Car Classifications and other Questions

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

VR6Man
Novice

Car Classifications and other Questions

Post by VR6Man »

Hello everyone!

I am looking to finally take the steps to get into sanctioned racing, and hill climbs look like a ton of fun and good way to start. I don't have much of an interest in autocross, so I'd rather go this route. I'm from Butler, PA just north of Pittsburgh, so its pretty awesome to have so many hill climbs within reach. I know I need to join the SCCA (I used to be a member a few years ago but never did anything with it), and it looks like I just need to fill out some paperwork and bring that with me on the day of my first event. That stuff I think I have all figured out. Its also pretty straight forward what types of safety equipment I need, so no questions there.

I do have some questions though that I hope you can help me with:

1. I have been reading through the GCR trying to get an idea of what cars fit into what classes and where I would fall into everything. The nice thing is, I don't want to turn any of my current cars into a track car, so I have the advantage of being able to "shop around" for what I would like to run.

I am a VW guy, and have been since I started driving. I've restored/modded a '85 Cabriolet with an engine swap, turbo, new paint, rust repair, etc. However I can't see myself cutting into that car to put in a cage or any of the multitude of things it looks like I will need to enter into SCCA racing. So I have been looking elsewhere. I owned an E36 M3 for a few years and loved it. I sold it on however, and haven't owned a BMW since.

All this to say, in my search for a track car, I came across a '98 BMW 323is for sale that needs a new motor and the car is going for fairly cheap. SBC and LSx motor swaps are common place among the E36 crowd and I thought that would be a great combination for a track car. The Chevy motor has a great aftermarket, as well as the E36 BMW chassis for track parts. My question though is, where would a chassis/motor combination like this land me as far as car classification. The GCR can be a daunting task to someone new to reading it such as myself. I've read through the classes, but not sure where this would fall. I'm assuming it would end up in some sort of "catch-all" class, which I am perfectly fine with. I'm more interested in going out, having fun and burning up some hills, then necessarily being fastest in my class, as I'm sure a "catch-all" class would have some pretty radical cars in it.

I havent bought the car yet, nor the motor, because I want to make sure I will fit somewhere before I make any purchases. So if anyone could give me some guidance that would be a great help.

2. As far as tech inspections go, does anyone do a mock tech inspection during a non race weekend where I could take my completed car and have them look it over to be sure everything will pass?

3. I want to be sure that as long as I have all my paperwork filled out, the correct safety equipment, and a car that passes tech, I don't need anything else. From the way I understand it, no driving schools or instructor time is needed for hill climbs/time trials. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I just want to be sure I've covered everything. It actually sounds like hill climbs help towards getting thing accomplished so that I can race in other events.

I hope to make my way out to an event this year and get myself acquainted with how the events go.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and respond. Any help, guidance, advice and tips would be appreciated!
#33 SBC Swapped '98 BMW 323is
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Re: Car Classifications and other Questions

Post by Rick Kase »

try looking at the street prepared classes, they are listed under solo rules. Add a min of a roll bar. There are several other ways to go also. Go to pahillclimb.org and download an entry form for an event it will list classes.
Yes a tech can look at a car early, we recommend it.
VR6Man
Novice

Post by VR6Man »

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for my continued ignorance. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the massive amount of classes and categories of racing that there are in the SCCA.

So I have done quite a bit more digging after you suggested looking at the solo classes and the E36 BMW with a SBC motor looks like it fits in the XP Class. I didn't think to look at the Solo classes because I assumed Solo cars and Road Racing cars were kind of separate entities or something. Do other road racing categories host Solo classes or is hill climbing unique in that regard?

I also checked out an entry form as you suggested and it looks like Solo V is a class that is run. With my lack of understanding of the way things are classed I have to ask the question, does XP fit in the Solo V class?

I'm not sure if it's me or if the whole classification process is a bit daunting. And while Google is helpful, the information is overwhelming/not specific to my particular application.

In a nutshell, if nothing else, can I run an XP class car in Hill Climb/time trial events?

