Interested in designing/building a car

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

SVTFocus
Novice
Current Racecar: 2003 Ford SVT Focus ZX5

Interested in designing/building a car

Post by SVTFocus »

I've been slowly preping my SVT Ford Focus for SCCA teching and eventual racing with the PHA group (hopfully). But one of my engineering college professors keeps bugging me about building a formula car. Yesterday we finally found a gap in our scheduals to talk alittle bit. He was saying that we should be design/building a car for local groups that race. I brought up a few local SCCA groups (PHA and a local auto-cross group). He was asking about Formula 600 rules since we both decided to use a GSX-R 600 engine. I was explaining that I would like to build a closed cell car much like a Diasio. My question is what set class rules should we be reading so we know we are designing for the correct rules. Again I'm looking to design something similar to a Diasio.

Thank you guys for any info you can provide.
Jim Leininger
Novice
Current Racecar: A transmission

Re: Interested in designing/building a car

Post by Jim Leininger »

Well,

Hillclimb special 1/2/3 is the catchall class, but the max n/a displacement for special1 is 1650cc and goes up for 2&3. For forced induction factor 1.5 so boosted spec1 can be 1100cc.

Of course, you wouldn't be the first racer who ran a smaller motor than class rules allow.

See PHA supps. pg4 here: http://www.bmr-scca.org/portals/21/2012 ... ations.pdf

There's another discussion going on here about F500 that might help.

Whatever you decide welcome and good luck, I'll be glad to wave at you from a corner station!
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

First, formula 600 is a proposed class based off a f500 car. Maybe 6 cars built to these rules.
Second, a Diasio is a track day car that happens to meet the sports racing rules. Very uncompetive compared to a real sports racer.
Third, Joel Lipperini built a formula car using a 600 engine. It was quick but, not fast; his biggest complaint was not enough power.
If I was going to design/build a car using a bike engine, it would be either a DSR or a FB using the best 1000cc that i could get. Plus, it would be a sellable project when you are done with it.
Rich Sweigart
camaroz1985
Novice
Current Racecar: 98 Subaru Impreza RS - SM

Post by camaroz1985 »

Are you looking at a Formula SAE car? I only ask because you mentioned a college professor.

IIRC, the roll cage requirments between FSAE and SCCA/PHA are not compatible (FSAE only requires 1" tubing). Whatever you decide on make sure you read the rules of all possible places you could be racing, and make sure you meet all of them.
Ryan Hetrick
#308 SM