Hey new here with 85 transam

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

berg383
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 8686

Hey new here with 85 transam

Post by berg383 »

Hi my name is gary im looking to set up my 85 transam for hillclimb and i was wondering what kind of saftey and car requirments need to be met for my car to even see the hills?
Thanks, Gary
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Re: Hey new here with 85 transam

Post by mrevilracing »

1st question is, is it a street car? I will assume the answer is 'yes'. From there, you need the following as a minimum:

4pt roll bar. SCCA approved. Autopower makes them as a bolt in or you can have one welded in.
2 layer firesuit, or 1 layer with nomex underwear. I prefer the 2 layer as I believe most do.
Helmet. SA2000 currently and it'll be going to SA2005 at the end of this year. Motorcycle helmets are an absolute NO NO.
Fire extinguisher. METAL attaching brackets only.
5pt harness at a minimum. Cam lock or latch link is up to you. Mounting is extremely important and I would direct you to the Simpson site for proper installation instructions. Also, our tech inspectors will be able to give you acurate info on the installation.

Come to an event and talk to some of us. We'll get you pointed in the right direction. A look at the car will also get you pointed towards the right class to run in. Mods will affect where you run. Either way, the above stuff is a quick start to hillclimbing.

This is a link to the Time Trials Rules. Just scroll on down to the Level 4 Hillclimbs and read that.
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Club%20Fo ... Trials.pdf
It'll make your head spin a bit but at least you'll have an understanding of what's up. Besides, doesn't everyone read this stuff nightly????

Welcome to the site and we'll be looking forward to having you run the series. It really is the coolest thing you can do on the street legally.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
berg383
Novice

Post by berg383 »

Thanks, mrevilracing i knew a little bout the base line requirments but that def. clarified the bassics of hillclimbing. Also i have been going to the races my buddy mike , he drives the number 19 white and gold 86 iroc, but he is the one who got me addicted :mrgreen: and ive been to weatherly, pagoda and i worked turn 4 at giants dispair, you might have seen me, but all i have to say is its amazing!
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Well then....... I'll assume you might go to Street Mod. If that's the case, it'll become a mustang/camaro battle. There will be 3 camaros but only 2 mustangs, for now.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
berg383
Novice

Post by berg383 »

correction bout the 86 iroc, its a 84 z28 shell wit 86 nose, sorry mike :mrgreen:
miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Post by miniacmike »

All right Steve,when you come over to sm the class name should change to psycos set free!
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Hahaha! I may wait until Mark gets a car fully prep'd. Believe me, I am DYIN to come to SM. A 6 car battle, or 7 if Jeremy comes, will be one to watch.

I just saw the results from Giants that were posted on racepa and am not happy being 20th! WTF!!!! I'm not pushing hard enough I guess. That's gotta change........
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
berg383
Novice

Post by berg383 »

can the fire suit be 2 peice?
McDallion
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 43

Post by McDallion »

Yes, a two-piece fire suit is legal.
Don
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

I would SO-O-O recommend a 2-piece. Being able to quickly get the top off at turnaround really helps in the kind of heat we've been having this year. No more doing the Help-Me-Pull-Off-This-Sleeve Dance. I even ordered the bottom loose enough to sit on the floor & tie my Nomes booties. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
FV195
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 195
Current Racecar: 1996 Vector GB2 formula vee, red @195
1992 Brazos formula vee, yellow, #70

Post by FV195 »

Sue, we know you like to take your top off at turnaround, but didn't think you would post it here.
THOR
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Oops, gave Thor another good straight line. Alas, I don't have the body to go really topless. Gravity is not a friend at my age. Now, back on topic & let's get this kid to the start line. Of course, we're losing yet another corner worker. Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
berg383
Novice

Post by berg383 »

ok for the saftey gear im looking to buy g-force gear what sfi and tpp rating do i need for the following, suit, gloves and shoes?
Thanks, Gary
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

10.20. REQUIRED DRIVER SAFETY EQUIPMENT
Driver’s Safety Equipment requirements are specific to the category of Time Trials event.
Drivers must adhere to section 10.20, paragraphs 1. through 8. as written in the TTR in its entirety. The following equipment shall be in good condition and free of defects, holes, cracks, frays, etc.
Driving suits that effectively cover the body from the neck to the ankles and wrists, manufactured of fire resistant material, worn with underwear of a fire resistant material. One piece suits are highly recommended. All suits and underwear shall be made of the following accepted fire resistant materials: Nomex, Kynol, FPT, IWS (wool), Fiber glass, Firewear™, Durette, Fypro, PBI, Kevlar, NASAFIL, or any suit carrying an SFI 3-2A/1 or higher certification patch. Underwear of PROBAN is approved. The following specific manufacturer(s) material combinations are also recognized: Simpson Heat Shield, Leston Super Protex, FPT Linea Sport, Carbon X, and Durette X-400. Underwear is not required with three-layer suits or with suits carrying FIA standards of 8856-1986 or 8856-2000 or SFI 3-2A/5 or higher (e.g., /10, /15, /20) Certification Patch. FIA homologated driving suits and underwear are recommended.
Crash helmets approved by the Snell Foundation with Snell sticker 2000 or later Special Application (SA00), or by the SFI with a SFI Sticker 31.1a for open faced helmets and a SFI sticker 31.2a for closed faced. NOTE: Snell M rating is not allowed for Track Trials (Level 3) and Hillclimb (Level 4) events. The back of each driver’s helmet should be labeled with a minimum of the driver’s name. The use of a head and neck support system is highly recommended. Accident damaged helmets should be sent by the driver or his or her representative to the Snell Memorial Foundation, 3628 Madison Ave., North Highland, CA. 95660 (ph) 916-331-5073 (attn. Edward B. Becker). Details of the accident should be included. Freon based total loss helmet cooling systems are not allowed.
Gloves made of leather and/or accepted fire resistant material containing no holes.
Socks made of accepted fire resistant material.
Face coverings (balaclavas) of accepted fire resistant material for drivers with beards or mustaches. Hair protruding from beneath a driver’s helmet shall be completely covered by fire resistant material. As an alternative to balaclavas, a full helmet skirt of accepted fire resistant material may be used. Double-layer balaclavas are recommended. If balaclavas are used voluntarily, they shall be of accepted fire resistant material.
Goggles or face shields, preferably made of new impact resistant materials, for drivers of open cars.
A driver’s restraint system meeting SCCA standards (See Section 12.) shall be used at all times while on the track.
2010 Time Trials Rules – Level 4 – Hillclimbs
Page 36 of 46
Shoes, with uppers of leather and/or nonflammable material that at a minimum cover the instep. Ventilation pinholes by the manufacturer are allowed.

As was stated in the above posts, get a 2 layer. SFI 3-2A/5 or higher. You won't have to wear the underwear.

Not to de-rail your thought process on safety gear, but you could also call Susquehanna Motorsports in Fleetwood and speak to Wil. He sells the Sparco gear and can point you in the right direction 866-480-2159. He is a fellow hillclimber in the PHA series.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!