Race Suit Class Requirement?

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

jesfromric
Novice
Current Racecar: '97 Mazda Miata extensive modifications.

Race Suit Class Requirement?

Post by jesfromric »

Now that my car is about 90% ready it is time to start assembling my own kit.

What classification does the fire/driving suit need to be for a SCCA event?

I am checking out stuff online but see so many different levels, layers, codes etc...

Any favorite driving shoes that are not crazy expensive?
I LOVE my high-top cross-country trail shoes but they are not "fire-resistant".

I'm good on helmet, gloves, etc...

Thanks
Dave Cutchins
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 94
Current Racecar: Formula B (F-1000)

Re: Race Suit Class Requirement?

Post by Dave Cutchins »

jesfromric wrote:...........What classification does the fire/driving suit need to be for a SCCA event?

I am checking out stuff online but see so many different levels, layers, codes etc...
Most people wear a one piece, two or three layer suit. There is a minimum standard for a two layer suit and you must wear fire retardant underwear to supplement the protection that the suit provides. With a three layer suit, the underwear is optional. The style and price range varies greatly and really is up to the driver. Generally, the more expensive suits are not as heavy and more comfortable especially in the summer heat. I would suggest to try various suits on before buying.
OG Racing is located in Sterling, VA and are extremely helpful http://www.ogracing.com/driver?SID=0hpg ... k0u6&cat=9

Per the GCR "All suits shall bear an SFI 3.2A/1 or higher certification label or FIA 1986 Standard or FIA Standard 8856-2000 homologation label. Underwear of fire resistant material shall be used, but is optional with suits carrying an FIA Standard 1986 Standard or FIA Standard 8856-2000 label or SFI 3-2A/5 or higher (e.g., /10, /15, /20) certification label."

Per the 2014 Time trial rule book:
REQUIRED DRIVER SAFETY EQUIPMENT: Owing to the competitive nature of these events, driver's personal safety gear is required: Driving suits carrying FIA standards (8856‐1986 or 8856‐2000) or SFI 3‐2A/5 or higher (e.g., /10, /15, /20) certification; Suits carrying SFI 3‐2A/1 certification may be worn only with fire resistant underwear; Gloves made of leather and/or accepted fire resistant material containing no holes; Socks made of accepted fire resistant material; Face coverings (balaclavas) of accepted fire resistant material for drivers with beards or mustaches; and Shoes with uppers of leather and/or nonflammable material that at a minimum cover the instep.
Dave Cutchins
FB #94
jesfromric
Novice

Post by jesfromric »

Thanks Dave!

The Nomex underwear is actually quite comfortable, lightweight and not all that bad in hot weather as well.

I used to wear it as a stand alone for HPDEs (where for some reason no one wears full suits anymore).

I think I'll lean towards a two layer and then be able to use the underwear for HPDEs again...
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

In Hillclimbs there is a lot of time between runs. It is nicer to have a two piece suit because at the top of the hill you can just take the jacket off instead of having a bulky top tied around your waist. In the pits unless you plan on removing your suit it is again nice to only have the pants on.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

I'm with Steve on loving the two-piece suits. Thank you Oz for convincing me to buy one! I don't do well in the heat & used to skip the last runs of a hot afternoon. Now with a top I can take off at the top of the hill, I can stay comfortable enough to keep running. Just my $.02. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
jesfromric
Novice

Post by jesfromric »

Sue,

Consider a Cool-Shirt setup?

With the entire costs associated with getting to run a car it is always a shame to miss any time.

They are a little pricy but once you have the gear it should last quite a long time.

Down here in VA on the NC border it gets wicked* hot and the Cool-Shirt does help.

Great suggestion on the 2 piece suits.

Is talk on this board often about taking clothes on and off?

* wicked is a northern New England term not a VA or southern term.
:lol:
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

The problem with a cool shirt is you then never want to get out of the car. Unless you make up a portable cooler/pump/battery setup to roll around behind you.
~Matt Rowe
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Come on Matt - you know how I stay cool: pomegranate martinis!
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
jesfromric
Novice

Post by jesfromric »

Hmmmm...

I do have a spare hand-truck in the garage and the 12V battery for the trailer winch, so all we would need is a 12V fridge and we could combine a rolling portable Cool-Shirt rig and pomegranate martini storage unit...

I am looking forward to meeting you folks.
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Based on your comment I think you'll fit right in
~Matt Rowe