mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Lines

Post by mrevilracing »

Follow this line if you can!

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa23 ... t=Mark.flv

Since ya can't post in VIDEOS, I thought I'd start a new thread.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Re: Lines

Post by dspgti »

I assume that you picked out Mark's worst run to get me to make remarks on his line? I'm not going to fall for that one. It's too obvious. :twisted:

Dave Y.
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Actually, this was his best run and the record setter. After I saw/taped it, I went to him, and he'll verify this, and asked him what he was doing by continuing the turn 1/2 way down the straight. Bad line or not on exit, it was a 57sec run.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

Thanks a lot Steve! I was like a foot off the apex, I think that was one of the three times I missed it all weekend. Oddly enough, that was one of my fastest runs of the weekend (I had gone 57.9 on saturday as well), and probably the ugliest. I was turning away from that hole, I guess I figured I would just continue across the track.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Hmmm, a foot off the apex (my guess was 5 feet or more?)? track out too early, over correct onto the straight and still set a record? Maybe the rest of us need to rethink "the line". :shock: When I do that, I loose about 1-1/2 seconds to 2 seconds (done that many, many times). Maybe I need more horse power to make it up somewhere esle? :wink:
After all, isn't our best run the fastest we can go with the least amount of mistakes? The perfect run is the one we went slow enough to get it all right. When has anyone said, "that record run was perfect"? Maybe George B. can say it, but I doubt it. You just string together a bunch of scarey parts and hope it is good enough.
But let me interject this point. A late or missed apex is by far, faster and safer than an early apex. "Friends don't let friends early apex" .

Dave Y
I'm not an expert, just someone who made a lot of mistakes and tries to avoid repeating them and willing to share them with my friends. :)
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Well, Mark. You could follow this one.

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa23 ... whoops.flv
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

I think one of the things with that particular corner is that I'm convinced there is no "apex". There may be two. That run I just stayed inside the whole turn, I never even apexed, I tracked out when I could. I tried late, early, double, and just plain staying inside, and found that staying inside was just as fast. I think that if Steve would've videotaped another part of the course I would've shown a more textbook racing line. Sometimes "the racing line" just isn't as fast, as any autocrosser I'm sure would agree.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

I have other video of you exiting that corner very well. yes, the apex may not be the fastest way thru the corner for a specific car. However, this is a road course and the line here is way different than on a hill.

Oh, I didn't post the other video, just because. But if you're really needing to see it, I can post. No problem. I also have the sandbagger braking way early into turn 1.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

There is probaly no turn that has evoked so much discussion and disagreemant than Turn 1-2 in the CCW direction at Jefferson. Every weekend has included a walk around and livley accounts of why a particular driver's line is the best. On several occations, I suggested we have driver improvement talks in the classroom to help veterans as well as new arrivals. I'd love to see that come together.

What we really need is "Data Aquisition". I keep talking about it. Maybe this is the year I will make the investment.

Dave Y
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

What would help a specific driver is a video being taken from that gazebo. You'd be able to see what the car is doing into and thru the turn as well as set up thru the S's. My car seems to always want to have the back end come around just as I start my turn in. The crown is pretty severe there and MY car wants to do things that may be different from someone elses. I could turn in early and get on the correct side of the crown but that sets me up to completely miss the entrance to the S's. So, I just deal with the crown and slide thru 1. Those course workers in 1 saw that first hand. Granted, I was on streets but it was fun. Better when you don't have to battle trees. Can I enter an M1 Abrahms at Duryea in a new class? S10 maybe? Then I'll do battle with some trees.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

bump
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Does anyone know how to edit video's ?

Dave Y
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Just get some video editing software. I use Ulead Video Studeo 11. Relatively inexpenseive at about $100 if I remember correctly.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Still need video editing, Dave? I just completed one with a compilation of several courses in '08. It's downloading to youtube now. Probably won't be finished in their servers for a good 1/2 hour.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Yes, but first I need VHS tapes transfered to DVD. Can you do that?

Dave
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

I haven't done it yet. Might have to get an additional card to accept RCA jacks and put it in my pc. Let me check into that.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!