Joe Wilkie

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

sgmotorsports
Novice

Joe Wilkie

Post by sgmotorsports »

It is with a heavy heart that I am letting the PHA family know that Joe Wilkie passed away this evening. He will be missed by many! I will update with arrangements as they become available.
sgmotorsports
Novice

Re: Joe Wilkie

Post by sgmotorsports »

Rich Rock
Racer

Re: Joe Wilkie

Post by Rich Rock »

Years ago, when I was new to hillclimbing, I thought it would be funny to exaggerate my bio at Giants, just to see how the announcer handled it. So, for my racing history I wrote
"Soapbox Derby, Demolition Derby, and Kentucky Derby".

Saturday morning, just after I pull up to the line, there's an incident on the hill, and it's gonna be at least a few minutes before I get to make my run. Everyone shuts off their engine and it's real easy to hear Joe on the PA system. He informs the crowd of the delay, and after a minute or so he starts talking about the next car in line. He gives my name and some details about my car. Then he says, and I can't remember his exact words, but it was something very close to : "Well, this delay has probably given Mr. Rock time to reflect on his extensive Derby experiences".

I felt a bit smaller, but I knew right then and there that I LIKED this guy. I also knew that I would be wise to never again try to run something past him :-)

Gonna miss ya Joe.