VW's in GTL

Talk about anything in this section, just keep it clean. :-)

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

dspgti
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 7
Current Racecar: ITC Rabbit, G/Prod Rabbit, H/Prod Scirocco, GTL Rabbit, TR4, Formula SAE

VW's in GTL

Post by dspgti »

Hello all my fellow VW (water cooled) Racers.

In an effort to boost the GTL (GT LIte) catagory, SCCA is trying a new idea of GTL Limited Prep. Based on the success of LP in Production classes (Level 2), the BOD is embracing this new idea. First approved was an H/P eningine in the Nissan (Datsun) 510 and 210. Reported to be next approved was my proposal for the 1.8L Rabbit GTI engine in level 2 H/P specs, plus a couple minor additional modifications. What this means is any of the current approved GTL VW chassis (A1, A2 and A3) will be allowed to run the 1.8, SOHC, 8 valve engine modified to the H Production Level 2 limits, without the restrictor required in most GTL classes.

Why I think this so cool is because the GT catagory allows so many great modifications like wider and lower suspensions, alternate body panels, windows and slicks. Although don't get too carried away with weight reduction because of a high minimum weight. Other allowances are like bigger brakes, wings, splitters and air dams all benificial the aroedynamic slug VW's. What has always held me back from going GT, is that they were allowed so many engine mods it was very expensive to build and then they added restrictors that made it seem like the enigine was sucking cement through a straw. That never made sense to me. By the way, the additions to the H/P spec that you read in the GCR is the allowance of alternate rods and dry sumps. Both items that make any engine more reliable.

If anyone would like any more information or help with their project, don't hesitate to contact me. Details should be in the current Fastrack if you want to read it.

Dave Y.