Again, thank you for your patience. Just trying to do my due diligence.
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

An XP car (it is an autocross class) would end up (usually) in SMX. It is sort of like a Street Modified that allows engine swaps across manufacturers. The class requires a full cage. This is a class that was new for '16 that was added specifically to give the swapped cars a place to run without being in the completely unlimited Special classes.

Funny, I am building a very similar car for next year.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

After a long hiatus from the forum, I would like to make make just one comment.
First, learn to drive a slow car fast. Then you might learn to drive a fast car fast.
Don't try to build the fastest car in the world till you know how to drive the fastest car in the world or win with the slowest for that matter.
Just my view on things.

Dave Yeager
VR6Man
Novice

Post by VR6Man »

Mark Aubele wrote:An XP car (it is an autocross class) would end up (usually) in SMX. It is sort of like a Street Modified that allows engine swaps across manufacturers. The class requires a full cage. This is a class that was new for '16 that was added specifically to give the swapped cars a place to run without being in the completely unlimited Special classes.

Funny, I am building a very similar car for next year.
Thanks for the helpful information. I will look into SMX. I have already planned for a full cage as this will be a dedicated track car. I talked briefly to "The Roll Cage Guy" just to see what his pricing is like. I think I found a reference for him somewhere on this site.

If anyone knows of other good cage builders in the Western PA area, please let me know.

dspgti wrote:After a long hiatus from the forum, I would like to make make just one comment.
First, learn to drive a slow car fast. Then you might learn to drive a fast car fast.
Don't try to build the fastest car in the world till you know how to drive the fastest car in the world or win with the slowest for that matter.
Just my view on things.

Dave Yeager
Thanks for your opinion. The nice thing about a SBC is they don't necessarily have to have a ton of power. Most stock blocks are actually quite underpowered by today's standards. The typical mindset of people is that just because it's a small block Chevy it's some monster. The reason for choosing it is that it is easy to build upon. I'm on a budget but with the intent to grow.

You've obviously missed most of my intent, which is a good handling chassis with a solid motor that has affordability in upgrades. I stated that in my original post and can quote if you like. I don't have cash to throw around and I would like to do this once and do it the best I can with what I have available. I have a good chassis that I can buy for a decent price and a proven motor that can be bought anywhere for next to nothing, with a good track record of being swapped into said chassis. I'm know there are better combinations out there, this just fits the budget and won't require me to continually change cars as I grow. Both chassis and motor have a good aftermarket.

I was hesitant to post in this forum for the very remark you made. I knew that exact comment would come up even as I was writing my original post. Rather than answering my questions and helping someone out who is attempting to join the same sport, you've simply rattled off one of the stereotypical age old "words of wisdom" that we've all heard, "racer" or not. I'm not saying I don't want advice and true words of wisdom but it's safe to say your comment was more belittling than helpful.

This seems like a great group of people and I would like to join in on what looks like a great sport. This is something I've wanted to do for a very long time and am finally in a position to start... Plus my wife gave me the green light.

Sorry for bringing down the mood. Just thought I should clarify some things. If anyone else can be of further help I would greatly appreciate it.
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

On the other hand. Maybe I could sell you an engine? I sell complete drop out Chevy 5.3 and 6.0 with drive by wire harness and ECU's.
I know you said you were on a tight budget but I supplied a friend the Ford 3.5 V6 Twin Turbo Eco Boost. He installed it in his American Iron Mustang and has been setting new track records at NASA road races. Maybe you will hit the lottery! I'll hook you up then!!!

I just wanted to suggest another thought process that would have you build all the safety and handling stuff into the Bimmer, try a few hills and Time Trials and then do the engine swap. You'll be surprised to the extent of cost and time to make a car race ready.

In any case, it's always good to hear from someone enthusiastic about joining our exciting sport. Hope I didn't discourage you in any way. We will all help you achieve your goals.

