noise control

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Re: noise control

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

My Dearest Mssrs. Rock and Y.

1. Actually there are houses at this hill....right on course, as a matter of fact! Spectators too!
2. We are not going into the "roll cage issue" again, are we?
3. SAAB never made anything beyond a 2 stroke car (ask Chuck!). Moot point in the SAAB community.
4. I ain't going there!!! lolol! :lol:

Actually, they just might be listening to Pink Floyd! In my brief "runs" at Fall Weatherly I had an iPod and was listening to some favorite tunes that had the right "driving rhythm". (I used to autocross to music!) Under my helmet I was able to hear the tunes and hear/feel shift points, and yes, hear the "ring-a-ding-ding" of the SAAB. So what's the problem with ear protection? :shock:

I have faith (don't ask me why!), everything is going to be OK with all this noise control stuff when all is said and done.

Madamoiselle Fieux
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

dspgti wrote:Those aren't ear protectors, they are ipod head sets. They are listening to Lead Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. :lol:
Ok, that's it. I've been able to stay silent and ignore this up until now, through many posts. But this time, Dave, you've gone too far, and I just can't take it anymore.

That's Led Zeppelin.

:lol:
(sorry, couldn't resist).

Ok, no more comments from the peanut gallery.
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

I knew it didn't look right. :oops: Even if we had spell checker, it wouldn't have helped me there. :?

Dave Y
Speednation
Racer
Current Racecar: 4 Hondas and 1 Neon

Post by Speednation »

Could we get this done sooner than later, so those of us who are preparing their cars can make arrangements? Please don't make a rule change 1/2 through the season, or enforce certain rules for one class that you don't for another. Just please make a decision by February, and then enforce it equally. Maybe Obama can appoint a Noise Czar for us.
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

This is only my opinion and will need to be discussed at the PHA meeting(s) but...

My suggestion would be to propose a rule and means to measure it and use the 2010 season to collect data, adjust the rule and measurement process as needed and advise people of where they stand with respect to that rule which would take effect in 2011 and would apply to allow hillclimb participants. I certainly don't condone mid season rule changes or rules that are applied with insufficient time for people to properly prepare.
~Matt Rowe
TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Post by TKnorr »

I generaly agree with Matt. In 2008, I thought we agreed to encourage driver’s to first address the issue with their own cars and make necessary changes and any steward who found a car to be possibly detrimental to anyone’s ears should be told that changes were necessary to avert possible future problems. In 2008, I observed a number of entrants that made changes to their cars to address the noise issue or changed their driving behavior to reduce the noise level until they got to the start line. I still think this is the best solution to the problem (or at a least a good starting point) There is not a direct correlation between a meter’s reading and the effect it has on the human ear. The decibel level is not the only variable; the pitch is equally important. Certainly, drivers need a reasonable amount of time to correct a problem.
Tom Knorr
Tom Knorr
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Deleted
Last edited by Mwilson on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Matt Rowe »

I have been in favor of the common sense approach, however it appears there are a few people unwilling to follow suggestions. There are individuals that have stated a rule is required before they will change their behavior and so we will start talking about what rule is needed.
~Matt Rowe
Mwilson
Novice

Post by Mwilson »

Deleted
Last edited by Mwilson on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

Just an FYI:

As we all know, perception is not always reality, so I thought I’d let you in on a “SAAB secret”. Some of you may not know that Chuck was approached 2 years ago by a PHA official who asked that the SAAB run towards the end of the run groups. Essentially, the SAAB should be run when the line is short so folks wouldn’t have to listen to the necessary revving needed to keep the plugs from fouling. We have been doing that since that time, even with our meager runs at this year’s Fall Weatherly.
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

I think we should make an effort to create and enforce some sort of rule in 2010. I mean, geez, how long does it take to put a muffler or two on a car?

Rich Rock
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Lets all drop back and punt. (It is football season, ya know)

This is a very simple issue to resolve. Either a new db standard could be set, or, everyone is going to conform to the 103db level. OR, nothing changes.

