roll cage questions

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

jerdeitzel
Novice

Re: roll cage questions

Post by jerdeitzel »

iownthemountains13 wrote:so i believe i got everything the 4 point roll bar will work in my 240sx with a sr20det swap i'll definitely be in the the street mod correct? just gotta be sure before i jump in and start my build has anyone clarified the 1 piece seat rule yet? and any idea when the new 2009 rules are coming out

Your engine swap is fine for SM, You might wanna read the solo rules for SM. http://www.scca.com/documents/Solo%20Ru ... ules_2.pdf
Pretty much tho if your car can be driving on the street then your most likely fine for SM. If you would like you could PM me with your mod list and i'll go over it to see if there is a problem. As for the seat, you will have to wait till the 2009 rules are out to see if it has stayed the same. As of right now you don't need a 1 piece seat. (alltho a really good idea. Look on Ebay, you can find some decent used seats for cheap).

Dave, Im all for all IT cars having a cage. In fact i thought it was required myself.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

iownthemountains13 wrote:any idea when the new 2009 rules are coming out
The rules should be out shortly, but I can tell you there are no changes to car preparation requirements included.
~Matt Rowe
iownthemountains13
Novice
Current Racecar: 1991 240sx w/ sr20det swap

Post by iownthemountains13 »

sounds great im gonna start ordering stuff i will defiantly see everyone on the mountains this year weatherly and giants dispair are right by me so ill be there and possibly duryea and rose valley if i can get a trailer.
iownthemountains13
Novice

so i settled for this cage http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/m ... Code=AP670 i wanna get the removable cross brace is that legal to have for the hill climb?
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

I'd get a ruling on the removable cross brace if I were you. SCCA has specs on how the attach and I can't see much in the picture. Can any tech guys give him a ruling?

Dave Y
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Post by Joe Foering »

When you look at the detail illustration on the opt. diag. bar, it appears to be acceptable.
iownthemountains13
Novice

hopefully it gets by its my daily and id like to take the bars out anyone run the removable cross brace bars?
whats the record SM time at weatherly and giants?
dspgti
Novice
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

When you open the PHA web page you will see the tabs on the left side. Click on Schedule/ Results. They are all listed there. GOOD LUCK.

Dave Y
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

Jer has the weatherly record in the 55's, and I still have the record at Giants' at 45.3.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Slow down, Mtns 13.

Daily driver does not equal class records. Same goes for novice and class records. Words like that end up on the bad end of a wrecker.
Hillclimbing is vastly different from an autocross or a race track. Best advice is start slow and work up to speed. A very old hillclimber that I knew very, very closely told me that it takes 5 years to learn a hill to the point that you can drive it without thinking.
Rich
Rich Sweigart
FV95
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 95
Current Racecar: Vector FV, BMW R100R, 914-2.0

Post by FV95 »

Rich is right on!
Some additional thoughts: If you LOVE your car, don't think records. If you depend on your car to get to work, don't think records. If you are a novice, don't think records. To put in autocross terms...think of those instances where you slid way off line and took out a few cones...now think of those cones as trees. A novice should have the following goals:
1. Make it to the top of the course every time so you can learn the course...every bump, off camber section, change of paving material....everything.
2. Try to go a little faster each time. In your first year you are competing against yourself, seeking improvement.
3. Take the car home as you brought it. I saw too many totalled cars in the past couple of years.
4. The most important goal: HAVE FUN.
iownthemountains13
Novice

i was just curious im not gonna try to break any records alot of people are under estimating me and ive yet to hit a cone in autocross :D
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

Anything can happen at a hillclimb. Like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZfEGvJbDW8
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

Here's the deal. Hillclimbing is NO joke. Come try it out. There are a bunch of crazies on the hill(young and old) that'll be glad you came. Come look us up. Then, have fun.

