Running a 1990 Miata

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

unsaf@nespd
Novice
Current Racecar: 1990 Mazda Miata w/performance suspension, intake, exhaust, brakes.

Running a 1990 Miata

Post by unsaf@nespd »

Hi

John S here from Richmond VA

I am very interested in coming up and participating in a few hill-climb events this year.

I have looked over the SCCA information and some of the postings here and I will certainly do more of that, however…

Since I live in Richmond and will need to tow or trailer my car to the events I do not want to risk the expense of travel, towing, lodging, entry, and preparation only to be denied access because of some technical issue.

At the moment I have:

A 1990 Mazda Miata w/hard-top available.

Modifications include:
Momo steering wheel, K&N bolt-on intake, Racing Beat exhaust/muffler, Brembo slotted rotors, Green-Stuff brake pads, Racing Beat springs, & Tokico dampers.

The car is stock in all other ways and it is in excellent mechanical condition with 80K miles on it.

Is there a class that I can run in with this car in its current configuration?

Is there a local SCCA official that I could contact for a “pre-inspection” so I know I have what I need in place before driving to PA?

Thanks
John
jerdeitzel
Novice

Re: Running a 1990 Miata

Post by jerdeitzel »

Welcome, I would go to the home page and look for the new driver info. You will at least need the the Street prepared safety stuff. If you have any specific questions after looking thru the rules, just let us kno and we'll lend a hand. Your car will fit no problem in a class for the hills. I'll say C Street prepared is your best bet, This will require the least stuff as far as safety is concerned.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

Miatas run in so many different classes that I will not guess where you should be. It is the driver's responsibility to select their class. BUT, for safety equipment, I have a recommedation: If your car complies with an SCCA road racing class, contact your region and find out who is doing annual tech inspections in your area. An SCCA annual road racing inspection, by a licensed inspector, will be entered in your logbook and life will be much easier at all events. Also, it will give you early notice if something has to be done to make the safety equipment compliant with the rules. If your car does not have a logbook, get one from the inspector.
Bottom line: get it ready and get up here, we have a great time at our events. Looking forward to meeting you.
John Pitman FV95
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Post by Joe Foering »

John's idea of having a road race tech insp check your car is valid, but we will check your car again and issue you a TIME TRIALS logbook for our events. As per our PMs, I look forward to talking to you..
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Hi John,
PHA is working on a plan to assign a tech advisor to help new people. So far you have gotten good advise. Jeremy is familiar with Street Prepared rules and has correctly identified CSP as an appropriate class since you have changed the intake. That rules out the Spec Miata classes. It would be good for you to talk to an advisor before making purchases unless you know for sure the items are meeting SCCA rules. For example, does the roll bar have the latest SCCA approval verification. Most name brands companies like Hard Dog, I/O Port and Autopower comply. Just be carefull if you look for used stuff. The hard top is not required but if you do use it, I'd suggest the upgraded mounts.

Keep in touch, don't hesitate to ask for help or advise.

Dave Y