Dave Y
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

To VR6 MAN.
Many will will tell you that I'm a big pain in the ass and most are glad that I have kept my mouth shut for a long time. So what made me open my big mouth again?
I'm a VW guy. When you mentioned about fixing up your Cabrio, I got interested.
I race a 1984 Rabbit GTI in the H/ Production class. Over the years I have held a few track and course records. I may still own one or two in different classes that may have not been broken yet? Maybe?
Just two weeks ago, a prominent racer from the Philly area came out with his latest creation. An early VW Rabbit convertible with all the latest and greatest rule allowances for small bore cars in HP at the Major's Tour at NJMP. He beat all of us by at least 8 seconds per lap. Set a new course record for HP. Beat all the FP and all of the EP cars except 1. This the highest level in SCCA. Most everyone there is trying to qualify for the runoffs.
I grant you, he set out several years ago and with a big chuck of cash, decades of knowledge and the help of several friends to accomplish that.
What's my point? I don't know? Just wanted to bring up another way to look at what competition is all about.
Maybe I can sum this up by saying, the right balance of HP and handling in the hands of a skilled driver will win in the end!

VW's RULE
VR6Man
Novice

Post by VR6Man »

dspgti, its all good. VWs are awesome.

I understand the logic of balance between power and handling, and I see where you are coming from. I'm not trying to sound like boy racer, I'm just a guy with his head spinning from all the rules and classes and appendices and categories! I'm not out to break records, hold records, win, or even come close to making a good time on the runs right now (maybe someday!). Its something to look towards, but I just want to get some seat time in something I dont mind thrashing about, beating, or possibly wrecking. I do appreciate the alternative thought processes you have suggested.

A little about why I wont run my MK1: I took my '85 Cabby from a pretty rusty piece to something I'm proud to drive. I did a lot of rust repair, including cutting out both rear quarters and welding in new repair panels, doing the body work, and making it look seamless. I did the motor swap (ABA block, 16v head with a Garrett T3/T4 60-1 and standalone ECU) and the painting, and transmission swap (auto to 5-spd), and the partial wire tuck, and suspension, and etc. Point is, I have a lot into the car both monetarily for parts, and blood, sweat, tears (excuse the cliche). And while it handles like its on rails and rips at 17 pounds of boots (pretty low, I know), I cant bring myself to put the thing out onto a track, or onto a hill run with the knowledge that I could trash it in an instant. Besides that, originally I had considered running the car in events, but to get into any class with the motor swap and turbo I think I'd still have to fully cage the thing, and I cant cut up a pristine MK1 dash (I'm talking mint condition). I actually bought a MK1 Jetta Coupe a few years ago with the intent on running it in hill climb events but a wife, babies, and life halted that plan. I sold the Coupe on to someone who is going to bring the thing back to life, and I know him as a friend, so I'm only partially sad about it.

So now that life is calming down I recently started a search for a MK2 Golf or Jetta that I could run in hill climbs and other events but couldnt find a good example that was "cheap" enough, which was a little surprising, but they are getting rare (not as rare as a MK1). I wanted to stick with VW because I know the motors and how they feel/act in the turns, but in my search I came across a '98 E36 323is for real cheap because the motor has some issues. I owned an E36 M3 in the past and loved it, so I figured this might be something worth looking into. And once the bug bit and I started looking into everything it made some sense and got me excited. Now its hard to look elsewhere, but we'll see after I look the car over. I have also considered attempting to fix the motor in the 323is and run the 2.5 straight six for a while, as underwhelming as it may be. I have a MK4 Jetta VR6 Turbo that I daily drive, so I would actually be running a slower car than my DD, not that its the same kind of driving.

Long story getting longer, I'm going to check the car out tomorrow, and as long as the rear upper shock mounts arent rusted out and everything else looks solid I might just buy it. I have options no matter what, so I'm not super worried.

If/once I pick it up, I will decide about the motor and if I choose to make a swap, I'll be doing that before anything else. After that I'm going to look to the rule book for what I am allowed to do and go from there. I could attempt to build the cage myself, as I have experience with both MIG and TIG welding, but frankly I just don't know if I could make the welds to the rule book standards. Someone with experience should be left to that, despite the price tag.

It also sounds like I will need a fire suppression system as I dont think an extinguisher is enough in SMX (correct me if I'm wrong). Does anyone have a suggestion or recommendation on what company to look into?

