miata class and rules

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

proctorsilex
Novice

miata class and rules

Post by proctorsilex »

I am planning to do a couple of hill climbs this year and definitely the Jefferson Circuit time trials, however, as is common, I am uncertain under which class my car falls and what rules apply.

Car: 2002 Miata with Hard Dog roll bar (SCCA approved)

I do not plan on heavily modifying it, at least for a while, but I am considering replacing the dampers and, possibly, the springs for the 2009 season. I have no issue sticking with stock dampers and springs, but I need to know what my limits are (I think that Improved Touring allows coilovers and lower springs). I am also looking out for another set of rims, preferrably wider than my current 6.5" sets.

1) I was told that the roll bar is okay within the PA Hill Climb events.
Is that true?
Is that limited to a particular class or the break out time (I recall something about that)?
I recall something about the hill climb rules being a hodge podge of the SCCA Club Racing rules combined with others.

2) Would I better fit into Improved Touring (ITS), Showroom Stock (SSB), or something else?
SS limits my rim width to 6.5".
IT to 7".
I will probably be moving from CS to STS2 for autocrossing eventually. I need to check the max there too.

3) Do SS and IT have the same safety requirements?
It seems that way in the GCR.

4) Would I have to remove my soft top? GCR 338 9.1.3 8 f
This would prevent my participation. I have no plans to remove the top. My car is for fun in general, not strictly racing.

5) I see rules regarding disabling the air bags (GCR 485) and the steering lock (GCR 340 9.1.3 10).
Do these apply?
Any advice?

6) In both the IT and SS sections there are rules about replacing ONLY the driver's seat with a fixed back seat (forgot section and page).
The wording can imply that the passenger's seat must remain stock or that driver's seat is the only one that the rule must apply to.
Is the latter the case?
I want to replace both seats if I replace one.

Thanks
Joe Foering
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 37
Current Racecar: '85 Dodge Charger 2+2

Re: miata class and rules

Post by Joe Foering »

I would suggest that you go to the SCCA website and look under CLUB RACING for the TIME TRIALS RULES (only the 2007 rules are available at this time), and also look under the SOLO rules to see if there is a Street Prepared class that suits you. There is a class called SPEC MIATA that is worth checking out under CLUB RACING. The TIME TRIALS rules are not quite as stingent as CLUB RACING (e.g. 5 years on the belts not 2) and not all cars need a cage, but you'll need a fire suit, gloves socks, etc. and an SA2000 or newer helmet. Read the rules, pick a class-that will determine allowable mods.
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Follow Joe's advice and check out the rules. The biggest question is do you fit 2 inches below the rollbar with your helmet on and straped in? I write that because most convertiables with a rollbar that you can still put up the top, the driver ends up one to two inches over the bar.

Rich
Rich Sweigart
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

Start at the time trials rules for the safety equipment. It will either refer you to the GCR, or tell you what is different for TT.

For car preparation, if you want to run in street prepared (CSP I think) or street mod (or SM2 in the case of a Miata), the preparation rules are in the Solo II rulebook. For the club racing classes, car preparation is covered in the GCR. But in either case, use the TT rules for safety equipment.

There are also the special classes; I can't remember where the rules for those classes are -- possibly each event's entry form? -- but they are beyond what you said you wanted to do with your Miata at this point anyway.

But it looks like you have read the rules and have specific questions about specific classes. If the confusion did not spring from not knowing what superceeded what, maybe someone who knows the rules better than I do can re-read your post and answer your specific questions rather than referring you back to the rulebook. :D

Grace