Before you come though, watch in-car video of the course you want to drive. Watch it over and over and over and over and over and over. 100 times minimum - no exageration there. You'll get to learn what it LOOKS like. Then, drive it. Take it easy. You'll get the feel of it. NOBODY goes to beat a record on the 1st or 2nd run. It just won't be done because everyone is coming back to the course and getting familiar with it.

My video camera is a mini-dvd. I have a portable dvd player that I in-car on Saturday and that night, I watch it over and over. Maybe 30 times that night. I re-live every gear shift, every turn of the wheel, every brake. I get a mental image of the course and where I should/should not be. I usually ask some folks to watch it once and critique. That is where you could get some really nice feedback.

I have a 6pt cage in my car. I remove the door bars occasionally. My preference is to leave them in because I am used to it but sometimes it's necessary to have them out. It is a DD.

SM is a VERY fast class. Some drivers in it are.....questionable......in their mental state. But they are very experienced and they know their cars very well. Set your sights on learning this year and going to kick their butts next year.

Lastly, think of what you need to do IF you wreck. Remember, your auto insurance WON'T pay if you're racing. So you're S.O.L. if you crash. Take your time, you're gonna love it!
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!
dspgti
Novice

Post by dspgti »

VERY.. WELL... SAID, STEVE.

Dave Y
iownthemountains13
Novice

yeah im gonna take it easy ive been watching alot of different lines on youtube i actually messed around with giants dispair for a good 4 years my first car was a z31 300zx i use to run that mountain non stop i got it down pretty good i always came up to watch everyone run for the last few years (the gen 3 rx7 is insane) always saying "ok this year im gonna run it" and been pushing it off cause i couldnt find any info on it so this is the year finally.... kinda hoping my friend with the 5.0 rx7 was gonna be in my class we've been wanting to do this for years
NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

iownthemountains13 wrote:hopefully it gets by its my daily and id like to take the bars out anyone run the removable cross brace bars?
whats the record SM time at weatherly and giants?

Just coming out of my "rookie" season myself, I will say this.... PLEASE don't think your coming to the hills, setting records. Even this coming year, I'm hoping to just be competitive with MrE and maybe the following year I'll be concerned with that record stuff...

You also mention you've never hit a cone.. on the hills, there are NO cones except the start and finish line so don't worry about breaking that record... just trees, barriers, mountain side, rocks, sign posts etc... they don't just fold over like cones either.

Not trying to discourage you, just don't want you thinking your faster then you should be going your first time out...

Other then that, come out have fun.
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
jerdeitzel
Novice

Post by jerdeitzel »

iownthemountains13 wrote:yeah im gonna take it easy ive been watching alot of different lines on youtube i actually messed around with giants dispair for a good 4 years my first car was a z31 300zx i use to run that mountain non stop i got it down pretty good i always came up to watch everyone run for the last few years (the gen 3 rx7 is insane) always saying "ok this year im gonna run it" and been pushing it off cause i couldnt find any info on it so this is the year finally.... kinda hoping my friend with the 5.0 rx7 was gonna be in my class we've been wanting to do this for years
It dosn't matter what class your in, your still racing to be fastest to the top. Also, It will be fun to have some more Sm car's this year, last year it seemed like we lost a few.
#88 SM
Mitsubishi evo 8
camaroz1985
Novice
Current Racecar: 98 Subaru Impreza RS - SM

Post by camaroz1985 »

Can you use a 5 pt. with the stock seat without cutting a hole. This is how my car is setup.

The logbook indicates the last time it was run is 2004 so I wasn't sure if something changed since then.
Ryan Hetrick
#308 SM
mrevilracing
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 341
Current Racecar: 2019 Mustang GT

Post by mrevilracing »

That is up to the tech inspectors. I AM NOT ONE OF THEM. However, I have a stock seat. The harness must be restricted from going side to side for the shoulder harnesses. My anti-sub belt is VERY tight when I get in to race.
RIP Joe, my friend.

Must go faster!!!!