PHA MARKETING

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Cumberland Racer
Novice

Re: PHA MARKETING

Post by Cumberland Racer »

Great stuff, guys.

Rich, the wonderful part of marketing brainstorming is that there are no wrong answers. We don't have to agree on the "biggest" reason why more folks don't hill climb if we work to address various barriers with multi-front marketing pitches. There is no doubt that one of the barriers to "moving up" to hill climbing from DE and solo likely is the cost of safety modifications and the uncertainty involved in taking on the rule book as a backyard mechanic and getting through tech when you finally come out. Sounds like the best idea for a newbie category is for it be an SP related category that allows for lower safety mod costs. The other parallel solution is to also court club racers because they have already spent the money to be safety legal in other classes...with various real and perceived benefits offered up to open that door wider.

Multiple barriers to participation exist, no way of telling which ones are insurmountable and which ones can be overcome until a concerted effort puts our best foot forward on each front and we see if any of these categories of prospects begin to show up in entry lists.
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

BMR now has someone in a newly created position. Publicity Chairman. His name is Barry Zettlemoyer and he is the guy who takes care of our website http://www.BMR-SCCA.org The website has been lacking content, but I expect things to dramatically improve in the near future. Barry has lots of energy and ideas. He's going to do a great job, and he'll do it through several channels, not just the internet.

As for enticing new drivers, I'm all for trolling all the waters. Getting guys who are already roadracers to come hillclimbing will be real tough, though. I can think of several former hillclimbers who went roadracing and now we rarely if ever see them competing at a hill. A few of them are regulars on this forum!!!! Why? I think it's because hillclimbing isn't what they consider real racing. There's no wheel to wheel competition. I don't think we'll get them back by promising a great party, or a one-day entry fee, or be able to convince them how cool it is to camp out in a field with no electricity or running water.

Rich Rock
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

I know this is jumping around here a bit. We are talking about markets to target and haven't gotten into specific advertising of a particular event but I just wanted to share this with you to file under future ideas.
On the thread regarding a new undeclared class, the question came up about Exhibition runs. I don't know if the term fits today, but we do have allowances to take a passenger for a ride, in a race car, on course, at something less than race speed for educational or promotional purposes. We have used this at Pagoda and Duryea to take Press, Radio and TV personalities on a demonstration run. One of the TV programs we did had the Hosts come to Pagoda for the rides and then did a show with videos just before Duryea.

Dave Y
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

The good news is, I found a couple of the Duryea videos. One is the unedited footage of the 50th of Duryea in 2000. It is the raw footage, about an hour and has some very rare shots. A few of Kerry Hitt in the 2000 GT1 Corvette, a few of Lance Smith in the historic Spirit of 76 IMSA Corvette and and the Don Smith in a Vintage Trans Am Camaro. Some are rare because of their vantage point. Once the corner works saw where the videographer was, he got chased away, but not before getting a cool veiw or two. One is pretty funny when you see the him drop his camera when Rob Cambell got out of shape and headed right at him. All the footage is excellent quality. It is all mixed up and needs to edited. The bad news is, it is only half of what we put together. The other raw tape is missing along with the edited version that was used for the TV programs. We taped first at Pagoda and made the edited versions for different TV shows to promote the 50th of Duryea.

The second video I found is a direct copy of the show "Multi- Sports in Berks". It was a copy made by the studio so it is good quality. Some of the footage might be interesting for newcomers showing the saftey gear and answering some common questions. The rest is somewhat entertaining and it ends with an in car video of the run given to one of the hosts as I mentioned before.

Both of the videos are on VHS, need to be transfered and edited. Can anyone do that? I'm going to tell you up front, I'm not turning this over to just anybody. The reason I am missing some of the originals is I gave them to someone to copy and never got them back. We will keep a paper trail on them this time.

Get a hold of me if anyone is interested.

Dave Y
Cumberland Racer
Novice

Post by Cumberland Racer »

Media Advisory/Press Release first drafts on paper (meaning a Word doc has been created for each :). One for SCCA regions with "PHA announces Two Year Schedule" as the header. One for Grassroots Motorsports profile about hill climbing's grand traditions. One for Vintage Racer profile similar to Grassroots version. Will post links to same once they're edited. Will need help from the group on the historic details and "call to action" at the end.
NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

Not that it's much in the "marketing" area, but myself, Mark A, and now Steve have been pushing the site, our pics/vids on various Mustang Forums trying to get some interest. So far that I'm aware of, 1 guy will be joining SM for next season. He's a resident of one of the hill towns... My signature on any site I belong to includes the site address as well as links to pics/vids

The Muscle Mustang & Fast Fords article comes out soon (March Issue) as well. That includes the Forum address in print, some info on what we do etc.. @ 0 cost to us.
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

So, do we make a Mustang class? :D You know, if you show up with a Mustang, here is your class? Doesn't matter what the mods are. If you think you are fast with a Mustang... Beat This! That would be cool!