I will call it here for now. Thanks to everyone who has helped me out. Sorry for the slightly off-topic way of explaining how I got here. I don't have anyone else to turn to for advice, so I'll take what I can get!
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

It also sounds like I will need a fire suppression system as I dont think an extinguisher is enough in SMX (correct me if I'm wrong).
No class requires a fire suppression system for PHA events, including SMX. You can have one if you like, but a fire extinguisher is sufficient. Refer to 9.19 of the PHA supps for details.

The way you should interpret the rules is to start with the PHA Supps, which are here: http://pahillclimb.org/wp-content/uploa ... -March.pdf. They pretty much define the safety requirements, with the GCR or Solo rule book defining the class preparation rules (depending on class). We have a few special classes such as SMX that are only defined in the PHA supps. Also, we don't run all Solo classes, just the ones listed in our supps (SP and SM).

If there is a difference between the PHA Supps and the rule book for the class you are running in, the PHA Supps prevail.

I agree with Mark that your car seems like an excellent fit for SMX and also that it is what the class was intended for. It's been pretty interesting to see the cars that have come out this season that ran in SMX, and I'm hoping we get more next season.

You might consider starting out in SM (see Solo rulebook), and then as you have time, add upgrades until it becomes an SMX car. That might give you a way to get started quicker without needing to back track.

Grace
(who agrees on VWs -- I run a 16V Scirocco in GT3, and have another that's my daily driver)
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

I didn't mean to suggest that you think about converting the Cabrio to race. I just wanted to establish a connection as to where you are coming from.

Just in case things don't work out with the BMW and you want to continue with the VW theme! I have 2, MKII chassis. Pretty much stripped out. One very solid, the other has some rust issues.

I also have a MKI GTI shell with a bolt in Auto Power roll bar, not a cage. Pretty much complete but not much interior, no drive line, title is questionable.

Also have a MKI shell all stripped out with a first class roll cage. Needs everything else but have some racy kind of stuff to go with it. Was going to be a GT5/ Lite car until they changed the rules.

As Grace said, only fire extinguisher is required what ever class you choose.

You have a lot of active members in Western PA. Can't remember their web site but you should hook up with them. You will get a lot of support from the OUTLAW, damn the regulations, run what you brung, don't tell me there is no class for my creation, sympathy.

Not to worry, we will find a class for you. Only question is Roll bar or Roll Cage! That will bring up another heated argument if we are not careful. LOL
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

You have a lot of active members in Western PA. Can't remember their web site but you should hook up with them. You will get a lot of support from the OUTLAW, damn the regulations, run what you brung, don't tell me there is no class for my creation, sympathy.
I just noticed that. Are you on facebook? Look for the Wankerville page, which is a private group. Long story behind the name. They are the PHA / hillclimber group in the Pittsburgh area. and they are a lot of fun! If you're not on facebook, message me, and I'll give you a couple of contacts to start out with.
VR6Man
Novice

Post by VR6Man »

dspgti wrote:I didn't mean to suggest that you think about converting the Cabrio to race. I just wanted to establish a connection as to where you are coming from.

Just in case things don't work out with the BMW and you want to continue with the VW theme! I have 2, MKII chassis. Pretty much stripped out. One very solid, the other has some rust issues.

I also have a MKI GTI shell with a bolt in Auto Power roll bar, not a cage. Pretty much complete but not much interior, no drive line, title is questionable.

Also have a MKI shell all stripped out with a first class roll cage. Needs everything else but have some racy kind of stuff to go with it. Was going to be a GT5/ Lite car until they changed the rules.

As Grace said, only fire extinguisher is required what ever class you choose.

Not to worry, we will find a class for you. Only question is Roll bar or Roll Cage! That will bring up another heated argument if we are not careful. LOL

I ended up buying the E36 for $350. I had to make a decision because the guy was moving to Mass. this weekend. I spoke to Rich Rock yesterday on the phone and he gave me some very good advice and information. He was able to explain some things that I had backward and now I can read where I am supposed to be reading. I really appreciated him taking the time to speak with me.

Because the GCR says that it takes precedence over all other rule books I was trying to fit into a class within their structure. Rich explained that the rule book for PHA is where I should be looking first, and referring to the GCR when needed.

