Officially looking for a trailer and/or tow vehicle ...

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

JekylandHyde
Novice

Officially looking for a trailer and/or tow vehicle ...

Post by JekylandHyde »

I got $6 ~ 7K to spend and I would prefer something in the north east US.

I am considering:

*Covered trailer that can also be a second "garage" for storage at home.
I would need some sort of Tow vehicle for that as well.

*An open trailer would be a possibility if it is cheap enough

*The "haulers" ~ I have seen a few on eBay that are basically a pipckup truck with a long, flat angled bed with a winch. Like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=84151
OR THIS:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... egory=5348
If anyone has any leads (or suggestions), I would greatly apprecaite it :)
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
Roy
Novice

Post by Roy »

Wow, I was just about to say "that first truck is BEAT", but then I clicked on the second link.

I bought my tow vehicle and trailer about 1 year ago, and I had about the same amount of money to spend. Here's the story.

First I looked at tow vehicles. My ideal purchase would've been a less than 5 year old ford 4x4 pickup truck (with a manual tranny). After searching the entire lehigh valley, I found two. One was a small V8 F150, with a 100,000 miles. Dealer (vinart) wanted 12K for it, and would not budge on the price. They wanted me to sign some legal forms before they would negotiate. I told them shove it. Second truck was at the Ford in Nazareth (can't remember they're name). They had a pristine F250 diesel 4x4. Asking price was 20K. I was scared off by the diesel, but in retrospect I should've jumped on it... that truck was awesome.

I ended up ordering a brand spanking new 1500 Ram. Got the small V8 (240 HP, 2xx torque, "I ain't got a hemi"), manual gearbox, short bed, tow package, LSD, tow mirrors for $16,800. Put down 5K, financed the rest for 5 years (something like $275 a month). I actually only had about 6K to spend, so I bought the trailer from TP trailers in limerick on my credit card. It was about $1800 after taxes and registration.

Several people told me that towing with a manual tranny (in a light duty fullsize) with a short wheelbase would be hairy, but I would seriously have to say that they are a bunch of wimps. The truck+trailer combo has towed as far as Minnesota (for the Ojibwe Forest Rally), a total of 14,000 miles so far, with little difficulty. You have to be gentle with the clutch, but the truck will idle up light grades in 1st gear towing 1000 pounds of gear in the bed, and a 4100 pound trailer.

So for about $7K and a $275 a month payment, you can have a pretty nice tow package. Enclosed trailers pretty much require a heavy duty tow rig... no way my truck could pull it easily.
1989 Suzuki Swift Racecar
2000 Subaru Impreza RS
2004 Dodge Ram 1500
2006 Suzuki DR-Z400SM
jimmyp
Novice

Re: Officially looking for a trailer and/or tow vehicle ...

Post by jimmyp »

JekylandHyde wrote:I got $6 ~ 7K to spend and I would prefer something in the north east US...
If anyone has any leads (or suggestions), I would greatly apprecaite it :)
Try < http://www.racingjunk.com >
One stop shopping.

As Roy posted dont discount buying new...
I looked at a million truck ads last year and the best deal I found (with all the rebates and incentives in place) was buying a new truck.
I put 6K down and got a brand new 2WD / F350 / V10 / Auto / XLT package out the door for $21k. Yes thats $21 K total out the door for a brand new truck (with options) I could have done it even cheaper if I went down one grade to a stripped with rubber floor and rollup windows.
Detroit is pushing some great deals...

But saving that,,, try http://www.racingjunk.com , always LOTS of choices on there. I sold my old truck on there in a week.

HTH
jimmy p.

#98 BMW M3 - ITE
Jimmy P.
#98 Silver BMW M3 - ITE
jgrausa
Novice

Post by jgrausa »

I did this search a couple years ago and have a few suggestions:
1) Used tow vehicles are easier to find than used trailers
2) Automatic transmissions are rated for heavier towing loads than manual trannys
3) 4x4 have a lower total cargo rating (rig and trailer) than 2WD
3) Don't overlook using a cargo van as a tow vehicle, in 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton they are rated for similar tow capacities as a truck.
4) If you are looking for a dedicated tow vehicle, consider a used diesel ambulance - they have plenty of room, most are 1 ton, and make a great camper with shore power/heating/a/c.

I think one of the best values is a new Haulmark (20', dual 3500 lb axels) mated to a used 2WD 3/4 ton auto tranny (most 3/4 ton are rated for 7,000 lbs towing capcity). With this rig you can tow 3500lb car and accessories. If you have lighter requirments, you may be able to go with a 1/2 ton.
Good luck in your search

Regards,
Joe Rausa
1970 Porsche 911
1997 Cheetah DSR
2000 20' Shadowmaster enclosed trailer
2004 Ford F250 2WD (work truck/tow vehciel)
eimc
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 46

Post by eimc »

I have a open trailer thats about 1 year old (TWF) It's a 14 ft. with spare tire ,full metal plated (not open in the middle) with a winch and battery mounted. Tows great and maneuvers in tight spots (my fenced in compound ) good. Call me at my business if any interest. (717) 238-1810 (Harrisburg) ask for Paul

PS I towed the 1972 red white and blue Datsun 510 #46 last year to PHA events.
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6