Dave Y
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

Adam, if you want to use the vid from the M3 at duryea feel free. It may draw in the sideways hat wearing import "stunnas" with the flight of the bumblebee exhaust sounds.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

That's a new one on me. What's a "stunnas"? If it is not a polically correct term, perhaps you should PM me with the answer.

Dave Y
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

No, just a term usually used for typical import driving hacks. Usually seen driving civics with 19's and body kits apparantly molded by their 8 year old brother. Also usually seen wearing baggy pants and impersonating 50 cent. Buys ALL performance parts at pep boys and advance auto parts, because that's where they sell the tight APC shit, yo.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

I understand the meaning. What is the origin? My generation calls them wiggers or "yo boy". I assure you that those terms are not politicaly correct.

Dave Y.
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

Oh I don't know where it came from, and I believe it is politically correct. The man that coined it is probably a genius or road scholar of some sort. It doesn't mean the same thing as the two you mentioned though, it is very general in its use; it can be applied to many forms of import driver.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
Speednation
Racer
Current Racecar: 4 Hondas and 1 Neon

Post by Speednation »

The thing that often stands in the way of novice deciding to try hillclimbing is lack of knowing what to expect. People don't want to show up and feel unprepared. The web site gives a lot of info, but each one of us can describe what is required in simple terms to our friends. Don't overwhelm them with stories or crashes - just keep it simple - car safety and driver gear - that's it. Talk them into just trying it. They don't have to build a car for a specific class - just show up with what they have. We will find a class for them. The first year should be about learning the hills anyway. Once they see what it is like, then they can concentrate on building (or buying) the right car.

Also, all each of us needs to do is to talk 1 person into trying it. Trust me, if you get 1 person, more will follow. It worked rather well in Pittsburgh. Offer your car for a co-drive. I have recruited several people that way. If we all just put forth a little effort, we can keep our sport financially viable. And I LOVE the half price discount for the first hillclimb. Awesome idea. That also makes it easier if you offer your car for a co-drive. After the first event, they will likely get hooked. Our region is seriously void of road racers - only 30 drivers showed up for one of the regionals last year - the club lost HUGE money. Before I got my RR license, I was trying to talk our region into having a driver's school so I wouldn't have to go to Summit, but they felt there wouldn't be enough student enrolled and didn't want to lose money. Well, from that point on they have lost money every year! Driver's schools should be free because they create future paying customers. So we need to make it very easy for a novice to go to their first hillclimb. Once they are hooked, we will have a paying customer for years to come.
Number 56
Novice

Post by Number 56 »

Good points Mike. I drag out drivers with me just to have someone to race with. I don't know of anyone that tried it that didn't come back for more. The only complaint I always hear, and I agree, is the events move too slow. I wish we could run in groups, get the runs in and then plam the next day. Was that Beaver Run with only 30 drivers entered?
The real number 56
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Make it easier for new people to try hillclimbing. This should be a major effort this year. It starts with drivers recruiting new drivers as Mike suggests.

Since safety gear is a major expense, maybe we can come up with a way to lend to a first-timer some, if not all of the required items. You know, assemble a "wardrobe" of donated (or sponsored) items we can lend a newbie or two or three.

As far as half-price or free entries, I think all you do is attract people looking for something for nothing.

Rich Rock
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

I got driver stuff I can make available, 1 piece suit with undies, helmet that will pass, belts maybe pass. I know other drivers have gotten new suits, (we grew out of our old ones). Let's make an inventory?

Half price on first entry? Not sure yet? How about full price with loaner stuff , half price with bring your own??? Just thinking out load here.

How about, bring in a new driver (at full price) and get your entry for free? (Ancas would never have to pay again). Maybe have a co-driver at half price. That way when we have regular drivers that want to share, have the novice pay full and veteran pay half?

I'm on a roll here, but maybe I'd better shut up and see what other ideas might be better.

Dave Y.
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Gang, you have a rare and special person here in Dave Williams. Rarely will you find a professional media guy who also understands motorsport. This guy makes and has made his living in marketing and promotion and has an amazing track record. Listen carefully to his ideas. He knows how to do this. (Do I get a comp entry for Polish, Dave?)
Stan Vann
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

The biggest hurdle I have come across is guys not wanting to put a roll bar in their car.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Stan, I'm just putting out ideas. I haven't heard how many newbies you are bringing to PHA :D The question is how many cabins or bunks can you get comp'ed for me with each entry I bring down?
mrevilracing wrote:The biggest hurdle I have come across is guys not wanting to put a roll bar in their car.
So, what do you tell them, Steve? If someone isn't ready to deface,devalue or inconvienience the usage of their car for racing purposes, they are nowhere ready to risk the loss of the car let alone life or limb. What would they say if you said the word "rollcage" in terms of being the intellegent choice?

Come to think of it, maybe that is why I don't recruit many novices? I guess I'm too blunt.

Dave Y
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

You helped me get into the scene Dave....!!
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799