PHA SPONSOR COMMITTEE

This forum is set for PHA Sponsorship discussion, ideas, and suggestions.

Moderator: Rich Rock

Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

PHA SPONSOR COMMITTEE

Post by Joe Foering »

FOLLOWING THE PRESENTATION BY JOHN STINSMAN ON ACQUIRING A MAJOR SPONSOR FOR THE SERIES, IT WAS THE CONSENSUS OF THOSE PRESENT THAT A COMMITTEE BE FORMED OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE REGIONS WITHIN PHA- ESPECIALLY THOSE REGIONS WHICH HOLD EVENTS WITHIN THE SERIES- TO FURTHER EXPLORE THE POSSIBILITY OF SEEKING A SERIES SPONSOR. IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT THERE BE REGIONAL REPRESENTATION ON THE COMMITTEE BECAUSE A SERIES SPONSOR WOULD REQUIRE THE AGREEMENT AND COOPERATION OF ALL PARTICIPATING REGIONS TO BE SUCCESSFUL. IT IS REQUESTED THAT ALL REGIONS CHOOSE INDIVIDUALS TO REPRESENT THE REGION AT SUCH TIME AS THE COMMITTEE AGREES TO MEET, AND THAT THESE REG. REPS. CONTACT ME VIA EMAIL-JANDJFOERING37@AOL.COM AND/OR PHONE (610-944-9515) SO THAT WE MAY CONSIDER A TIME AND PLACE TO MEET. JOE FOERING, COMM. CHR.
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

sponsor for PHA

Post by Joe Foering »

Those PHA members who are on the PHA Mailing List recently received a copy of John Stinsmen's proposal relating to sponsorship of the series and what that means to members and member regions...Please read this proposal and respond via this forum. Your input, be it pro or con, is vital in helping the committee present a consensus course of action to the general membership which best reflects the desires and goals of PHA in the future. If you have not rec'd the mailing and are interested in reviewing the propsal, please indicate same and I shall see that a copy is made available to you. Joe Foering, Comm. Chr.
Last edited by Joe Foering on Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

I think John has the right Idea. A sponsor for the all the events would help everyone involved, lower entry fees and such. Who wouldn't like to see the HOOTER'S hillclimb's. :lol:
340lola
Novice

Sponsorship

Post by 340lola »

I agree with FV195. John has a great idea but not sure a bunch of
Hooter’s girls hanging around the starting line would help my concentration. What little I have left.

Tony Preston
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

I myself would prefer the "Fruit of the Loom" men. :wink: However, I would agree that John Stinsman's ideas are definitely worth pursuing.
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI all,

I'm on the committee as NEPA rep and are working to find contacts of companies. If anyone has an "in" for a contact in a company please email me or Joe.

John does have the right idea and that would be the way it would be run. The problem is nobody has ever gotten to first base by securing a sponsor.

That's what we will be working on.
Last edited by Tim Royer on Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Tim Royer
Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

I think John has a great idea. Maybe I could get Budweiser to sponsor an event and we could have the "BUD" Girls present the awards. Seriously a major sponsor would help relieve some of the financial burden and it may draw more people to the event. GREAT IDEA JOHN.
NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Re: PHA SPONSOR COMMITTEE

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

Hi :D I realise I'm bringing back this thread from I believe 2 years+ and since I'm not actually a "racer" yet :oops: and I really have no place to say but here's some ideas from the new guy wether you want em or not :lol: Each of the ideas are all big name companies, but really what the PHA is looking for is a "Big" name sponsor no? That's what I gathered from the previous posts anyway...

Has anyone tried a tire Company? Nitto, BFG, Good Year, Hoosier?? Those places seem to me like the most likely canidates to sponsor a series that runs on the streets like you guys do, there all developing Street Legal slicks or Road Race tires. I would think giving out a set of tires to the winners or something would be in thier best intrest as well. Maybe get some people buying the products to run @ these such events if the person that wins them, likes them... I realise that not everyone runs those types/brands of tires, sure know I'd like a free set of em though! :lol:

Oil company? Castrol, Pennzoil(SP?), Valvoline, Royal Purple, Amsoil. We all need oil to move, maybe they'd like to throw up a banner and give a case of oil to the winners.

Fuel company? Sunoco, VP, ummm I dunno anyone else. But why not have the "Official Fuel Of The PHA" type thing... hell we don't have to run the stuff, but the loot they'll pay for a banner an maybe have some drums of said fuel at a discounted cost for racers that do run it.