I'm good with whatever is considered as long as it isn't targetting one car or another.

Actually, maybe we should start a poll.

LOWER THE db LEVEL - Y or N
KEEP THE db LEVEL AS STATED IN THE GCR - Y or N
DO NOTHING- Y or N

Does this site have poll capability? If not, we can go to another site and conjure one up.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mwilson
Novice

Post by Mwilson »

Deleted
Last edited by Mwilson on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

f.Noise limiters are suggested for any car whose sound level is above the decibel levels outlined in the GCR. For the Jefferson track events, the sound level is 95dba.

That is off the supps sheet for Duryea. I don't have any others on my pc to look at for reference. But the TTR is telling us to read the GCR and 'suggests' we follow it. So anyone who isn't following it, is fine. However, since a few complaints were made about a small number of cars, we'll all have to follow some sort of guideline sooner or later.

What I am suggesting is to impliment the GCR db level of 103db and go from there. The poll I mentioned was in reference to the 103db level mandated by the GCR for Club Racing events. I'd like to know how many people would like to see us conform that level.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mel Horn
Novice

WHAT? I SAID HEARING PROTECTION IS STRONGLY SUGGESTED !

Post by Mel Horn »

To be proactive:

I don't remember seeing this in supplementary regulations recently, but back in the day there was an occasional event where we were told "no open exhaust cars before..." a certain time, say, 8 AM. For all I know it's still in effect.

However:

Might we post a sign or two around pits, start line, etc., along the lines of "EAR PROTECTION STRONGLY SUGGESTED", and further suggest to some of our vendors that they include various forms of ear protection along with T-shirts, etc? I would imagine that the Weatherly Hillclimb Assn (for one) might be very amenable to this idea.

Or an enterprizing entrpeneur could do it...
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Mwilson
Novice

Post by Mwilson »

mrevilracing wrote:

What I am suggesting is to impliment the GCR db level of 103db and go from there. The poll I mentioned was in reference to the 103db level mandated by the GCR for Club Racing events.

There are other options available other than mandating any db level. As I said there are people that have solutions and suggestions to this problem. Be patient.
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

http://www.pahillclimb.org/Entry_Forms/ ... therly.pdf
http://www.pahillclimb.org/Entry_Forms/ ... untain.pdf

Mel, those are the only 2 I could find to link. The supps list what I stated in my last post. I only stated what was in the supps because there is a reference to the GCR regarding the sound issue.

Morg, I'm being patient. I haven't made any suggestion that needs to be implimented now. But as we float some suggestions on this board, there may be other folks that have some input. And I'm putting myself into that catagory of people that have 'solutions to this problem'. I understand it isn't a large problem, but it could affect several or many.

Matt, you can answer this: is it possible that each region can have their own set of supps? For example, NEPA could state: f. Noise limiters are suggested for any car whose sound level is above the decibel levels outline in the GCR. and BMR could state: f. Decibel levels may not exceed 95db. ??? In essence, Giants Despair could have the GCR to follow if they choose, and Pagoda/Duryea could have a lower db level due to the close proximity of homes.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mwilson
Novice

Post by Mwilson »

Deleted
Last edited by Mwilson on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Matt Rowe »

mrevilracing wrote:Matt, you can answer this: is it possible that each region can have their own set of supps? For example, NEPA could state: f. Noise limiters are suggested for any car whose sound level is above the decibel levels outline in the GCR. and BMR could state: f. Decibel levels may not exceed 95db. ??? In essence, Giants Despair could have the GCR to follow if they choose, and Pagoda/Duryea could have a lower db level due to the close proximity of homes.
Part of the reason behind the formation of PHA was to standardize the rules between events so that people did not have to face different preparation rules depending on where they were racing that weekend. I don't see any reason why we would change that fundamental principle. But if you have a specific reason I would be interested to hear it.
~Matt Rowe
Mwilson
Novice

Post by Mwilson »

Deleted
Last edited by Mwilson on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.