Impact Racing Product Recall

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Impact Racing Product Recall

Post by Steve Tumolo »

I just got this e-mail and I wanted to pass it along.

RACING MEMO
DATE: March 31, 2009 NUMBER: RM09-01
TO: All Participants
SUBJECT: Impact Racing Product Recall
IMPACT RACING PRODUCT RECALL
Any and all driver suits, pants, jackets, shoes and boots manufactured by Impact Racing pursuant to SFI Specifications 3.2A/15, 3.2A/20, 3.3/15 and 3.3/20 at any time during the year 2008 have been decertified by SFI Foundation, Inc. and must be immediately returned to Impact Racing offices or an Impact representative. Impact Racing has reason to believe that these products do not fully comply with the stated SFI Specifications and therefore do not meet SFI manufacturer certification requirements. This recall applies to all such products whether or not they have been updated, rebadged, or recertified by Impact Racing. This recall applies even if the product now has a 2009 SFI patch or label affixed to the product. All applicable sanctioning bodies have been notified of this noncompliance.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Rich Rock
Racer

Re: Impact Racing Product Recall

Post by Rich Rock »

Steve,

You're not complaining about the 250lb increase in minimum weight for A-Sedan Mustangs?

Rich Rock
Steve Tumolo
Novice

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Not gonna complain about it yet Rich. Last time I checked the weight change did not effect the '79 to '93 FOX Mustangs unless over 313 cubic inches and/or changing to the aluminum Edelbrock heads.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Post by Joe Foering »

A notice on the Impact site says this applies to DRAG Racing Suits /15 and /20 so it shouldn't affect us.
Steve Tumolo
Novice

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Unless somebody finds this stuff cheap on E-Bay or a closeout online. It is true that the recalled items have a rating above what we require but if SCCA National cares enough to put out a bulletin it should be on our radar shouldn't it? We don't require FIA rated suits but people have them. I am just looking out for you guys. It would be easy for a tech inspector to look at a SFI rating that high and assume it is ok. Did you hear the one about someone looking for a SFI patch on a FIA rated suit not finding it and telling the driver the suit is no good because there is no SFI patch? Even after the driver tried to explain that FIA suits do not have SFI patches. But that's not my story to tell. I am just trying to make a point that everyone needs to be on the same page and sometimes that doesn't happen. :D
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Post by Joe Foering »

Steve, I certainly agree about being on the same page and that's why I hold a tech seminar at the beginning of the season-so that all tech inspectors are on the same page when it comes to teching cars and gear. I read your initial post and went to the Impact site; it will be one of the topics at the seminar in that, if someone show up with an Impact suit, we will examine it more closely to see if it is one of the suits that Impact is recalling. Thanks for the heads-up!
Steve Tumolo
Novice

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Rock on Joe, and Thank you for putting in the work needed to help make sure tech goes as fast ,smooth and thorough as it needs to be.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

Steve Tumolo wrote:Unless somebody finds this stuff cheap on E-Bay or a closeout online. It is true that the recalled items have a rating above what we require but if SCCA National cares enough to put out a bulletin it should be on our radar shouldn't it? We don't require FIA rated suits but people have them. I am just looking out for you guys. It would be easy for a tech inspector to look at a SFI rating that high and assume it is ok. Did you hear the one about someone looking for a SFI patch on a FIA rated suit not finding it and telling the driver the suit is no good because there is no SFI patch? Even after the driver tried to explain that FIA suits do not have SFI patches. But that's not my story to tell. I am just trying to make a point that everyone needs to be on the same page and sometimes that doesn't happen. :D

LOL. I actually had that story happen to me last year. We looked for the SFI patch for about 5 min and couldn't find it. Then i said something along the lines of "well it has the FIA patch , isn't that a higher rating then SFI? It was an honest mistake and to tell you the truth i had no idea mysef. I was actually alittle nervous for a sec that i bought an expensive suit that didn't meet the the requirements. :D (Actually the wife bought it as a present when i started racing, so it wouldn't have been suprised! If fact i told her the minimum requirement and the sales guy talked her into a higher rating suit, with the time difference between me being a burnt piece of toast vs just very warm)
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
Fprodget
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 67
Current Racecar: 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera

Post by Fprodget »

I think those here know this, But I want to point out that the GCR spefically mentions a FIA certification along with the SFI for driving suits and other apparel:

Excerpt from the 2009 GCR:

"Driving suits that effectively cover the body from the neck to
the ankles and wrists. One piece suits are highly recommended.
All suits shall bear an SFI 3.2A/1 or higher certification label
or FIA 1986 Standard or FIA 8856-2000 homologation label.
Underwear of fire resistant material shall be used except with
suits carrying FIA 1986 Standard, or FIA 8856-2000 label or
SFI 3-2A/5 or higher (e.g., /10, /15, /20) Certification Patch."
John Holliday
Lancaster PA
86 911 Carrera