Event winners?

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Event winners?

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

I've tried to find an answer, but I can't so here's my ?.

How are individual event winners decided? Is it the fastest time that wins an event? Or is it the average of all your runs combined that decides the winner?

Not that it matters, but people keep asking me is there a "prize" for the winner? Trophy? Contingency? Is there a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place etc etc...

Friends keep asking me a lot about the series. Some answers I know, the above ones I do not.

Thanks guys/gals!
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Re: Event winners?

Post by Matt Rowe »

Winners are decided by the fastest run of the weekend. Meaning you can be slower than someone all weekend but if you beat them by even .001 seconds on the last run you get to take home the trophy. Also, we award trophies for class wins as well as an overall win, also called FTD. Really it should be FTW (fastest time of the weekend) but FTD (fastest time of the day) is used elsewhere and it just stuck.

Trophies are typically awarded based on the number of people in the class. It varies depending on the event and the turnout but 1st place in class will get you a trophy no matter what. For a 2nd you usually need 3 people in class, For a 3rd you need 5. keep in mind those are just general guidelines, each event may vary a little.

And no, typically no money although the rare contingency does pop up from time to time. But you wouldn't want to lose your amateur racer status. :D
~Matt Rowe
NJ 03Mach1
Novice

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

Thanks! Now I have the answers I need..
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
svann
Novice
Current Racecar: 1970 Caldwell D9 FF1600

Post by svann »

Rather than "FTD" or "FTW". How about "King of the Mountain". That has a certain ring to it.
Stan Vann
NJ 03Mach1
Novice

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

svann wrote:How about "King of the Mountain". That has a certain ring to it.

King of the Hill...

Used to play that when we were kids..lol. One kid on the top, the rest try and knock em off...
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

FTD or Fastest Time of Day goes back to when we had Saturday cars(slow cars) and Sunday cars(fast cars), also we had a FTD championship; in which, the 10 fastest drivers scored points towards the FTD championship.

Rich
Rich Sweigart
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member
Current Racecar: 1965 VW Notchback
1972 Subaru GL "The Superoo"
1987 Viper SR-1 "A" Sports Racer

Post by Ron Mann »

Let's build on Rich's post....

an example of a weekend circa 1977::

Saturday: Touring cars and small bore production cars T1, T2, T3, T4 SSC, DS, CS, BS, FV, HP, GP, FP

Sunday: EP1, EP2, DP, CP, BP, AP, AS, M1, M2, M3, F1, F2

An FTD winner was typcially recognized for Saturday...and Sunday, more often than not, the fastest car of the weekend was determined. It is a little mis-leading.

Trivia Time.......

I can think of three occasions where a Saturday car(in the split senario) took overall Fastest Car for a weekend (FTD??)....(again, I don't have a complete set of results yet...hint, hint)

Can you name the drivers, cars...event!?
Ron Mann PHA Historian & Archivist... Know Your Roots!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pag ... 0635511799
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

John Flannery at Duryea in the 70's.

Rich
Rich Sweigart
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

If I remember correctly, Alan Dukes in a BMW 2002 at Giants. Great car, crazy driver - he wrecked once early on Saturday, ran home to Dallas, fixed it & got back to make the last run & win his class. Don't ask me the year, my brain is shot. Of course, I remember Alan because he was SO-o-o CUTE!!! Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

Rich got one for sure...John Flannery was overall FTD at Duryea 1974 with the big Volvo...his time: 2:14.562 I believe the event was hampered by some poor weather/track conditions. The record going into the 1974 event was Craig Smith and his Cooper-Chevy with a 2:03.185 set in 1972. Kerry Hitt took the record in 1975 with a 2:00.900.

Sue's guess of Alan Dukes is certainly a good one. Alan secured MANY Saturday FTD's (along with at least 19 class wins) I can not confirm or refute the fact that he may have had an overall FTD win. I'm missing Giant's FTD data for 1978, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993...heck some of those year's, there might not have been an event?!?!

I can think of two more (confirmed) occasions where a Saturday drive went on to win overall FTD.

Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

Ok...here is another one...well, kinda!

John Flannery and the PV544 also took overall FTD at the 1972 Camp Shand Hill Climb. I have not visited this site yet...but heard the road was kinda rough!? This may, again, be weather related...not sure. Oz Sr. & John Stinsmen were also class winners at this event...maybe they can provide some insight on the weekend!?

Mel Horn
Novice

Post by Mel Horn »

Ron Mann wrote:Ok...here is another one...well, kinda!

John Flannery and the PV544 also took overall FTD at the 1972 Camp Shand Hill Climb. I have not visited this site yet...but heard the road was kinda rough!? This may, again, be weather related...not sure. Oz Sr. & John Stinsmen were also class winners at this event...maybe they can provide some insight on the weekend!?
WARNING: TOM HARTMAN CONTENT!

Yes.

And yes.

It was rainy on Saturday, remembering only because one driver lost his class by the proverbial hair and complained that the guy who beat him did so due to a dry run. To which Tom Hartman replied,"Oh, (blank) ran in Florida?"

There was also the incident where Stan Fisher crashed and the announcment went over the PA: "PHA President to Turn Three!" Tom was in the portapotty, and ran out only to have his rain pants fall down around his ankles and he did a face plant in a puddle...The tow truck driver tried to pull the fender away from the tire but pulled the entire fender off to the great amusement of all present.

The road was narrow and rough. I was up there about 5 or so yrs ago and most of the lower part of the course had since reverted to grass! How narrow was it? I think John and Jane's Lola Formula 5000 car was nearly as wide as the road!
"What happens in Weatherly, STAYS in Weatherly!"-Chuck Norris
Mel Horn
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

classic stuff!! :lol:

The property that Camp Shand was run on...is now some big church owned retreat. Camp Shand was near Carlisle.

Mwilson
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 116
Current Racecar: Beach Mark 5 (Special 2)

Post by Mwilson »

Mel,
Seeing Tom Hartmans pants fall down around his ankles after he left the giffy john is not a site I care to witness. :cry:
Ron Mann
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Ron Mann »

The third Saturday driver that I can confirm with an overall FTD is:

Jake Krone in his Mazda RX2 at the 1976 Goldmine Hill Climb...we talked about Jake before, this car was deystored in a pretty nasty wreck at Duryea. From all accounts that I heard this Mazda was pretty darn quick!!

Thread Hi-jacker...sorry!
Attachments
krone.JPG