Rich also feels confident that the SMX class is where my car would fit best, so I am going to start combing through that section and getting some of the build planned.
gdh57 wrote:
I just noticed that. Are you on facebook? Look for the Wankerville page, which is a private group. Long story behind the name. They are the PHA / hillclimber group in the Pittsburgh area. and they are a lot of fun! If you're not on facebook, message me, and I'll give you a couple of contacts to start out with.
I have a Facebook account but don't use it. I will have to log in and check out that page. Thanks for the info.
gdh57 wrote:No class requires a fire suppression system for PHA events, including SMX. You can have one if you like, but a fire extinguisher is sufficient. Refer to 9.19 of the PHA supps for details.

The way you should interpret the rules is to start with the PHA Supps, which are here: http://pahillclimb.org/wp-content/uploa ... -March.pdf. They pretty much define the safety requirements, with the GCR or Solo rule book defining the class preparation rules (depending on class). We have a few special classes such as SMX that are only defined in the PHA supps. Also, we don't run all Solo classes, just the ones listed in our supps (SP and SM).

If there is a difference between the PHA Supps and the rule book for the class you are running in, the PHA Supps prevail.

I agree with Mark that your car seems like an excellent fit for SMX and also that it is what the class was intended for. It's been pretty interesting to see the cars that have come out this season that ran in SMX, and I'm hoping we get more next season.

You might consider starting out in SM (see Solo rulebook), and then as you have time, add upgrades until it becomes an SMX car. That might give you a way to get started quicker without needing to back track.

Grace
(who agrees on VWs -- I run a 16V Scirocco in GT3, and have another that's my daily driver)
Thank you for the info. Rich also explained this is greater detail. I appreciate everyone's help. I feel much more at ease about building and preparing the car correctly.

I will keep everyone posted on my progress and I'm sure I will have many more questions.
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

If you wish to be put on the PHA mailing list, email your name and email address to phaevents@comcast.net.
You will receive all of the entry forms in Adobe (.pdf) format plus 2-3 meeting notices and the banquet notice. I DO NOT give out email addresses to anyone.
VR6Man
Novice

Post by VR6Man »

Hey guys I had a few more questions about hill climb weekends.

1. On average, how many runs does one get per day?

2. On average, how many participants are there per weekend? I noticed the event entry forms state a limit of so many people. Do the events usually cap out?

3. Where do you guys stay? Campgrounds? Or is there on site camping at the events? I see RVs and campers parked along the courses in some of the videos you guys post on YouTube.

Thanks everyone. I've been working on prepping my car so that I can come out in 2017.
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

1. Depends on the hill: Weatherly avgerages 12 runs per weekend. (1 mile course)
Pagoda averages 10 runs per weekend. (1.8 mile course)
Giant's averages 10 runs per weekend. (1 mile course)
Polish averages 15 runs per weekend. (107 mile course with a separate return road)
Jefferson long course averages 12 runs per weekend. (1.3 mile course) You get 2 timed runs every time you go on the course.
This weekend at the Shenandoah circuit at Summit point we had 8 timed laps.

2.Average Entries: Weatherly about 80 We never hit the 100 entry limit.
Pagoda 90+ We hit the 100 entry limit once.
Giant's about 85+ We hit the 100 limit once.
Duryea 100 We usually hit the entry limit. This year we raised the entry limit to 110 and had 108 entries.
Jefferson We average between 70-80 entries.

3. All events have on site camping. The only place that has electricity in the camping area is Shenandoah ($10/night) You can stay over Sunday night. (at Summit you usually have to be out by 7-9 AM monday)
Josh R.
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 817
Current Racecar: 1999 Formula Mazda

Post by Josh R. »

VR6Man wrote:Hey guys I had a few more questions about hill climb weekends.

2. On average, how many participants are there per weekend? I noticed the event entry forms state a limit of so many people. Do the events usually cap out?

3. Where do you guys stay? Campgrounds? Or is there on site camping at the events? I see RVs and campers parked along the courses in some of the videos you guys post on YouTube.

