Thank you PHA!!

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Thank you PHA!!

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

Sorry if it's drawn out. I type as much as I talk.... :oops:

So, Jenna & I spent the last week or so in Florida for our yearly vacation. Had a blast, went to Disney on my Birthday and had just an all out good time the whole vacation.

I drove the Mach down so I could check out the NMRA opening car show @ Bradenton Motorsports Park. Ended up empty handed on Saturday but took home Event winner for Daily Driver and Race Car (long story). Plenty of people recognized the car from the magazine article and thought it was cool. I received COUNTLESS "you guy's are nuts" comments and a few people had actually attended an event or two in the past when living up this way. Many more checked out vids or info on the web. The article drummed up some eye's on our sport that's for sure, granted those people are in the totally wrong region, but if they noticed it that means people IN our region did as well which is good...

Now, on to why I'm thanking the PHA...

We pack up the Mach early Friday morning for the trip back. Plans to stop in Savannah for some tourist stuff, dinner etc etc... We bang out onto I95 outta Savannah around 6-630 as it's getting dark, up through the back way into SC, back to I95. I set the cruise at roughly 85-90 (speed limit is 70). About halfway through SC, sure enough I see the cherries (well, LED) I pull over and do my routine I do when I get stopped (yes I have a routine).

Well, it comes time for me to hand over the info and the Trooper asks me about the stickers on the Mach (currently race ready sticker wise) and if I actually race it etc etc.. My response of course is yes, I race it. He makes a comment about drag racing and I say "actually I don't drag race it I hill climb it" we exchange a few Q&A about hillclimbing and the thought pops into my head! I have an iPhone which, has a YouTube ready application on it, which my vids are on. So, as he's walking away I scramble to pull up a vid and tell him I have one ready for him to view if he'd like. So he takes the phone and starts watching my Polish Mountain vid. He calls over his backup and the two of them are standing there, on the side of I95, watching hill climb vids having a good ol' time. He hands Jenna back the phone and say's he'll be right back..

He comes back up to the car and say's; Now... we don't have any hills down here and there's no doubt in my mind you have the ability to drive a lot faster then 85 safely as seen in those vids but this isn't a hill, please slow down.

Hands Jenna my warning, and off we go....

Thanks PHA! :D

Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
Mark Aubele
Novice

Re: Thank you PHA!!

Post by Mark Aubele »

That's pretty funny, I got out of a lot of tickets in the mustang as well. It seems some boys in blue appreciate an obnoxiously loud flat black mustang with 275's up front and 4.5 degrees of negative camber on the street :). I got pulled over once and the cop asked me why I was only going 53 in a 35!
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

I've been picked off in the trips in a 50 zone.. I got yanked out, torn up and down by 3 troopers and then had to explain everything about the car, pop the hood etc to be let off with a seatbelt ticket..

Granted, I know I shouldn't be speeding, but not all cops have to be DB's about it lol
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

NJ 03Mach1 wrote:I've been picked off in the trips in a 50 zone.. I got yanked out, torn up and down by 3 troopers and then had to explain everything about the car, pop the hood etc to be let off with a seatbelt ticket..

Granted, I know I shouldn't be speeding, but not all cops have to be DB's about it lol
Adam, You live in NJ. Everybody gets just a seat belt ticket even if you wear a seat belt. If you get more than a seat belt, go to court, they plead it down to a seat belt. The insurace companies are getting smart. Three seat belt tickets and your insurance goes up. They know the drill.

Be carefull. The 20 MPH grace that State Troopers have given in the past is now down to 10MPH. They need the money! In local areas 6 MPH is now the rule. Don't say I didn't warn you. And for those that drive in NJ from out of state, they will be tougher on you.

Dave Y
Jim Leininger
Novice
Current Racecar: A transmission

Post by Jim Leininger »

Great story ADAM, LOL!