Another Passing - Marc Gerstein

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Another Passing - Marc Gerstein

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

I have posted the following sad news on the PHA Forum for those folks like me who "don't do Facebook" and might not be aware of the public PHA Facebook page. (I wasn't aware of it for the longest time.)

Nelson posted the following on the PHA Facebook page about the passing of Marc Gerstein:

"Our condolences to the family of Philly Region SCCA member Marc Gerstein, who passed away on Tuesday. His wife Eunice is especially in our prayers. Details about arrangements are still in process. In addition to his significant contributions to the Philadelphia Region SCCA, Marc was inducted into the SCCA Hall of Fame in 2007 in recognition of his contributions to the national club. Marc is recognized, along with two other Hall of Fame members, Vern Jaques and Grant Reynolds, as one of the fathers of the SCCA Solo program. He was at the forefront of safety programs for both Solo I, now the Time Trials program, and Solo II. Throughout the years, he has been an active participant in Solo, Hillclimbs and Club Racing, still holding official licenses in all three programs. For his contributions to SCCA, Gerstein received the Solo Cup in 1978 and was the recipient of the Woolf Barnato Award in 2004."
Photo posted by Nelson on the PHA Facebook page
Photo posted by Nelson on the PHA Facebook page
BTW, the following is the link for those who might not be aware or have the link for the PHA Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1521966 ... roup_cover

The following is the link for Marc Gerstein's obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mcall/ ... &fhid=6123

I remember Marc during the early 1980's and when he later received the PHA Hall of Fame award. While he was quite the character, he dedicated his efforts to protect the drivers while they had their fun.

Then there are the stories. Chuck Christ recalls in the 1980's when he did an "exhibition run" in his Bugeye Sprite and was handed an unofficial time on a little slip of paper when he returned to the bottom of the hill.

RIP Marc, you had quite the ride.
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F
mckee
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 157
Current Racecar: McKee, Cooper, Kellison, 32 Ford Hi-boy

Re: Another Passing - Marc Gerstein

Post by mckee »

Unfortunately I will add another sad note: Bill Rutan who raced his canvas covered 'bathtub' with PHA over the years (using the same tires throughout) passed away on April 5th in Essex, CT. Bill was a factory driver for Saab and Volvo back in his younger days and still holds the non-paved record time for Mt. Washington - a record which he actually bettered on the partially paved course in his late seventies before hanging it up in 2014. His funeral will be Apr 15th @ 10 am at the Fountain Hill Cemetery in Deep River, CT.

Interestingly enough the 'Bathtub' was a 1945 VW sedan that Bill and his brother Charlie converted into what became the scourge of East Coast hill climbs. That car likely still holds the V2 record at Giant's. Bill mastered the complicated 4 cam Porsche engine and built his own ignition from pre-war Nash parts.

Bill also gained fame back in the day winning two SCCA National Championships in Formula C. Carroll Shelby was able to lap the entire field at a Lime Rock GP with a 4,1 liter Ferrari -- except for one car. Bill Rutan in a one liter FC managed to stay in front of Shelby lap after lap, giving the famous driver fits. Bill was so fast at Lime Rock that he managed to qualify the tiny 1 liter FC in the middle of the field for the 1968 Lime Rock F5000 race.

RIP

Bob D'Amore
Mary Anne Fieux
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 1251
Current Racecar: 1960 SAAB 93F

Re: Another Passing - Marc Gerstein

Post by Mary Anne Fieux »

Bob, thank you for posting this indeed sad notice of Bill's passing. He truly was one of the greats for so many reasons.

Redundant, but it does say it all, RIP Bill. You and your car brought a smile to my face.
Mary Anne Fieux
1960 SAAB 93F