Thanks everyone. I've been working on prepping my car so that I can come out in 2017.
I'm just going to elaborate on 3 a little more for you and give you my opinion on the places I have experience with.

Pagoda/Duryea. Okay to camp. There's running water in the bathroom. I bathed with a hose outside the one morning. It was REALLY loud down by the Pagoda at night and the police were dispatched. Reading is pretty rowdy, so sirens are common. It's not super convenient to get to a convience store/gas station/restaurant but it's not bad. There are a few hotel choices within a few miles, but I didn't like the idea of being that far away.

Giants'. No facilities for camping. Many conveniences near by. There are many *cheap* hotel options very close by. For the cost and convenience, I highly recommend hotel.

Polish. No facilities for camping. Very few amenities near by. Closest hotel is about 10 miles, but it is brand new. Also gas and a couple restaurants at that exit. I camped one night, stayed in the new hotel the 2nd. I have a feeling that a lot more people will use that hotel next year. It was rainy (muddy) and very hot, so a shower and dinner at a restaurant on Saturday night was like Heaven.

Shenandoah. Best camping yet. SHOWERS! Bathrooms! Food choices (8am-2pm)! Ice! Stayed 3 nights.
Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos
VR6Man
Novice

Post by VR6Man »

Josh R. wrote:
VR6Man wrote:Hey guys I had a few more questions about hill climb weekends.

I'm just going to elaborate on 3 a little more for you and give you my opinion on the places I have experience with.

Pagoda/Duryea. Okay to camp. There's running water in the bathroom. I bathed with a hose outside the one morning. It was REALLY loud down by the Pagoda at night and the police were dispatched. Reading is pretty rowdy, so sirens are common. It's not super convenient to get to a convience store/gas station/restaurant but it's not bad. There are a few hotel choices within a few miles, but I didn't like the idea of being that far away.

Giants'. No facilities for camping. Many conveniences near by. There are many *cheap* hotel options very close by. For the cost and convenience, I highly recommend hotel.

Polish. No facilities for camping. Very few amenities near by. Closest hotel is about 10 miles, but it is brand new. Also gas and a couple restaurants at that exit. I camped one night, stayed in the new hotel the 2nd. I have a feeling that a lot more people will use that hotel next year. It was rainy (muddy) and very hot, so a shower and dinner at a restaurant on Saturday night was like Heaven.

Shenandoah. Best camping yet. SHOWERS! Bathrooms! Food choices (8am-2pm)! Ice! Stayed 3 nights.
This is great info! Thank you for this. I have a camper, but then I'd need one of my buddies to pull the camper while I pull the car, so I'll probably be in a tent, or a hotel if they are close by.
VR6Man
Novice

Post by VR6Man »

Hey guys, I'm slowly getting my car prepared for the upcoming hillclimb season. I'm making sure that I stay compliant with the SMX class.

On another note though, I have some questions about safety equipment that I thought I should get answered or at least get opinions on.

I am trying to figure out what type racing suit, helmet, gloves, etc. I should buy. I am trying not to break the bank, but I also dont want to get junk or stuff that isnt going to work for me. What is the best way to go about selecting this stuff, especially since I'm buying online (I have no idea where I would go to physically buy most of this stuff at a store). I keep seeing the brand G-Force everywhere and they consistently seem to be cheap (cheap isn't always good). Should I steer clear or are they a reputable company?

I'm guessing gloves are an important safety item that should feel good to the driver since you are using your hands a lot. Suggestions for gloves?

G-Force also sells a FIA approved racing harness that is good for 5 years with the SCCA. Anyone have experience with this? What should I be looking for in a harness?

I've been so focused on getting my car running with the motor swap that I havent taken the time to look at other aspects of the car/personal safety gear.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: What about HANS Devices? I'm looking at them and man they are expensive. I'm assuming they are required. Advice on picking the right one?
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

If you are close to the Reading area, stop at Susquehanna Motorsports. It is located on US 222 north of reading. They are hillclimbers, members if our local SCCA club. They have always given a very good price andknow what is required to race the hills.
They have items in stock that can be tried on for proper fit.