New to the region - Vehicle eligibility question

Do you want to get info on Hill Climbing or how you can become a driver? Post your questions here.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

crawlerado
Novice
Current Racecar: 2015 818R - EM/TT2
1998 Civic - EP
1999 2.5RS - PA

New to the region - Vehicle eligibility question

Post by crawlerado »

Hello there! Quick introduction, I have been an SCCA member for 15 years now, never done a hillclimb series but I am new to the region and very interested. I have a few cars that could be legal I'm sure but I really want to run my 818R if possible. It's legal for Solo in EM (with a different wing), I've competed at the Optima Ultimate Street Car event as well as several solo events. I've looked over the rules and tech forms and it appears I have everything I need; shoes, socks, firesuit, SA2010 helmet, neck collar, arm restraints, etc. really just looking for any GOTCHAs before I put some serious effort into attending. Thank you in advance!

The car in question - Image
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Re: New to the region - Vehicle eligibility question

Post by Rick Kase »

It is not possible to look a picture and tell if it meets our standards for equipment I.E. roll bar/cage, fire system, seat belts, etc.
Go to scca.org and look up roll structure standards. Look at pahillclimb.com it will give some info. Look at roll bar size and main hoop diagonal etc. Where are you located, some one in your area may be able to inspect it for you.
Rick Kase
crawlerado
Novice
Current Racecar: 2015 818R - EM/TT2
1998 Civic - EP
1999 2.5RS - PA

Post by crawlerado »

Understood, that's not actually what I was asking. The car is already legal for SCCA Solo, Time Trials and NASA TT racing. I was more after a potential, "No you can't race with us because it's yellow." or something extraordinary and buried in the rules specific to hillclimb.

The car is in the Hanover, PA area, I would love to have it gone over in an official or unofficial capacity before planning on attending an event.
miniacmike
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 19
Current Racecar: 2nd 84'Camaro,85'camaro,99 camaro
A family that crashes togather stays togather!

Post by miniacmike »

So it took a little research to figure out what a 818R was. Factory Five Kit car with Subaru drive train. Is that correct?
From what I can see in the pic and looming at our classes it looks like it would be in one of the specials or maybe SPO/SO I depending on engine size. Unfortunately both of those classes require a "full cage"
I know you've said the car is legal for Solo, TT, and Nasa, but hillclimb while under the TT branding has its own set of safety requirments and classing. The PHA only uses a couple of the solo classes. Street prepared and street mod. We also use GCR classes and then our own supplemental classes as well.
2nd 84 camaro,85 camaro, 99 Camaro, 04 vette
Trees taste good
Occasional novice instructor
Mike Robinson
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

The question about the cage could be answered by someone inspecting this up close. There is a production car option for a low cage design for convertibles, but that would depend on dash structure in the actual car. Look at the road racing GCR under cages. That would probably be the main issue, as well as driver fit under cage. Look at the super production rules and see if it can fit there.