What is a good starter car for hill climbs and why?

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Yeti
Novice

What is a good starter car for hill climbs and why?

Post by Yeti »

I am sure that this has as many answers as members to this forum. I auto cross a Lotus Exige with the PCA. I am not sure what the changes it would take to make it eligible to hill climb. But more importantly Idon't want to find out about off-course repair costs. I am looking into Mikef's Integra but am not sure I want to do FWD. I am also kinding of leaning towards something on the vintage end to be able to run Hershey. I am more concerned about learning and having fun than I am about winning (at least at this point). Thanks, Scott
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

I just happen to have this car for sale.... more on that later. Buy something done and ready to race. Don't spend a lot. You'd be surprised how many peolpe decide this is not for them, especially those who have run mostly track events and find that obstacles next to the road scare them. Front wheel drive is perfect for hillclimbs. Easy to learn and more forgiving than rear wheel. If you are afraid to wreck what you got, you won't have fun. Don't think of your first car as what you will always have (not good advice from a guy that has run the same thing for 13 years). Once you are there and run with everything else you will develop a specific interest. Vintage has unlimited possibilities but can be expensive to purchase or prepare a car. Sprites and Midgets are reasonable and available with high fun factor. If you like Lotus, the Elan is an outstanding choice.

Let us know which way you are leaning. Many of our members welcome the chance to be a mentor and the above mentioned models have several drivers with a lot of experience. If you are thinking about the VW watercooled line, I would be glad to assit you. Mike's Acura is a very good choice and he can be an invaluable source. He has been through this.

You could also consider renting for an event or season. I just happen to have..... well you have seen we have an ad section on the forum.
Dave Yeager, EL&M Auto Recycling, S. Jersey
H/P Rabbit GTI, National Club Racing
ITC Scirocco, Regional CR, Time Trials
MKIII Golf, LeMons/Chump car
V1 TR4, Vintage/ Historic
Formula SAE, SOLO II
V1 Sprite
500 Late Model Parts Cars
Yeti
Novice

Post by Yeti »

I may have seen your car. I met a guy at Summit during the Turkey Bowl with a rented Rabbit from Reading.

I figure I am going to do some research this winter. I am not in a hurry and don't want to lead anyone on that a car purchase is iminent. I have had contact with MikeF about seeing his car. But it isn't exactly in a convenient location for either of us. So I don't want to waste anyone's time.

I am not concerned about not liking hill climbs. Narrow roads, trees and speed have pretty much been what I have known from day one in driving. Hill climbs eliminate the opposing traffic and cops. I am growing up! I have more concerns about the time commitment. I do the PCA auto crosses and some track days. It doesn't cut in to the family time too much so far.
eimc
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 46

Post by eimc »

I have a 1988 Golf GT-3 car . It always served me well and I think is a good hillclimb car. It's a easy handling car forgiving and fast. I ran it 3 years in PHA. The white #46 (european imports) golf. I also ran it in a couple of Pca autocrosses at Hershey. Reguards Paul :D :shock:
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6
Yeti
Novice

Post by Yeti »

I think I have seen your car. Do you also have an Audi that you run? I saw an old GT that I had considered for vintage racing.
eimc
Novice

Post by eimc »

Yes a friend of mine races the red/white/black Audi GT coupe . We both ran the PCA autocrosses. Mine is for sale ,not sure about the audi. Reguards Paul
1987 Porsche 944
1988 VW GTI 16V GT-3 #46 Image Geely scooter Friend of Old # 7 1970 Porsche 914-6
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

I think that just about everyones race car is for sale :wink: Some just more serious than others.

Dave Y.
eimc
Novice

Post by eimc »

The Golf is currently for sale on 4 different venues. Physical problems might restrick me from driving next year. (especialy a fwd car) PM me if anyone on pha site is interested, Thanks Paul
1987 Porsche 944
NJ 03Mach1
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 281
Current Racecar: Looking!

Re: What is a good starter car for hill climbs and why?

Post by NJ 03Mach1 »

Never having actually "competed" in a PHA event I dunno if I count for a reply, but I will anyway.

Being a "spirited" driver any time I have a curve in front of me, I'd say pick a car your going to be comfortable in. Pick a car your going to be comfortable in, in a situation that could possibly hurt you or the car. Pick a car you enjoy driving.

