What class would an Audi A4 1.8T

Hey, do you have a problem with something on your vehicle? Post the problem here someone may just have the answer for you.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead

neonracer193
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 193
Current Racecar: 95 Neon ACR

What class would an Audi A4 1.8T

Post by neonracer193 »

My street car was recently rear ened by a cell phone talking, not paying attenion, SUV bLeeping person!!!! I am waiting for the insurance stuff to go through, but i am pretty sure its totalled. But.. it still runs and drives awesome and a rear bumper and turnk lid would make it look acceptable, so i may buy it back with the salvage title and convert it to a racecar.

Which class could i run it in in TT. It is a 99 audi A4, AWD, 1.8 liter turbo (tiny little turbo). Millers audi is an S4, and i know that is ITE which is kind of a catch all for improved touring. But his car is v6 bi turbo. Would it be Street mod? There is no way an A4 would be competitive in street mod though, so is there class that it could run its stock turbo or is it a case where once your running a turbo, it doesnt matter what size turbo. I know all this is in the rule book, but im sure everyone is bored and wants to talk about racing in the winter anyway. Thanks.
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Re: What class would an Audi A4 1.8T

Post by dspgti »

You are not going to like this answer. The A4 1.8T Quattro is currently not classified in a Club Racing class. You could configure the car as a Challenge Series car like Bill Miller's S4 but then you would run in ITE. Good luck with that. Your alternate would be run in an approved SOLO II class. That is Street Prepared. Unfortunitly, if you read all the current chat going on under the "turbo in SM" thread, you will see that your Audi automatically gets bumped to Street Mod.

No matter how you look at it, you would be in a very tough class.

Dave Y
neonracer193
Novice

Post by neonracer193 »

Thanks Dave,
I Think i get it now. I think i saw somewhere that the A4 is G stock in Solo but PHA rules would override that because of the turbo thing and bump it to SM. Well running stock would just be embarrassing in SM. Is there a limit to the size of turbo you may use in SM, if not there might still be a glimmer of hope. :D I guess the "wise" thing to do would be to part out the A4 to help pay for the 09 season and just continue racing the neon and gaining experience. But..... im not old enough to be wise yet :twisted:
neonracer193
Novice

Post by neonracer193 »

Oh, by the way Dave, Did i see you car on ebay a little while back?
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Not Mine. Are you thinking about Paul Behovefists GT3 Golf?

And you can put on any size turbo, any engine modification or change to the 2.7 V6 twin turbo if you want. GO FOR IT!

Dave Y.
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Or you could keep it stock, prepared to Solo Stock rules and run Showroom Stock X(catch all class for showroom stock cars).

I love my Audis too, 83 4000 and 96 A4 V6. And my VWs, 94 Jetta and 85 Rocco. And my Ford trucks, 90 F250 and 70 F350. And my racers, 84 Reynard Special 2 and 84 Womer FVee.

Rich

OMG, I think I started another flaming post!
Rich Sweigart
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Am I missing something here? SOLO Showroom Stock X? Do you mean Club Racing Showroom Stock? According to the new 2009 GCR the SSB class shows an Audi A4 with a V6 only. I assume that is FWD only since there are no AWD drive cars allowed in Showroom Stock.

Remember, only SP, SMod and Solo V are accepted from SOLO II.

Dave Y.
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

neonracer193 wrote:Thanks Dave,
I Think i get it now. I think i saw somewhere that the A4 is G stock in Solo but PHA rules would override that because of the turbo thing and bump it to SM. Well running stock would just be embarrassing in SM. Is there a limit to the size of turbo you may use in SM, if not there might still be a glimmer of hope. :D I guess the "wise" thing to do would be to part out the A4 to help pay for the 09 season and just continue racing the neon and gaining experience. But..... im not old enough to be wise yet :twisted:
No comment! I can't believe i missed this thread. :D

You can put on as big a turbo as you want in SM.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

Why stop at one of the biggest Turbos? You can can run TWO! How about a turbo for every cylinder? Perfectly legal for the class. How about a nuclear fusion generated impulse warp drive super magnetic anti matter induction reverse gravity levitating negative polarity instant transporter? Perfectly legal under the class rules.

Dave Y.
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

So we just got through talking about Super Touring in the ITE thread. Jeremy sent me a link as to what you could do with your car in Super Touring. Read his reply to me and click on the link. Got a hundred grand?

Dave Y
neonracer193
Novice

Post by neonracer193 »

Where is the ITE thread.

The insurance company wants too much money for me to buy back the car. They say since it was a rear ended low milage good condition car that its worth a lot salvage. So i guess im not making a racecar, damnit. If anyone wants it for 2500 bucks before monday they can have it.

Check out the pics.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4193916
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Did you get an estimate to have it fixed? Was the $2500 the buy out from the insurance company?
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

I'm in the auto salvage business. As a rule of thumb, a car at that age should be worth 10% to 15% of it's Actual Cash Value (that is the current retail value). I haven't kept up with the A4 but I think they are going in the $4,000 to $5,000 range right now. I can usually buy those cars wrecked around $1,200 which is higher than the average but the engines are worth a lot since so many are blowing up due to neglect. I just hope they offered you enough.

Dave Y.
neonracer193
Novice

Post by neonracer193 »

Insurance gave me more than 8k for it, and they want a bit over 2k to buy back, so i wanted about 2500 for it so i can make a few bucks. But i think they are taking it away today so oh well.

How much of a problem would it be if i kept my ECU, its aftermarket and i can sell it. And i am not too happy with them for asking so much for the car, plus i am inconvenienced with having to buy a new car, i can use as much money as possible out of this deal.
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

You got a very good pay out on your car. You are right the buy back was way too high. It was best to let it go. Good luck on your search and let me know if I can help with anything. Just between you and me (and a thousand others on this forum) what if you just pull the chip (or the whole computer and play dumb :twisted: )? They probably would never find out. But you didn't hear that from me. :roll:

Dave Y.