Hey eveyone new to hill climbs 1988 RX7 GN 3.8.....

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

yallgotboost
Novice
Current Racecar: Mazda rx7

Hey eveyone new to hill climbs 1988 RX7 GN 3.8.....

Post by yallgotboost »

Hey everyone,

My names Ryan i'm new to this site. I plan to run my RX7 at most the PHA events this summer. I hope to have the car ready for pagoda end of june.

The motor is a GM 3800 with 67mm turbo.

All the fab work on the car was done by me Cage, motor swap, rear install, turbo manifolds, ect... The car it has a ford 8.8 solid rear axle with a 3 link setup. A G-Force t5 dogbax gearset. Custom stand alone hydro ebrake with willwood calipers.

The start of last season had a bit of problem with the hydro ebrake... I finally have that all sorted no more shearing off the mounting bolts.

The car was pretty loose due to panhard bar placement and overall suspension setup.

I’ve messed with the suspension a bit this winter so hopefully this season the car will drive proper…….

Over last winter I added a straight cut Dogbox transmission from G-Force. The trans is amazing but stupid loud.

Right now I'm in the middle of some fab work going back to a v-mount rad/intercooler setup and also reworking the turbo manifold and adding some more bars to the cage.

You see me at an event come up say hi!

reworking the cooling setup and turbo manifolds

Some added bracing and new paint

Painted the engine bay Candy metalic red

I got the engine back in the car.

Did some work on the car this past weekend. I finished up the intercooler/oilcooler mount and the cover plates for the cowl. I also finished the down pipe and cleaned up the passs side floor.

Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Re: Hey eveyone new to hill climbs 1988 RX7 GN 3.8.....

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the hills! You'll find folks are willing to help newbies and try to answer your questions, while putting you and your car in the proper direction regarding legal setup - sometimes whether you like it or not. But at the PHA we are family, sometimes we all agree, sometimes not, but at the end of it all, we are all there for each other.

Good Luck! And have a blast!

PS: Your car looks good and it appears you've put your heart and soul into it.
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

Hi Ryan,

Very nice car, sure glad you won't be in my class! I run the 03 first Gen RX7 in ITS, pretty much a stock car with a cage.
I am sure no where near the power you will put out with that beast!
I look forward to seeing the car and you on the hills!
Welcome to the PHA.
If you have any questions, I will be glad to help if I can. I do help with teching of cars.
Remember that it is your responsibility to class your car properly, not ours.
We will only review the safety items during tech inspection unless someone from your class complains or enters a protest.
Looks like a gorgeous job on the car and I don't think you will have any issues.
Make sure your gear is SA2005 or better now and SFI rated.

Dale
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

WTF is that!!!!! So now I have to go and supercharge cause I'm gonna be jealous! That's just great. If my wife throws me out, you better have a spare room. LOL!

That looks pretty cool. Welcome to the PHA. The best place to drive to the limits of the car LEGALLY.

1st I'll start out by saying that if you don't have a set of Hoosier A6's, call Joe at CJ's in Birdsboro and get a set. You'll need 'em if that thing makes decent power and is light - which it looks as though both conditions are true.

Right away, you'll be in Special if I'm not mistaken. GM motor in a Mazda, I believe, would put you there.

I would check the GCR for cage requirements to be sure you're ok. Since it's still early, go here: http://www.pahillclimb.org/phpBB/viewto ... f=3&t=2241 and contact Kurt for a pre-inspection, if he's still doing them.

We'll see you at Pagoda. Again, welcome to the PHA. I'll second what MaryAnne said.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Mazdahead
Novice

Post by Mazdahead »

Ryan,

While showing my brother your car I noticed something that may be a problem for you. The exhaust is supposed to exit behind the drivers door. I will verify in the GCR to make sure, but you may want to look into this.

Dale
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

^fwiw, the GCR is not the place to look. The GCR is only used for car classing! This car will run in special, so all you need to look at is the TTR. I'm not sure if there is an exhaust requirement in the TTR or not.

Nice car! Can't wait to see it on the hills. What is the hydro e brake for?
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

One more thing. As far as classing, we have no official protest process in place! Also, from what was discussed at the Nov meeting, car classing can be brought up by anyone, Not just someone in your class.
And, should be brought up by anyone that notices anything wrong with anyone's car.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
yallgotboost
Novice

Post by yallgotboost »

Mazdahead wrote:Ryan,

While showing my brother your car I noticed something that may be a problem for you. The exhaust is supposed to exit behind the drivers door. I will verify in the GCR to make sure, but you may want to look into this.