I guess this was kinda a pointless post, I shall go now... :oops:
Currently looking for a Legends or Dwarf car.
Adam Sampson
PHA #281
Number 56
Novice

Post by Number 56 »

IMHO the only way to go is a spec class (Formula Vee or SR Ford). In Formula vee the rule have been stable and in print for 45 years. The cars don't cost much and retain there value. Crash repairs are low. You always have someone to race with. If you decide to move up to Regional or National Road Racing the cars and rules are the same. The Formula Vee (with 56 HP) will run in the top 3rd for overall fast times on most Hills.
The cars a easy to work on. Ask any Vee driver and they will tell you it is the way to go.
The real number 56
GT1-hillclimber
Novice

Post by GT1-hillclimber »

I have a nice 2001 Z06 for sale. Dedicated hillclimb/TT car (not street legal). It holds the ASP record at several hillclimbs down south. I have reduced the price to 23k, ready to race in 2008. It is in the classified section.

Mark Mashburn
mashburn_vette@hotmail.com
Yeti
Novice

Post by Yeti »

I like the formula car idea but I don't know how many track day groups allow open wheel cars.
FC93
Novice

Post by FC93 »

Yeti wrote:I like the formula car idea but I don't know how many track day groups allow open wheel cars.
I have ran Formula Continetal for a few years now and have had a blast, as far as running with other groups i have ran with EMRA and Nasa both have classes for formula cars
Dave Rohrbach
jgrausa
Novice

hillclimb car

Post by jgrausa »

Scott:
Get the Integra listed on this site for sale, or better yet, a Mazda E Production car that was available from up in the Weatherly area. Both cars are sorted and require only fuel. For $7K, its a good value and won't break the bank.
If you want to spend some more cash, I've got a nice Hershey vintage legal and hillclimb prepared and sorted Porsche 911 that needs exercise. Regards,
Joe Rausa
Lititz, PA
[/img]
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

You've been given some very practical advice from accomplished drivers. I'm gong to add a caveat to all of it - race whatever car you have an absolute passion for. You might not be competitive but you'll still be racing in 20 years. Over the last 30 years of not enough money, crashes, blown motors & threats of divorce, I would have quit for sure if I wasn't madly in love with old British junk. I know that the "hot shoes" won't agree, but it's something for you to think about. Good luck, Sue
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Yeti
Novice

Post by Yeti »

Joe,

The 911 sounds tempting but you know how I drive. All of my bad habits that the Lotus hides would be outed in a pendulum like that. Anyway, it would probably kill you to see it go arse side off into a tree.

Scott
brandonl
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 79

Re: hillclimb car

Post by brandonl »

jgrausa wrote:Scott:
Get the Integra listed on this site for sale
Regards,
Joe Rausa
Lititz, PA
[/img]
I agree, the integra that is for sale is good, solid, reliable car and I have driven it at Pocono with Mike. It is very forgiving and is set up nicely.

Brandon
Yeti
Novice

Re:

Post by Yeti »

Sue Salsburg wrote:You've been given some very practical advice from accomplished drivers. I'm gong to add a caveat to all of it - race whatever car you have an absolute passion for. You might not be competitive but you'll still be racing in 20 years. Over the last 30 years of not enough money, crashes, blown motors & threats of divorce, I would have quit for sure if I wasn't madly in love with old British junk. I know that the "hot shoes" won't agree, but it's something for you to think about. Good luck, Sue
You have made me think more than anyone else. I am trying to figure out this passion thing. It is interesting watching what motivates people in motor sports. Yours appears to be the passion for a type of car. I have seen others that it is the adrenaline rush. Less than I would have thought it is winning that motivates some. The mechanical challenge seems to be a lot of guys. I am sure I am missing many other motivations too.

Even though, I am a member of the Porsche club, the Alfa club and own a Lotus I am not married to any marque. I don't think I fall in the adrenaline junkie camp although my wife might disagree. I don't really get that excited about winning but I find it a bit of validation. I wouldn't say I am mechanically challenged but have never had the training to be my own wrench. For me it seems to be the intense focus that shuts out everything else or maybe I am just a control freak....
Rich Sweigart
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 5
Current Racecar: Womer EV-1 Fvee
Reynard 84FF
Porsche 924
Hyper 600 micro sprint
Delcraft micro stock

Post by Rich Sweigart »

Yeti,

There is no perfect starter car. You need to find a car that is most practical for you. A car in which, you like, can drive, can fix it on your own if, need be, the most comfortable sitting in and one which you can afford. Most importantly, if you can't write a check to replace it, you shouldn't be hillclimbing it.
I usually run a formula vee(might be in a F Production in 08) because I grew up on VWs and Porsches. It is a car that fits the above conditions for me.

Rich
Rich Sweigart
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Rich Sweigart wrote:if you can't write a check to replace it, you shouldn't be hillclimbing it
Yeah, what he said!

Mike Ancas came up with a theory this past season on what it takes to be a fast hillclimb driver. I remember that one of the (three or four) requirements was that you need to feel no love for the car you are driving. Hey Mike, what are the others?

Rich Rock