Interested in Hill Climbing

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

jjvincent
Novice

Interested in Hill Climbing

Post by jjvincent »

I have been thinking about hill climbing but the only one I have ever been to is the one at Pikes Peak. My wife and I used to camp up by devils playground and then watch the race the next day.

Anyway, I own a team that currently runs in the Continental Tire Challenge. The car I have runs in the ST class and is a BMW 330i. Since this is the last year the car is eligible for the series and that I'm building a 128i to replace it, I'm thinking of having some fun with the 330. Since I live in Bethlehem, there seems to be a few events that are close. I have no idea what this car fits into when it comes to hill climbing. As for the car, it has a full blown cage, safety equipment, fire system, etc...

As for me, I have not raced since 1992. At that time, I ran SCCA regionals and nationals in Showroom Stock. I have tracked my car plenty of times on test days but that's about it. As you can probably tell, I rent out my seats for Grand-Am.

If someone can point me where to start, that would be great. Here's a pic of the car at Trois Rivieres back in August:
jerdeitzel
Novice

Re: Interested in Hill Climbing

Post by jerdeitzel »

Welcome! It looks like you have a very nice car to bring to the hills. Don't worry so much about classing, We have a place for you no matter what. You can read the SCCA TTR for all the time trial rules. And check the GCR for car classification. There is also a link on the home page that is for new folks.

Hope to see you on the hills!
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Love to have you join us. Two classes immediately come to mind. ITE and STO. STO (Super Touring Over 3000cc) would have the advantage that if you ever wanted to run a National again, it would qualify. STO rules are in the GCR but you have to look at one of our entry forms for the ITE rules. That is regional specific. We basically copied the North East Division rules that can be found on the NEDIV web site, under "club racing", "supplimental classes". We have a couple tech guys in the Reading area and I get through the Allentown area every now and then. I'm sure we can help you out.

Dave Y
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Yes. WELCOME! This is the most fun you can have on the street legally.

You'll be licensed as a novice initially because you've never driven the hills. From there, go at your own pace.

For prep work, there are pleanty of in-car videos to watch on youtube so you can see what's up with each hill before you go. You'll love it!
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
jjvincent
Novice

Post by jjvincent »

Thanks guys.