I Survived the Pagoda Hillclimb

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

I Survived the Pagoda Hillclimb

Post by dspgti »

In spite of all the doom and gloom we all expected for this year (myself included) Hillclimbing IS ALIVE AND WELL in PHA. Many new faces WITH some new race cars and some older revived race cars and lots of smiles and comments of "having the time of thier lives" were heard. I didn't see the final count BUT with a couple of drop outs and some late arrivals we probably had around 87 drivers. That might be a record turnout for Pagoda. The first two events saw unusually high numbers as well.

Even with all the entries, we still got a fair number of runs. That had a lot to do with staying safe (I only towed one car after an incident off the race course) great organizing, sufficient volunteers (can always use more).

The only negative I can come up with is Crowd Control. And you wonder why organizers have been reluctant to advertize in the past. That and getting control of the spectator cars getting past the barracades. We will have to work on that for Duryea because we should expect a capacity turn out for that one as well.

My hat is off to the BMR members that stepped up to make this event happen. Several new ideas were tried. Some will work out, others not. One in particular idea that I liked was, "no trophies till the tear down is done."

GREAT JOB EVERYONE. OFFICIALS, WORKERS, DRIVERS, CREWS :D

Dave Y
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Re: I Survived the Pagoda Hillclimb

Post by FV95 »

I concur fully with all of the above! And, I want to complement the novices for approaching this event with care, and as competitors. I did not have to use the "poison pen" on any of the logbooks, AND quite a number of novices took home trophies and at least two set new hill records. Congrats on your great runs, and thanks for bringing well prepared cars and staying away from the rocks, trees and guard rails. Your participation added to the success of the event AND your performance allowed everyone to get a lot of timed runs (was it 9 or 10?).
I do have a small complaint: PLEASE pick up your novice permits after the last run and before trophy presentation at all events. I will NOT mail them. For those of you who did not pick them up, I will drop them at registration for Giant's Despair.
SteveTC
Novice

Thanks from a Novice

Post by SteveTC »

For my first attempt at a hill climb, I just want to commend the PHA and BMR for putting on a well run event. I want to especially thak John, Joe, Rich and George for going above and beyond to get me into the event. Thanks also to the workers, especially those on the starting line who were as enthusiatic on my last run as on my first, and who were making sure drivers were securely fastened on the line, and not just going through the motions as it seems so easy to do.

It is interesting that technology has improved to where so many records have fallen, but it should command some real respect for those who are still hoding some very old records, without modern shocks, suspensions, and tire compound innovations.

I learned that my car is way more capable than I will be for some time, but I am ok with that. John, your orientation and pointing out critical areas, as well as a few chats in turnaround helped make the day enjoyable and safe. Overall, I found most folks very friendly and generally a group who truly want others to do well against the hill, much as I found in most SCCA events, even though everyone wants to win.

I take videos at most events to which I go, and did so here as well. I put them up on Youtube, and would like to have feedback frm the group as to how I was doing as far as lines, breaking, accelerating, etc, other than comments about needing to go faster or taking the mufflers off of it :lol:

This was my last run, but you can see all of them under my user ID.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCJP2DsO9gc

Thanks very much and see you at Giant's Despair.

Steve
#05 Subaru juSTI
camaroz1985
Novice
Current Racecar: 98 Subaru Impreza RS - SM

Post by camaroz1985 »

It was my first event as well, and like Steve I had a great first experience. I too would like to thank everyone involved for making it a great event, and keeping everything running smoothly. All competitors and workers were very friendly, and willing to help. If all events go this well its no wonder entrants are increasing. Looking forward to seeing everyone again shortly.

Somebody just needs to slow Jeremy down :D
Ryan Hetrick
#308 SM
georgebowland
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 114
Current Racecar: Bowland Boys Racing Shark
Special I

Post by georgebowland »

I want to double the dittos on a job well done. Certainly one of the best hillclimbs I have attended in my 27 years of doing this. You guys up here just keep getting better, and the turnout shows that effort is worth it.

I especially want to thank Dave Yeager for using his Rollback to pull that 800# tree off the front of our motorhome after the storm Friday evening. And he did it without even damaging a windshield wiper. Dave, I owe you a steak when I see you next.
George
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Thanks to all the folks that put the effort in to make this a great event!

I really had a blast and couldn't have asked for much more at a hillclimb. There is so much to tell but i don't have time at the moment. I even made it back home without much rain (which helps on really bald street tires). I wouldv'e liked to lend a hand with cleanup but its kinda a pain to get everything packed up and ready for the drive. SO thanks to all that did lend a hand. I would also like to thank all the sponsers. Especially CJ's tire since i walked away with a nice prize. And i'll even make a plug here. I have been running on a set of TOYO R888 at every event this season and i couldn't be happier. Even with a set of Hoosiers on deck, these tires just do what i ask of them. I will take a set of long lasting, reasonable priced, and fast tires any day. So if your in the market for tires don't forget to support the guys that support the hills. I did!
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Post by Joe Foering »

A special thanks and a "hearty well done" to the tech inspectors team that helped make the event relatively "painless" (with one exception-me) despite the downpours on Friday. Thanks to Kurt, Steve and Matt who teched even though they didn't run and to the Witmans, John Pitman, and Sue who found the time to tech and compete. Giant's Despair is in two weeks and we do it all over again.
Joe Foering, Chief of Tech.
Last edited by Joe Foering on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

georgebowland wrote: I especially want to thank Dave Yeager for using his Rollback to pull that 800# tree off the front of our motorhome after the storm Friday evening. And he did it without even damaging a windshield wiper. Dave, I owe you a steak when I see you next.
George
The "thank you" was all that was needed. You don't owe me anything. That is what we do and you never hesitate to step in a lend a hand when anyone else needs it.

Were lucky or just that good? It was a group effort. I just brought in the "heavy equipment".

Dave Y
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

The only picture that came out

Dave Y
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Thank you all for the kind words! It was a team effort, and I have to thank everyone who contributed to that effort. Too many names to mention and I don't want to forget anyone. So, to everyone who helped, even if it was just a little, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Lots of good things happened, but we did have some things go wrong. We were lucky that we got through them without a major problem. We'll address the issues and have a plan in place for Duryea.

Thanks again everyone!

Rich Rock
BMR Hillclimb Chairman
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

I love you guys!
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799