New to Hillclimb - Here's my plan

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

FlyinGato
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 9
Current Racecar: 1997 Honda Prelude
2002 Honda S2000
2017 Honda Civic Type R (Possible)

New to Hillclimb - Here's my plan

Post by FlyinGato »

Hello there, happy to be posting to this group, very excited to join the hillclimb races this year. Before I execute all the purchases and build the car, I want to lay it out for you guys to see what you think
-Car is a 97 5th gen Prelude, I've owned it for 12 years
-Aiming for the DSP class, here are the mods I want to do
-Lowering Springs
-Koni Yellow shocks
-Has front strut bar
-Gut trunk and rear interior
-Install Roll Bar
-Hoosier R7 Tires - wheels are 1 inch bigger than stock and .5inch wider at 7 inches wide
-Brake pad and brake fluid upgrade
-Shift knob replacement
-Delete A/C

Here's a question now, do I need to replace the driver's seat with a race seat setup? Also, do I need a harness? Happy to do that if needed, but in case you couldn't tell, I'm going for the budget race car build to prove to my YouTube followers you don't need to be rich to go racing, and hopefully get more people interested in our sport.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome. I've been a long time track day junkie, but I think it's time to put my driving and mechanic skills to the real test of a hillclimb.

Here's a little video of me on the track with my Type R
https://youtu.be/THHD99qgQ3I
Rich Rock
Racer

Re: New to Hillclimb - Here's my plan

Post by Rich Rock »

Sent you a pm.
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

FlyinGato wrote:Hello there, happy to be posting to this group, very excited to join the hillclimb races this year. Before I execute all the purchases and build the car, I want to lay it out for you guys to see what you think
-Car is a 97 5th gen Prelude, I've owned it for 12 years
-Aiming for the DSP class, here are the mods I want to do
-Lowering Springs
-Koni Yellow shocks
-Has front strut bar
-Gut trunk and rear interior
-Install Roll Bar
-Hoosier R7 Tires - wheels are 1 inch bigger than stock and .5inch wider at 7 inches wide
-Brake pad and brake fluid upgrade
-Shift knob replacement
-Delete A/C

Here's a question now, do I need to replace the driver's seat with a race seat setup? Also, do I need a harness? Happy to do that if needed, but in case you couldn't tell, I'm going for the budget race car build to prove to my YouTube followers you don't need to be rich to go racing, and hopefully get more people interested in our sport.

Any other suggestions are more than welcome. I've been a long time track day junkie, but I think it's time to put my driving and mechanic skills to the real test of a hillclimb.

Here's a little video of me on the track with my Type R
https://youtu.be/THHD99qgQ3I
If you want to prove to your YouTube followers you don't need to be rich to go racing just come to a hill and take your camera through the pits. We have many budget minded racers in our series. Hope you make it out this year.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
FlyinGato
Novice
2002 Honda S2000

Post by FlyinGato »

I'll definitely be filming the other drivers as well, can't wait to meet everyone, I have to get to work on the race car!!
FlyinGato
Novice
2002 Honda S2000

Post by FlyinGato »

Here's the update -

I have used BFG R1S tires, wheels to mount them on and suspension bits, car's running great, progress continues...

Safety gear - Ordered an Autopower Race Roll bar, looking into the 6 point, 3 inch harness straps and a hans device (possibly). I have the SA2015 helment and will get fire SFI 5 suit and racing socks.

QUESTION - My car has a sunroof, I will be leaving it in. In the rules, it mentions I need a net and/or arm restraints? What's the deal here?

Also, do I need a racing seat? I've heard it's recommended, but not needed, is this true?

Thanks for your help, the work continues, follow along at youtube.com/c/FlyinGato
Mark Aubele
Novice

Post by Mark Aubele »

You need arm restraints or a window net.

You do not need a race seat, although it is difficult to correctly use harnesses without cutting holes in the seat.
'97 BMW M3 #53 SMX
FlyinGato
Novice
2002 Honda S2000

Post by FlyinGato »

Mark Aubele wrote:You need arm restraints or a window net.

You do not need a race seat, although it is difficult to correctly use harnesses without cutting holes in the seat.

Ugh, ok, where in the world am I going to mount a window net, I guess I just have to make due wit arm restraints...

I'll see how the harness sits when I get my roll bar. In case I need to get a seat, where do I get the cheapest seat that will pass inspection?
Rick Kase
Hall of Fame Member

Post by Rick Kase »

I think you will find that without a full cage a window net is almost impossible, arm restraints will work fine if adjusted properly. All formula cars have required arm restraints for years and they work well.
FlyinGato
Novice
2002 Honda S2000

Post by FlyinGato »

Rick Kase wrote:I think you will find that without a full cage a window net is almost impossible, arm restraints will work fine if adjusted properly. All formula cars have required arm restraints for years and they work well.
I agree, quite impossible. Ordered arm restraints, they are on their way.

Question - do we need Hans device? didn't see anything about it in the rules, but it's a large document...
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Hans device is not required for PHA events.