agree! Shut the hill down and let them run all day cause I want to move around to different vantage points.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Back to the Subject.

Let me tell you what I was educated to several years ago when I was involved with trying to promote Hillclimbs.

#1 You want to get something on SPEEDVISION? Offer lots of money! SCCA gave up this year and would not pay them the big fees to SPEED to broadcast the Runoffs. That's Okay because it is a lot more accessable on the internet.

#2 If you want a broadcast series to run a subject that you are involved with, Offer lots of money! I repeat "LOTS OF MONEY".

Okay, I have voiced my negative comments for now. Please , don't let me discourage anyone from trying to promote our sport. Let us all help in anyway we can, but let us not lose site of the pit falls.

The Blue Mountain Region feels very honored that you have suggested that the Duryea event would be the most attactive venue to lure a "BIG NAME" to a challenge. We only hope that after you are successfull in arranging such an event that "you all" come out and help put it on. You know...volunteer to help! Not just sit back and say "Okay here you go, I got you all the stuff, now what are you going to do with it?"

I don't mean to come off as being negative (like I always do) but, the best results we have had is by involvement of every individual to go beyond just showing up and driving or just sending some emails or speading ideas. IT TAKES WORK! PERIOD!

And after that, it doesn't help if we attack those that been instrumental in expanding our sport and attacking them on an open forum because we feel challenged. enough said.

Dave Y.
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

I think it would be cool to have him accept the challenge. 1 event would be great. In Feb, when we were promoting the PHA up in the mall, it was amazing how many people didn't realize this type of racing still went on. Locally!
I still run across folks on different forums that think this is a really cool type of racing. It doesn't go on everywhere.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

As mentioned before, it takes time to get these things on the schedule. They could be already locked in to the 2010 schedule. Don't be discouraged by that. Also consider some other shows. In the past I contacted "Dream Car Garage" (don't know if it still on), "My Classic Car", and "Car Crazy". They attend special events usually including car shows, that are unique. At the time I got polite rejections since they all had the following years schedule locked in and I never pursued it again.

By the way, BMR has use of the City Park area for Duryea and we had put on a Car Show several years ago. It could be done again if somebody or organization wants to step up and put it on. Contact me, Rich Rock or Merlin Miller, if you have any ideas.

Dave Y.
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Mark Aubele wrote: George versus Daryl would be quite the battle, even though they aren't in the same class.
The press release I wrote for 2009 Duryea played up that battle . But I had to do a rewrite when Danko told me he wouldn't be bringing the Indy car.

Rich Rock
BMR Hillclimb Chairman