What is a good starter car for hill climbs and why?

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

TMS69
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 69
Current Racecar: 1988 EP Mazda RX7

Re: What is a good starter car for hill climbs and why?

Post by TMS69 »

Hello, for the guy looking for a car, my RX7 is for sale. Its well sorted, pretty fast (holds record at Rose Valley) and looks great. I run in the EP class, but the little 1.3l will run with most of the V8's. Contact at tsuveg2@verizon.net
TMS69
Novice

Post by TMS69 »

Hello, for the guy looking for a car, my Mazda RX7 is for sale. Its well sorted, new, (completely rebuilt from the ground up), fairly fast ( holds record at Rose Valley, and looks great. I run in the EP class but don't let that fool you, the car will run with most V8's. Contact me if interested. tsuveg2@verizon.net :
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

My "Co-drive credo" has always been "If I can't afford to fix it or replace it I will not drive it." And as far as my own racecars go I was told a long time ago by a very wise man that if you can't afford to walk away from it when it is just a ball of twisted metal then you should not be racing it. I have heard stories of guys getting 2nd mortgages on their homes just to buy a racecar. That is CRAZY!!! Now, maxing out a credit card for parts,,that is a different story :D I am sure most of us should have a VISA logo on the car somewhere. :lol:
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

Post by dspgti »

Tom,

Check your For Sale ad. I think you put your ad under the parts section. That's not what you wanted to do, is it?

Dave Y.
TMS69
Novice

Post by TMS69 »

Thanks Dave, I'm not use to this new format yet. I also entered a post twice by mistake.
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Tom,

I moved the post to the Race Cars for Sale section.
TMS69
Novice

Post by TMS69 »

Thanks Matt.
Speednation
Racer
Current Racecar: 4 Hondas and 1 Neon

Post by Speednation »

[quote]Mike Ancas came up with a theory this past season on what it takes to be a fast hillclimb driver. I remember that one of the (three or four) requirements was that you need to feel no love for the car you are driving. Hey Mike, what are the others?[/quote]
Well, the other 3 don't have much to do with this subject, and they are top secret. But I like Sue's response about having passion for the car that you are driving. Most of us go to the hills for the social aspect. It is probably a good feeling to see spectators looking at your car in the pits (I don't know what that feels like), so it would be good to have a car that you love. It all depends on why you want to go hillclimbing. I think that for the first 2 years, you either drive the car you already have, or buy one that you want to keep forever. If you love your car, it may help keep you out of the woods, especially if you drive it at 90% or so. But once you start looking at the records, or you fellow competitor's times, then it is probably time to park the car you love and buy/build one for the specific class you want to attack. You will already have a few years under your belt so you will know the hills and all of their quirks, so you can begin to drive at 95%. And don't drive a car that is new to you unless you have autocrossed it a few times.
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

If you hillclimb, this is what could happen to you. But that is why you should hillclimb a mustang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZfEGvJbDW8
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
AStaidle
Novice
Current Racecar: 1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Post by AStaidle »

i agree with the statement regarding "passion". There are two cars (or better yet engines) that I've been a huge enthusiast of for some time now, Mazda Rotaries and Mopar 8v's. Looking over the list of cars i've owned and the extensive parts garden im growing, they represent the majority!!
"Some people are afraid of heights, not me. I'm afraid of widths"

Visit my EBay Store --- http://stores.ebay.com/Ohio-Speed-Works

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden
Mazdahead
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 03
Current Racecar: 1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE 13B,

Post by Mazdahead »

I go with the passion of the vehicle too! I started playing around with rotaries in the 80's and fell in love with the whole rotary concept and the first Gen RX7s. I took an old driver car with lots of miles and started running the hills because I was tired of not getting out of 2nd gear in an autocross format and it was just taking up too much room collecting dust in the garage. Now that I caught the hillclimb bug real good I gathered up an old 1st Gen SE to make a faster attempt on the hills, I hope! My passion of hillclimbing and RX7s has given me the energy to keep working on the car, researching the rules, and getting back to the hills this year ready for some major fun and excitement.
I agree with the note about not worrying about wrecking the car and the association with your willingness to drive it all out. I co-drive with my brother and have always told him not to worry about going for it, and I proved that last year by putting the car firmly into a guardrail at Rose Valley! I was upset, mostly because I screwed up, but we put the car back together and off we go for more fun! I think he will go for it a lot more this year! Go George!
AStaidle
Novice
Current Racecar: 1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Post by AStaidle »

other nice thing about running old turbo mopar heaps, they are CHEAP
"Some people are afraid of heights, not me. I'm afraid of widths"

Visit my EBay Store --- http://stores.ebay.com/Ohio-Speed-Works

1987 Mazda Rx7 Turbo II
1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE
1982 Mazda Rx7 GS

Turbo Dodge Parts garden