Dale
Hey Dale,

I looked threw the rules before doing the exshaust. It kinda seems like a bit of a gray area

But in TT rules dosnet really say anything

Kind of just seems like needs to point out from the body and be behind the front hubs

hopefully its ok.. or ill prob be missing a lot more events..

My friend Bill has the same style exshaust and has been runing hill climbs for years and SCCA events.

yallgotboost
Novice

Post by yallgotboost »

jerdeitzel wrote:^fwiw, the GCR is not the place to look. The GCR is only used for car classing! This car will run in special, so all you need to look at is the TTR. I'm not sure if there is an exhaust requirement in the TTR or not.

Nice car! Can't wait to see it on the hills. What is the hydro e brake for?

The Car was built to run in ST-1 last year, but I ended up getting super busy and work and not being able to make enough track days. I help run Drift events at Raceway park In Englishtown NJ on the road course. So rather then let the car sit all season when i would get bored at the events I would take the car out mess around and help shake down the new solid rear setup. Near the end of last season got the bug to do hill climbs. So over the winter I added few more bars to the cage and changed the setup on the car.
I no longer really mess around with the car at our drift events but.. The ebrake will still be left in the car. Here are a few video's playing around at Englishtown no real good runs just having some fun. The car just melts the 275 rear tires.. not really more then 1/2 throttle anywhere.

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... llscreen=1

yallgotboost
Novice

Post by yallgotboost »

One question I had for everyone is about log books. My car dose not have a log book yet. Will I be able to get tech at the first event I go to? I'm not 100% sure how that all works. I've never had to deal with log books before. I have SCCA membership and submited all my paper work for novice TT.
Mazdahead
Novice

Post by Mazdahead »

Ryan,

The logbook will not be an issue. You will not receive an annual inspection until you have one, but you will be allowed to run with the weekend inspection completed by one of the guys teching that event. You will need to get with Kurt Eichenberg and purchase your logbook, complete the necessary areas and then request your annual inspection. The big deal is the roll cage, it takes time to have it measured and stamped. Getting to an event early will help you take care of that easily. Once the rush starts, annual inspections are difficult to get done because there are a lot of cars to do.
I will double check the exhaust pipe thing, I know I read that somewhere about it needs to exit behind the drivers compartment or something like that. I don't remember if it was class related, but will re-read the rules and let you know. Hopefully, Kurt will chime in on this?

Dale
Mazdahead
Novice

Post by Mazdahead »

Hi Ryan,

This is the definition for the exhaust from the GCR and Time trial rules, they are the same.

"Exhaust System - Shall be directed away from the body and shall terminate at or behind a point which is equidistant from the front and rear hubs."

I hope this explains the rules for you.

Dale
yallgotboost
Novice

Post by yallgotboost »

I saw that listed in the GCR for pdx 1, but nothing is listed in hill climb section.
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Looks like Street Mod to me!

Dave Y
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

^guess you don't kno the solo rules very well. Only engine swaps within the same mfg.

Ryan, if your car is ST1 legal in NASA you can run ITE if you care. And like I said, the TTR is were you want to look. Your in either, special or ITE, which is not a GCR regulated class.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

dspgti wrote:Looks like Street Mod to me!

Dave Y
Except for the above noted outside manufacturer engine swap, gutted interior, removed side glass, stated moved suspension pickup points, exhaust, assumed inner bumper structure, and utter lack of anything resembling a SM car.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

I forgot to put the smily face indicating a joke. :oops:

Outstanding work on the car. It will be an honor to have you run with us.

It may pass for ITE but Specials is more realistic.

Dave Y
yallgotboost
Novice

Post by yallgotboost »

jerdeitzel wrote:^guess you don't kno the solo rules very well. Only engine swaps within the same mfg.

Ryan, if your car is ST1 legal in NASA you can run ITE if you care. And like I said, the TTR is were you want to look. Your in either, special or ITE, which is not a GCR regulated class.
I dont really care what class I'm put in I just want to run!!
yallgotboost
Novice

Post by yallgotboost »

Got a bunch done on the car here are a few pics cold pipe installed and down pipe. I should be picking up my plug wires from A1 Racing tomorrow be able to zero the ecu and fire it up.

DP all wrapped up ready to melt the world...

jgrausa
Novice

Post by jgrausa »

Is that a pair of brake fluid reservoirs with black caps mounted directly above the Haltech?
Joe