I hate weather forecasts :(

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

JekylandHyde
Novice

I hate weather forecasts :(

Post by JekylandHyde »

I keep trying different weather Web sites to find one that will give me a good look out for this weekend, but they are all ugly.

Anyone find one that looks nice :)
_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
brandonl
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 79

Post by brandonl »

Stupid question time, are the climbs all rain or shine? Also, Im planning on coming to check out Weatherly. Are there supp regs or a schedule kinda thing online somewhere that gives the who, what, when and where?

Thanks,
Brandon
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

From what I understand, the hill climbs are only halted for lightening.
If it is just rain, they keep them on ... but I don't race.

water = parked for me.

Are you spectating or racing?

Schedule of events is here:
http://www.pahillclimb.org/Entry_Forms/ ... therly.pdf
brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

No racin in the rain for you? Understandable. I'm just spectating this one, Id like to run a later summer event. I just found the schedule on the entry form a minute ago. Just a thought for the admins, why not post the schedules/itinerary for each event on that events page?

Brandon

hey J&H, looks like were the only 2 on here bored (slacking) at work ;)
Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

It is rain or shine and runs would stop for lightening. The weather I'm see is chance of T-storm Saturday and slight chance Sunday. Sounds pretty good T-storm would be later in the day most likely.

Saturday: Partly cloudy, chance of a thunderstorm. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the low 60s.

Sunday: Slight chance of a thunderstorm. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s.

Every day for the next week is saying that forcast.
Regards,

Tim Royer
TKnorr
Hall of Fame Member

Weatherly Weather

Post by TKnorr »

The chance of thunderstorms from Friday through Sunday is not associated with any frontral activity. They are caused by the high temperatures and humidity that reaches its maximum in the later part of the day when these thunderstorms might occur. Therefore, the forecast doesn't really look that bad. :D
Tom Knorr
Tom Knorr
brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

Weather aside, what day do you guys reccomend spectators come to watch? Assuming they can only come one day.

Brandon
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

The day are pretty much the same ... Saturday you will see the most cars running, but Sunday you will probably see the fastest times being recorded :)

Tim Royer
Novice

Post by Tim Royer »

HI,

Sunday would be the better day weather wise and there is no touring runs Sunday. :D More hard driving seen on Sunday's.
Regards,

Tim Royer
brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

Sunday sounds like the ticket, more fast, less rain!

Brandon
Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

To get to the turns as a spectator you will have to navigate through paths in the woods. So consider that when you are selecting attire. The best ticket is (if you are there early enough) to let somebody know that you are wanting to work on a turn. You will get the best seat in the house and a free lunch.
I will be driving the white Mustang #30. Come by my pit and say hello.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

The weather forecast seems be getting a little better. High temps are down to 80 or 81 instead of 85+, chance of rain is still 30% and the humidity is about the same for both days.

Steve, I'll swing by and say hi. I will have a little crew with me so if you break something just say the word an we'll be on it :P

Brandon
brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

Great event guys. I watched the second half of Sunday. Very well organized and the community seems to love it, cant wait to get involved. I did notice a few of you guys were sitting out the second half, or so it seemed. If you have runs you are satisifed with do you call it a day? Or did you do your max allowable runs (is there a rule on that?) already?

Steve, I stopped by your pit area and no one was there. The CRX next to you and its crew etc were they were the only guys I saw roaming around that area.

Brandon

BTW, in case anyone missed it, those girl scouts cook a mean perogie.
JekylandHyde
Novice

Post by JekylandHyde »

Hey Brandon,

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I had major transmission problems and I wanted to make sure I could drive home so I stopped running after my 2nd run. The was the best run I ever had and it didn't seem worth risking the car for any more so I relaxed and enjoyed spectating. My car has 200,000 miles on the engine so I am counting passes at this point and not taking any more than I need to.

I'm not sure why the others stopped, but everyone is allowed to go up as many times as their group goes up.

Steve Tumolo
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 30
Current Racecar: 2000 Mustang

Post by Steve Tumolo »

Sorry I missed you Brandon. After my third run on sunday I decided to pack it in because I was not getting any faster. If you left before the very end then you missed some action. I was pretty far ahead of my friend in his Camaro. And as the day wore on he was chipping away at my time. On the last run offerd for the weekend he pulled a run out of his butt and got under me with a 63.8 sec. run to my best of 64.0 seconds. So I had to RUN down to my pit get back into all my gear and get back up to the line before they call it a day. I was lucky and made it back up in line with only 2 cars behind me. I had no idea where I was going to drop another half a second because I was trying to all morning and getting knowhere. On a hill that small half a second is HUGE. It is comairable to a half second in a drag race.
I left the line and focused on my turn in point and came into the turn pretty hot and understeered pretty bad then I overdrove the next turn trying to make up for the previous turn. Then coming out of the wall it felt pretty slow. Going into the jump I missed the apex because I was pretty frustrated with myself at this point. Going into the final sweeper I had to really hang on because the car started to come around on me, but I caught it because the the engine bobbled a little.
As I got down to turn around I knew I messed up and I was never going to hear the end of it. On the way back down the hill I was dredding having to take the flack. Only to find out that somehow I cracked off a 62.4 second run. Needless to say moments like that are why I love Hillclimbs.
#30 A-Sedan Mustang
brandonl
Novice

Post by brandonl »

Glad to hear you pulled it out Steve. Yeah I did leave before the last runs, I must have just missed it. Was the white AS camaro the one you were chasing? He was pushing pretty hard late in the day. He was locking up the rear tires going into turn 2 almost every run, but he kept it in line pretty well. Good work catching him.

J&K sorry to hear about the tranny problems so early on. What broke?

Brandon