Class and required equipment for 1986 911

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Fprodget
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 67
Current Racecar: 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera

Class and required equipment for 1986 911

Post by Fprodget »

I have decided to end my Formula Ford racing to spend more time with my family. I do still intend to do some competition and will run some hillclimbs and track events and recently bought a 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera. It has a stock engine and transmission but the catalytic converter is removed. The suspension has been modified as follows:

• ER Racing monoballs
• ER Polybronze a-arm bushings
• Front strut brace
• 22/28 new torsion bars
• Revalved (matched) new Bilstein shocks
• Euro ride height
• Bump steer kit
• New Neatrix springplate bushings
• Boxster front calipers, Carrera rears, Carrera rotors
• Power slot rear rotors (new 2009)
• wheels (7 & 8 x 16” Rials) with Toyo RA1 track rubber.

Safety equipment is as follows:

• Autopower SCCA roll bar
• Momo ‘Start’ FIA racing seats
• 2-1/2lb dry chemical fire extinguisher
• G Force 5 point harnesses (new 2009)

What class will I compete in?

What additional safety equipment will the car need?

attached is a picture of the car. I will try a subsequent post with pics of the roll bar, seat and belts.

Thanks for your help,
Attachments
IMG_7741.JPG
IMG_73031256501251[1].jpg
Last edited by Fprodget on Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Holliday
Lancaster PA
86 911 Carrera
Fprodget
Novice

Re: Class and required equipment for 1986 911

Post by Fprodget »

Another picture of the roll bar and seats
Attachments
IMG_7738.JPG
IMG_7742.JPG
IMG_7739.JPG
John Holliday
Lancaster PA
86 911 Carrera
Fprodget
Novice

Post by Fprodget »

Can anyone help with my answers to my questions?
John Holliday
Lancaster PA
86 911 Carrera
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

John,

You might be able to run in Street Prepared, I do not know if the Boxster front brakes would be a legal option, usually you can only update and backdate in model lines listed in the Solo book. Make sure that the car meets all the safety stuff, make sure the MOMO seats meet the FIA standards for SCCA, they should have a FIA plate under the seat stating that it is FIA approved.

Rich
Rich Sweigart
Fprodget
Novice

Post by Fprodget »

Thanks Rich,

I looked thru the web based 2009 solo rulebook and it appears that my car would run in B/Street Prepared. It also appears that you are allowed to use any brake caliper that uses the same mounting points.

If anyone else has more insight for things I need to prepare for, please let me know. i look forward to making some events next season.

Thanks
John Holliday
Lancaster PA
86 911 Carrera
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

You might want to look into the bump steer kit
being legal in street prepared. Also it looks as if your missing the rear seat bottem? If so, that would need to be in. (not that anyone should care but!)

As far as safety, you look good to go in either sp or sm.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
Fprodget
Novice

Post by Fprodget »

Thanks

The bumpsteer kit is simply spacers that raise the rack a bit for when the car is lowered...I just read the street prepared rule about steering racks and it seems the spacers that change rack location are not allowed.......

So i guess i removed the bumpsteer spacers or move on to SSMod.

I have the rear seat parts and can install them if needed...but I will check SSMod to see if they are needed in that class.
John Holliday
Lancaster PA
86 911 Carrera
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

The rear seat can be removed in SSM. I really think your car would be a good fit for BSP, its a shame that sometimes such little stuff throws you into a different class. I'd remove the spacers if i were you. If you need any more help, i'm familiar with most of the Solo rules or i can get the answers pretty quick if you can't find something.

Jeremy
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

You can run those brakes. 15.6 says so.
I agree with the above, put the back seat in and run BSP. Put some monster tires on it too! they can go beyond the fenders and be legal.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Fprodget
Novice

Post by Fprodget »

Correct me if I am reading this wrong:

15.6 paragragraph H. Says: "Brake calipers may be replaced, provided the number of pistons is equal to or greater than the original number of pistons. Caliper mounting brackets may be replaced to accommodate this change, but may serve no other purpose. Alternate caliper brackets must bolt to the original caliper mounting location (s)."

This seems to me that I can use the Boxster Calipers.
John Holliday
Lancaster PA
86 911 Carrera
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Fprodget wrote:Correct me if I am reading this wrong:

15.6 paragragraph H. Says: "Brake calipers may be replaced, provided the number of pistons is equal to or greater than the original number of pistons. Caliper mounting brackets may be replaced to accommodate this change, but may serve no other purpose. Alternate caliper brackets must bolt to the original caliper mounting location (s)."

This seems to me that I can use the Boxster Calipers.
Just to be sure, which I certainly am, I would send an email to SCCA Solo tech and ask. Then, put it in with the paperwork you bring to each race in case someone thinks that's a no no. You can produce the paperwork and the issue is resolved. :D
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Fprodget
Novice

Post by Fprodget »

Mrevilracing,

For some stupid reason, I read your first post wrong and thought you said I would not be able to use the Boxster brakes. That is why I quoted the rule book....I guess I need to go back to reading class with my 7th grade son and work on comprehension skills.

Thanks for your help input!!

Now I just need to consider the value of the $13 bumpsteer spacers affect on the handling verses going to Super Street Mod. it seems to be a bit of a flaw in the Street Prepared Rules that you can modify so much of the suspension items, but cannot space the rack 3/8" to accommodate bump steer characteristics.
Last edited by Fprodget on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Holliday
Lancaster PA
86 911 Carrera
Mr2
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 911
Current Racecar: YELLOW-1991 TURBO MR2
and
WHITE-1993 TURBO MR2

Post by Mr2 »

Keep it simple, and run SSM. "Run what ya' brung".
Fabio D'Hillho Vlacci
#911 MR2 TURBO
http://www.HILLHO.com
http://www.eFABIO.com
mrevilracing
Novice

Post by mrevilracing »

Fprodget wrote:Mrevilracing,

For some stupid reason, I read your first post wrong and thought you said I would not be able to use the Boxster brakes. That is why I quoted the rule book....I guess I need to go back to reading class with my 7th grade son and work on comprehension skills.

Thanks for your help input!!

Now I just need to consider the value of the $13 bumpsteer spacers affect on the handling verses going to Super Street Mod. it seems to be a bit of a flaw in the Street Prepared Rules that you can modify so much of the suspension items, but cannot space the rack 3/8" to accommodate bump steer characteristics.
If it was me, I'd email SCCA Solo tech. As I read the rules pertaining to the steering rack, This does NOT allow shimming or otherwise relocating the steering rack.. So maybe you can do something else without moving the rack to improve the handling/bumpsteer. Maybe there's even a forum somewhere pertaining to that style 911 and someone may have a resolution. Even try searching here: http://forums.corner-carvers.com/index. ... d812f6a84b Those guys seem to have knowledge with every car imaginable. But a word of warning, use the search feature first. Some sites don't like guys coming in and simply asking questions when it could be a topic that has been beaten to death.

I completely agree with you about the Solo rules being jacked up. You can all but rebuild the entire suspension in the SP rules yet, they get awfully picky about some specifics....like the shim thing. But don't get discouraged, my front suspension is all F'd up and I can turn decent times. In that Porsche, you should do really well. Add some A6's and you'll be flyin.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
Fprodget
Novice

Post by Fprodget »

I have sourced a kit that allows the bumpsteer adjustment to me made at the outer ends of the tierod attachments to the spindles....that will get me around the relocating the rack technicality for street prepared.

I have a few more questions as we sit around this winter and contemplate the next season:

1. I understand that with the current rules, my car will not need a cage as long as it runs in Street Prepared or Street Modified. Is that correct?

2. Without a cage, I believe that I will not be able to use a legally mounted window net?…..will I need to use arm restraints?

3. Do I need to remove the glass lights or can they simply be taped over?

4. For the car number and class graphics, can they be magnetic applied or must they be adhered to the bodywork?

I learned that Joe Foering is recuperating from what seems to be pretty serious surgery. Is there another tech inspector type person that could look over my car ahead of the first event to see that there will be no surprises that would keep me from running?

Thanks again
John Holliday
Lancaster PA
86 911 Carrera
Rich Sweigart
Novice
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

John,

1. Rollbar is still good for SP or SM.
2. Window net is ok, as long as it is attached to the car and not the door. Arm restraints are only needed for an open car(no roof) or a car without a window net.3. All lights must be taped.
4. Car number and class can be magnetic but, must meet the GCR as far as size. Numbers should be easy to read for timing and corner workers.

Rich
Rich Sweigart
Fprodget
Novice

Post by Fprodget »

So \....if I modify my car with changes that exceeds the SSM class, I guess I would go to B/P. Does that move require me to add a full cage to the my roll bar?
John Holliday
Lancaster PA
86 911 Carrera
Rich Sweigart
Novice
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

John,

First, we only have Solo classes for Street Prepared, Street Mod, Solo Vee, we also have PHA classes for Special and Vintage/Historic, the rest are GCR classes in the SCCA GCR.
With what you have I would not go past SSM, you will either fall into GCR GT2 or Specials 2(1650cc-3500cc) or 3(3501cc-8000cc). GT2 is an all out tube frame class and Specials is run what you brung.
Specials require a cage, a closed GT car does not but, I HIGHLY recommend that you cage the car for GT2 and rules may change.

Rich

PS It might have been cheaper to fix the Lola that spread across the globe than go past SSM or SP. Just kidding! My Reynard is still half in boxes.
Rich Sweigart
Fprodget
Novice

Post by Fprodget »

Thanks Rich,

I am dating myself a bit...when I mentioned B/P, I was thinking B Production, but a quick visit back to the SCCA GCR, I see that B/Production is no more. I will likely stay in SSM, but I was considering changing my bumpers to so vintage RS style fiberglass pieces and I don't think Street Prepared and Super Street Mod allows that.

I do not really care where I finish these days, 1st or 51st is no big deal, I simply want to fiddle with the car and drive it. So if I get my butt kicked by a fully prepared GT-2 car....no big deal. I just want to understand when I venture into the full cage requirement....which I might be doing anyway, but maybe not this year. I don't want to end up in that other rule thread that was going on here a few weeks ago.

Thanks again for all help with understanding the rules which are many times pretty vague.
John Holliday
Lancaster PA
86 911 Carrera
Rich Sweigart
Novice
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

John,

Yeah, B Production has not been around since the very early 80's when A, B Production and A Sedan merged into GT1(requires a cage).

As far as changing bumpers, if the 86 is listed on the same spec line with the 73 version you can update or backdate bumpers in Street Prepared as a complete unit.
SSM is pretty much free as long as it looks like the part can be dzus fastened on.

Rich
Rich Sweigart