Vehicle classification ruling.

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

turbohawk
Novice

Vehicle classification ruling.

Post by turbohawk »

SCCA originally classed as GTO, now changed to GT-1, as GTO class has been eliminated. This is an older vehicle. Would I qualify for Super Production or be put into GT-1? Engine size is over 2.5L, but under 500 cubic inches.

Thanks for you help on this guys, it's appreciated!

Alan
Rich Rock
Racer

Re: Vehicle classification ruling.

Post by Rich Rock »

It would be helpful to know some specifics about the car. Year make/model, extent of modification, etc. The 2013 GCR is online now. Is the car listed? PHA rules for SPO have the engine size 3000cc and over for normally aspirated
turbohawk
Novice

Post by turbohawk »

:mrgreen: About the best example I can give would be a stock Chevy Monza or Mirage vs. the factory racing version of
the same vehicle. Hope this helps.

1988 GM factory built IMSA/GTO racer. Modifications are extensive for this class, as only the Trans Am cars had more mods.

Vehicle isn't listed, as it was never a production assembly line racer/vehicle, only the body shell was factory, and these had large flared fenders for slicks, quickchange rear, etc.

Folks at SCCA have initially stated it would be SPO or T-1 for club racing and XP for Solo racing, but am waiting on final word from tech director. NASA will put me in Super Touring-1 or Super Unlimited. I'm waiting on other associations for their replies.

Alan
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

Whatever class SCCA puts you in for road race, that's where you would run in Hillclimbs (just save the paper work). If SCCA decides not to class your car, all is not lost. We run 3 Special classes for cars that are not SCCA classified.
CLASS ENGINE DISPLACEMENT
S-1 0 to 1650cc
S-2 1651 to 3500cc
S-3 3501cc to 500 cubic in
turbohawk
Novice

Post by turbohawk »

Thank you Nelson, at least there's a place/class for me to run.

By "paperwork"... will an answer from tech, thru emails be ok, or must it be in writing, on their letterhead?

Thanks again for the input...... Alan
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Alan,

SCCA never had a GTO class that was IMSA and their GTO class allowed many more modifications than SCCA GT1 class. I am thinking that you are more a Super Production O car than anything else. If not then as Nelson wrote we have Special classes.

Rich Sweigart
Rich Sweigart
Nelson
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Nelson »

turbohawk wrote:Thank you Nelson, at least there's a place/class for me to run.

By "paperwork"... will an answer from tech, thru emails be ok, or must it be in writing, on their letterhead?

Thanks again for the input...... Alan
I'm pretty sure that they will send you something official. Road racing tech will probably insist and if someone protests you, you will need it.
We're not quite that fussy. I think the last official protest at a hillclimb was 20 years ago.
turbohawk
Novice

Post by turbohawk »

The vehicle was originally built to run in IMSA/GTO classes. SCCA as stated, never had a GTO class, so they moved these vehicles into GT-1 to compete, when IMSA was no longer around.

I'll wait for SCCA's classification ruling, will post the results, in case another racer falls into this same tar pit :lol:

Alan