Newbie with a couple questions

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

b18civicEK6
Novice
Current Racecar: 1996 Honda Civic hatchback

Newbie with a couple questions

Post by b18civicEK6 »

I really want to get into hill climbing this summer but, search as I might, I am not sure what I need to do to get my car ready.

I have a 1996 Honda civic hatchback with a b18a1 non-vtec motor swap and 5 speed transmission. I do not have a roll cage/bar and I am not sure which I will need. My harnesses are not certified so I know those will need to be replaced with a certified set. The car is lowered on tokico adjustable dampening shocks and springs, no chassis bracing besides a front strut tower bar (so far). Any help (ex. place to get less expensive racing seats etc.) will be appreciated.

McDallion
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 43

Re: Newbie with a couple questions

Post by McDallion »

As it sits, the car would run in one of the Street Prepared classes. A roll bar would be legal but a cage would be better. The belts need SFI labels. If you don't use a window net, arm restraints are required.They go out of date in five years so make sure they are fresh with the latest date possible. A helmet dated no earlier than 2005 with the SA rating is required. If you already have a 2000 SA helmet, I think you can get one more year out of it but don't buy one. 2010's are on sale now. A fire suit with at least two layers of protection is required along with nomex socks. Shoes and gloves should be at least leather but nomex would be cooler( both meanings).
Hope to see you there,
Don
Richard Elliott
Novice

Post by Richard Elliott »

Rules are on the SCCA web site. Look for "Time Trials Rules". Be safe and have fun.
Better to be a has been, than a never was.
Crocker
Novice

Post by Crocker »

Your gonnna need the personal safty stuff like others have said. Check at places like this http://www.saferacer.com/g-force/?manufacturerid=8 and http://www.racerwholesale.com/. Suite, gloves, socks, head sock, helmet and arm restraints. For the car your gonna need battery termnals covered, 5/6 point seatbelts, fire exstigisher, a DOM rollbar or cage. Figure about 12 to $1500 to prep the car and yourself. Your car looks like a Street Mod Frontwheel drive car "SMF". The rules for this class are autocross rules so down load both Time trial and solo 2 rule books http://www.scca.com/home.aspx. Check the Time trial book for seat mounting and propper seatbelt mounting. Come to some of our meetings and ask our tech inspectors some questions. If possible have you and your car "teched" a few weeks before yor first event. First meeting is Feb 5. Also your gonna have to join SCCA and get a Time trial novice license. Mike
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

Where are you located? There are a few of us around that do tech that can help you out.
b18civicEK6
Novice
Current Racecar: 1996 Honda Civic hatchback

Post by b18civicEK6 »

Sorry for not being online for so long, I have been having issues with my wifi. I am located in Jessup, right outside of Scranton.