New here with a 94 bmw....looking to race

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

hinrichs
Novice

New here with a 94 bmw....looking to race

Post by hinrichs »

New guy looking into racing either the end of this season or beginning of next.

Car is a 1994 BMW 318is coupe.

Motor/Drivetrain is a 3.2L inline 6 from a 97 M3. Other mods the car has are coilovers, and a catback exhaust. Mainly trying to see what class the car would fall under. Full interior but swapped in a sparco bucket, race wheel, and ordered a kirk racing 4-point roll bar.

Thanks guys.
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Re: New here with a 94 bmw....looking to race

Post by mrevilracing »

hinrichs wrote:New guy looking into racing either the end of this season or beginning of next.

Car is a 1994 BMW 318is coupe.

Motor/Drivetrain is a 3.2L inline 6 from a 97 M3. Other mods the car has are coilovers, and a catback exhaust. Mainly trying to see what class the car would fall under. Full interior but swapped in a sparco bucket, race wheel, and ordered a kirk racing 4-point roll bar.

Thanks guys.
Hello and welcome to the PHA site and hillclimbing in general. I'm the novice instructor you'll be seeing at the hills. You can find me at any event by simply asking for MREVIL or, Steve Lewis.

For classing, you'll either be in BSP or StreetMod. Someone else can chime in here to help out or we can deal with it at the hill.

If you're not an SCCA member, please go to SCCA.com and fill out the membership info. Then, fill out the novice time trial information and complete the self medical form. If you're a little confused, call the SCCA's membership department. They'll have you fixed up and ready to go in no time. You'll also be required to pick a region so pick one close to where you live and might be able to attend meetings.

Novices are required to be at the hill on Friday evenings for registration and tech. If your car doesn't have a log book, you'll need one of those and a way to drill 2 - 3/16" holes in the bar. 1 will be in the main hoop and 1 will be in one of the downtubes. The tech inspector will direct where to drill. These holes are to verify wall thickness of the bar.

There is a manditory novice meeting on Saturday morning, which is normally at the start line. On Sunday, there is a general driver's meeting to attend.

If you have any further questions regarding the event as a novice, please email me @ mdbug6@comcast.net
Answering questions here can be a little complicated so I may even want to talk to you.
We hope to see you at one of our events.

Steve Lewis
TT Driving Instructor
BMR SCCA Asst RE
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
DaveM
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 73
Current Racecar: White Rabbit

Post by DaveM »

Hi,

An engine swap to a different/bigger engine (BMW to BMW) would put the car in Street Modified (SM).

Cheers

Dave M
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Well, at least Street Mod is a fun class.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
hinrichs
Novice

Post by hinrichs »

Thanks guys. I will be at the pagoda event watching and will have to make my way down to the start to try and learn some more.
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

One of the best ways to learn is to corner work.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!