How about Best Buy? They could maybe supply some of the electronics needed for timing, announcing, displaying things at events. They sell the portable GPS' there, I know some of you use them to keep track of speed amoung other things while on course. Maybe they'd be interested as well. I don't know how many Best Buy's are around where the races are held, but ya never know!

AAA? What better place to advertise then at an event with tons of people that own cars? There's always a tow truck or two on duty (I'm assuming, since I saw 2 @ Fall Weatherly). AAA would maybe throw some loot in to get thier name on a banner AND send out nice and shiny tow trucks to each event from the local AAA provider. Kids love tow trucks! I know the company I ran, AAA asked us a few times to do some things that not only got out our company name, but there's for the people to see.

Ok thats enough, I'm going to bed. Tell me if I'm intruding where I shouldn't.
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

It's always great to see new enthusiastic blood in the group. Let me get you up to speed.

One of our notable competitors is Skip Lenengood, owner of CJ Tire and a key employee of his, Joe Specht. They have been able to get money from tire manufactures to help sponser the Pagoda and Duryea and give tire contigency money to drivers who run their brand. The tire companies have not be willing to make the big step to series sponsership.

What is really needed is contacts. As John S states, he can't get past first base to talk to any of these companies. The only way to get in is "Know somebody who knows somebody". We are small potatoes. The good news is, our sport is starting to get recognized but it will be a long time till we get major recognition if ever.

So, NJ 03 Mach1 (I don't believe I caught your first name), got any contacts? Would you like to volunteer?

Dave Y
Dave Yeager, EL&M Auto Recycling, S. Jersey
H/P Rabbit GTI, National Club Racing
ITC Scirocco, Regional CR, Time Trials
MKIII Golf, LeMons/Chump car
V1 TR4, Vintage/ Historic
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
500 Late Model Parts Cars
NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

My names Adam :fish

I'm actually working on two contacts I have at the moment :wink: One big name in the Mustang Magazine/Drag racing world, one small, but growing name in the Chevy Magazine world. I didn't want to say anything just yet, as nothing is set in stone. But you asked so I can't lie about it lol...

Trying to get either mag to come to any event and cover a race and maybe then they'll cover a corresponding vehicle. The Chevy guy is my former boss, who now writes for Super Chevy, and freelance writes for Muscle Mustang & Fast Fords. He's already said he wants to check out a race, and if it looks like an interesting write up and there may be a specific Chevy (or Chevy powered car) he can pick, he can do a write up not only on a race, but a feature on that car/driver for the Mag.

When the time comes for my bar install, and maybe some suspension stuff, he's gonna freelance an article or two for MM&FF and Ill be making sure it's noted that the car is being set-up for PHA events. If they pick up any of the articles, it's free press time for PHA basicly.. It may take some time for this to happen, and I'm by no means "promising" anything and it might not get ink even this season or at all. It's a good shot and if he can get more then one article in, just maybe the PHA can use that as some leverage with a big name company, saying "well if you sponsered us, come any ink time we get it will be the SO&SO Penn. Hill Climb or the Duryea race presented by SO&SO" which when it comes down to it, that's what they want, thier name on something that's getting viewed. Not just on a banner at an event with locals & racers being the only ones to see it, it's all about exposure and a magazine such as Super Chevy or MM&FF is HUGE exposure.

I do have an "in" at AAA, while running the towing company I became pretty friendly with the regional manager here. Maybe he can put us in touch with someone out in the area of the races or whoever someone would need to speak to about sponsoring a race, or the season itself, if it's at all possible.

Has anyone contacted Tire Rack? There's another place I thought about today... I don't see why they wouldn't want to advertise. That's a national thing there, people all over can use them..
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords did an article about us a few years ago, 1995 I think. (WOW more than just a few,,time really flies..LOL) It was a good article that had pictures and text with what our sport was about and event coverage from the Pagoda Hillclimb. There was a nice picture of me smoking the rear tires coming out of turn 8. The guy taking the pics for the magazine sent me the negatives of my car entering the corner and passing by him with the tires pouring smoke out. Ya see I already blew the run down at the bottom of the hill and coming through 8 I saw him standing there with the camera so I put on a bit of a show :mrgreen:. It also had profiles of the 5 Mustang drivers at the time. In another MM&FF article a few years later Jerry Hartman had a nice feature written about him with really great pics of his '84 taken at the Fire Tower in Reading.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

bump