More on Brynfan Tyddyn

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

More on Brynfan Tyddyn

Post by svann »

I just got a new issue of Vintage Motorsport (Mar/Apr) and it has a great article on the Brynfan Tyddyn road races that we discussed a few months ago. It is 10 pages and mentions many people by name. There is mention of Giant's Despair as a companion event and has several photos. One shot shows masses of spectators and mentions a figure of 50,000 in 1954. It is written by Carl Goodwin. I've got to visit this road when I'm up there this year. It says that the basic road has not been changed much over the years.
Stan Vann
Mel Horn
Novice

Brynfan Tyddyn (don't they use any vowels except 'y'?)

Post by Mel Horn »

Great Article...only thing missing was a course map. They could have used the one posted here.

What about having an informal meeting/rally either on the Friday before Giant's or on an off Saturday...is there someplace close to have a PHA meeting? Scare the hell out of some folks. I'll even show you where the Berwick road course was supposed to be (pointed out by the manager of our Berwick store).

Also, the article before it is about the first female to ever grace my early 60's bedroom wall (well, her picture...) All us dirty old men (and that's you, Joe!) remember Donna Mae Mims...
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Mel - We are SO old! I have a picture of my MGA at the Berwick Road Races in 59. It had the ugliest rollbar, when most of the cars had none. In the shot are Carl Mugford & John Noble in black & white striped Offical shirts.
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

More on Brynfan Tyd

Post by Joe Foering »

Donna Mae Mims...THINK PINK!...drove the wheels off her Sprite...mouth like a trooper...the Setter (or was it Sutter) Inn after the Vineland races...but I notice some of us are still at it. I have some of that history on 8mm film.
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Thanks, Joe

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Joe,

Thanks for making my Mom feel so, old and I don't see the big deal about Donna Mae Mims. My Mom drove in National road races in 1961 with an Austin Healey 3000 that she flat towed behind a 1959 Chevy Belair convertible with my older sister and brother in the back seat. She did this all by herself!
My parents first date was at the Setter Inn. That was 5 yrs. after my Dad first meet my Mom on the startline at the 1961 Giant's Despair. She was in her A-H 3000 and my Dad was in his A-H 100-4.

Rich

ps My Mom did beat my Dad at Giants in 1961. That was the only time that she did :wink: .
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Sue Salsburg wrote:Mel - We are SO old! I have a picture of my MGA at the Berwick Road Races in 59. It had the ugliest rollbar, when most of the cars had none. In the shot are Carl Mugford & John Noble in black & white striped Offical shirts.
Suz-

The article also shows an MGA leading a couple TDs(TFs, whatever?).
Could it be...?
Mel Horn
Mel Horn
Novice

Re: Thanks, Joe

Post by Mel Horn »

Rich Sweigart wrote:
and I don't see the big deal about Donna Mae Mims.
I do. In fact, I could think of a couple of things...(She WAS a tad before your time...if not mine.)

At the time I was going to VERY conservative Milton Hershey School (I went to HS 300' from Hershey Hillclimb)and Donna's picture was from Look Magazine. Suffice to say the only reason it was allowed on my wall was that she was (a) in Nomex and (b) in an MGB.
Mel Horn
svann
Novice

Post by svann »

A couple of years ago the group running the fast solos on the airport over in Cumberland, Md. had her as Grand Marshal for one of their two day events. They run a few of these every year now and they are a fun event with near solo 1 speeds. See http://www.nationalroadrally.com
Stan Vann
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Mel,

Yes, it was before my time. I guess I wasn't impressed when I meet Donna Mae Mims at a Porsche club event in the mid-80's. I was more interested in listening to the stories that Bruce Jennings(Donna Mae's date), Charlie Beidler, Bob Holbert, and my Dad were telling that night about the old days of Reisentoter.

Rich
Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

Post by Matt Green »

svann wrote:A couple of years ago the group running the fast solos on the airport over in Cumberland, Md. had her as Grand Marshal for one of their two day events. They run a few of these every year now and they are a fun event with near solo 1 speeds. See http://www.nationalroadrally.com
Hey Stan-

Is that near the MD/WV border? Have you been there? Do you have any pics or anything?

I'm asking because I've been asked by a few clubs now about running a L2 or L3 Time Trial there (since that's essentially what the autocrosses there were anyway...) and I'd like a little background before I take some people out to do a course inspection.
Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?
svann
Novice

Cumberland, MD.

Post by svann »

Matt,
Yes I went over in 2003 and ran one of their weekends. It was great and is run on the exact same airport runways that SCCA use to hold Nationals on. In fact, the idea was to commemorate that famous history. The website has alot of information, results, photos (both historic and current) and contacts. They have scheduled 6 weekends this year I believe. Donna Mae was there in 2003 for the National Rally weekend. They have tremendous support from the town. It is located right on the state line.
Stan Vann
Matt Green
Novice
Current Racecar: I race other people's cars

Post by Matt Green »

Yeah, I was browsing the site earlier today. I can see several configurations that may work (of course, that's a very cursory survey too). I'm definitely going to have to get some people to run down with me some time and do an inspection.

Do you know how far it is from Summit? Looks to be about 1.5hrs or less...

BTW- sorry to hijack the topic :)
Matthew A. Green --- mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com
M"squared" Racing! --- http://www.msquaredracing.com/
Former Chair- TTAC and TTSC

Can I drive your car?
Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

I would guess approx 1 1/2 hrs from Summit is fair.

What would be wrong with having an early start to the season and running a track event down there in April or so. Our season starts too late.
Mel Horn