New guy, SCCA club permit

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

SM514
Novice
Current Racecar: 93 Civic

New guy, SCCA club permit

Post by SM514 »

Hello. So completely new to the hill climb idea. One of your regulars has convinced me to join.
I completed a SCCA Road Racing driving school this past October at Watkins and finished a race the following day. So I still only have my permit. One more race and I can apply for a license.
So at this point, where do I stand with a novice permit or license? I need to fill out the medical sheet, but do I need to go with the physical? Or will I be all set?
Sorry to be the new guy, but I couldn't find a post that matched this situation.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Looking forward to racing wit you all.
Nick
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Re: New guy, SCCA club permit

Post by Rick Kase »

Nick
Time trials has is own license requirements. But if you have the SCCA road race license or permit you have to do nothing, it is the next level above and is accepted for time trials. When you come to our events remember to bring your membership and license with you. The physical needed for time trial is not needed as you had to do it for the road race license, you do not need to do it extra for us.
As long as your road race license is current at our event you are ready to go.

Rick Kase
Dave Cutchins
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 94
Current Racecar: Formula B (F-1000)

Post by Dave Cutchins »

You beat me to it Rick

A novice road racing permit is OK as far as your eligibility to compete.

As part of applying for a SCCA road racing completion license, part of your application for a novice permit should have included a completed SCCA medical form dated not more than 6 months prior to your application. After successful completion of your driver's school, you need to have finishes in 3 sanctioned races (one can be a Level 3 time trial).

The medical form submitted for your novice road racing permit is good for both TT and road racing.
Dave Cutchins
FB #94
SM514
Novice
Current Racecar: 93 Civic

Post by SM514 »

Excellent!
Well, I will hopefully meet you all at Giants Despair.
Thank you for the help