The dog

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

LARRY LONG
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 39
Current Racecar: Bradley

The dog

Post by LARRY LONG »

Please read compete post before responding.

In a recent topic post it was mentioned that I and the Bradley were one of the slowest combination in hillclimbing. It was also suggested my lack of driving skills was responsible for a one mile an hour accident.

That is like telling a hunter his favorite hunting dog is ugly and slow witted. It's a bit mean spirited, serves no purpose, and makes him feel bad, the man not the dog. The dog is smarter then everybody. He doesn't give a rat's butt what anyone thinks. He just wants to go out and have fun with his best friend.

On another post there has been much talk of unequal performance between cars in some classes. This is true. One of the oldest phrases used in hillclimbing is "We will give you a class to run in but we won't guarantee you will win it".

I enjoy watching the faster cars driven by some very talented people making their runs up the hill. If they get class wins and records I am happy for them. I don't think it is necessary to try to get every class equal in performance to have this happen. I don't think it can be done.

Six drivers running three spec cars such as SRF would be the ultimate test as to who are some of the best drivers. A class win or class record in that group would be something to brag about!

As for me I'm with the dog. I just want to go out and have a good time with my friends.

See you next season

Larry Long
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Re: The dog

Post by Mwilson »

Nicely put Larry. Too bad everyone doesn't feel the way you do. :(
dlascoskie
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 666
Current Racecar: 96 Ford Mustang GT

Post by dlascoskie »

Nah, it's always been about fun with racing for me. After all, we're not getting paid to do this. I do think you can be competitive and have fun at the same time though. And I do think you can keep things relatively equal. But I will never discredit anyone's records or driving ability. Time is time, no disputing it. An amazing, fast run is an amazing, fast run, no matter what class or car you're in. I don't get mad or yell at people at the track. I congratulate them and wish them luck. And it better all be fun, or you shouldn't be doing it.
Dan
dlascoskie@msn.com

2007 ESP Class Champion

jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

I like Dogs! :D
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

Larry, are you having fun? you useally have a smile going. I know Pherada(sp) has fun when the car is working, other wise she is working(thank you!) Hillclimbing for me is all about friends and fun. class records or even a win doesn't matter to me.
smile and drive!
THOR
Phaedra
Novice

Post by Phaedra »

Of course he's having fun! Hillclimbing has been his love since... dirt tracks were used, I believe (I'm not sure I'm making that up..that may be autocrosses, though). I think Dad/Larry was just trying to point out that everyone should remember this is just for fun and in the end we should all be out just having a good time. Friendly competition is one of the best parts of this sport. Few things are more satisfying than getting off the hill and seeing that you shaved just a little bit more off your time and seeing where you rate against other similar cars. When I'm working, it's fun to watch you guys come down off the hill and get the thumbs up from your friends and family waiting at the bottom with the good news... or the grins from your co-drivers who may not have such good news... :lol: Sometimes, though, we can all take ourselves a little too seriously -we've all done it- just remember this is all in fun.

And if anyone thinks my loving father hasn't a competitive bone in his body, I'd like to reference our Solo II days with JW's old Wedge and the one time I beat his time. Next race there was a new, bigger, more powerful engine in the car since I became "so good with the smaller one..." Sure, Dad... :wink:
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH....the Notch and I are the slowest...don't try to rain on my parade Larry!!! Yea, I don't hang around all weekend...and heck yea...ole red is a DOG...but you know what...hanging with the PHA crew is better than mowing grass on the weekends!!

phew...imagine, trying to steal the Notch's "glory".... :wink:
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Larry's green Fvee wasn't that slow, he always managed to beat me by 2 tenths. Too bad he sold that car, it was one of his better cars.

Rich Sweigart
Rich Sweigart
Mel Horn
Novice

Hey! I got the damn lead on "Stupid Accidents"...

Post by Mel Horn »

Well, during my sporadic career I managed to (not in any particular order):

1. Flip one of the slower(but class competitive) cars (ITB Rabbit GTI) at one of the most innocuous corners in PHA(Turn Two at Duryea)...

2. Managed to get a BMW 2002 sideways in a kink in the straight at Red Rock; to add insult to injury it was the spot that the photographer was taking everybody's picture. Got a great shot of my back window....

3. The next year, same hill, same spot; put Don McLaughlin's Renault R8 into the bank for no good reason...

"BUT THAT TRICK NEVER WORKS!"... Rocket J Squirrell

By the way, where was this "1 MPH accident" anyway? And who had the radar gun on it?

And who's this Pherada chick?
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn