Class and required equipment for 1986 911

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Re: Class and required equipment for 1986 911

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

Quick point.. I can't tell but, what is the rear kicker bar of the roll bar mounted to? It appears to be bolted over whatever panel that is?

JoeF while teaching me Tech always told me you need to see what it's bolted too, so if it were me tech'n this vehicle, (going off this picture nothing more) it would surely be noted in your book as a needed correction, and someone higher then me tech skill wise would need to approve it to run a hill. Myself, I wouldn't pass it but that's not saying someone else won't veto my thoughts on it (once again, going off this picture it appears to be bolted to a body panel and not anything of strength)

Also, make sure it has backing plates (opposite side of where it's bolted too) if it is not tied to the frame, as that IS a rule I am sure of..

Taken from appendix C; Roll bar standards

E. MOUNTING PLATES
1. Roll bars and braces must be attached to the frame of the car
wherever possible. Mounting plates may be used for this
purpose where desired.
2. In the case of cars with unitized or frameless construction,
mounting plates may be used to secure the roll bar structure
to the floor of the car. The important consideration is that the
load be distributed over as large an area as possible. A
backup plate of equal size and thickness must be used on the
opposite side of the panel with the plates through-bolted
together.

And also from Appendix C; Roll bar standards
I. ROLL BAR PADDING
Braces and portions of the main hoop subject to contact by
the driver’s or passenger’s helmet, as seated normally and restrained
by seatbelt and harness, must be padded with a nonresilient
material such as Ethafoam (R) or Ensolite (R) or other
similar material with a minimum thickness of one-half inch.

Just throwing this out there, as I've not seen anyone else mention it..
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
Fprodget
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 67
Current Racecar: 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera

Post by Fprodget »

Thanks for the observations. My rollbar is an Autopower Roll bar constructed to SCCA specifications appropriate for the weight of my car. The 911 is a unibody car and the rollbar does mount to the floor and the rearward braces mount to the inner arches of the wheel wells. At both locations there are plates on both sides of the car's sheetmetal. It is attached with graded bolts.

When the tech inspection situation is sorted out, I would like to either bring my car out to someone in the club or have them over to my garage with a beer or two to take a look.
John Holliday
Lancaster PA
86 911 Carrera
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

John

I have been following this series of posts and I am still not sure you have decided on which class to run. These posts have bounced around somewhat.

The question of the mounting of the roll bar/cage can only be addressed by personel inspection no tech can approve it with photos.

I live in the Fleetwood area and have a TT Tech license. Give me a pm or call me and we can get together for a pre season check of the car.

Rick Kase