Dirt modified

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

dirt modified
Novice
Current Racecar: dirt modified

Dirt modified

Post by dirt modified »

I have a older northeast dirt modified. Has a falcon transmission and quick change. The falcon transmission only has a low and high forward gear. Would have to change the spool to a locker in the rear. The car only weighs 2000 lbs. Is this a crazy idea for a hill climb car? Is there a class for this kind of car? Thanks!
aseecobra
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 27x
Current Racecar: 1998 Mustang

Re: Dirt modified

Post by aseecobra »

Nothing is crazy. I considered prepping a sprint car once but the effort to engineer a compact trans was daunting. I recall seeing a dirt mod running the hills in the past. Mahoning Valley Speedway runs the dirt mods on pavement. No reason you can't balance the car for turning right too. You would be in the Special class. There is a Nascar pavement modified in that class now to keep you company along with other various cars.
aseecobra
Novice

Post by aseecobra »

dirt modified
Novice
Current Racecar: dirt modified

Post by dirt modified »

Thanks for the reply. Cool videos. Wander why they stopped racing the road course. The only thing is concerned about is the transmission. Not sure how usable the winters falcon trans would be oo a hill climb???
aseecobra
Novice

Post by aseecobra »

They ran the pavement mods a few times too. Probably didn't get enough interest from the driver and spectator side to keep it going. The 2 speed will work but whatever axle ratio you install will not be enough gear on some parts and too much gear in other parts of the hills. Four speed is best.