Is datalogging via a laptop okay?

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

JekylandHyde
Novice

Is datalogging via a laptop okay?

Post by JekylandHyde »

I went to a standalone EMS over the winter and I now have the capability to datalog my runs. I data logged for the first time this past weekend at the Survival of the Import drag event at Englishtown (I won :) ).

All I'm recording is the inputs from the engine (rpms, boost, TPS, intake temps, coolant temps, A/F, injector duty cycle, etc ...)

So is this allowed?

If so, any recommendations on how to secure the laptop?
For drag racing I simply had it sitting on the passenger side seat with the 3-point street belt wrapped around it. I have Sparco Sprint seats which sort of have a square seat base were your butt would go that fits the laptop nicely .... but it's not like I was braking hard while drag racing or turning fast.

Any suggestions?

_____________Sponsorship: Amateur Motorsports_____________

"Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning" ~ Bill Gates
Matt Rowe
Site Admin
PHA Permanent Number: 596
Current Racecar: SRF3

Post by Matt Rowe »

Solo II Street Mod rules allow unrestricted fuel and ignition systems so the way I interpret the rules data acqusition of engine parameters is allowed. However any equipment used to record information would be subject to tech/safety inspection and not to put words in JW or Rick's mouth but I don't think your current method would be allowed. In fact the phrase "snowball's chance in hell comes to mind."

JW and the event safety steward would be the ones to approve any mounting method so you may want to get in touch with them in advance to discuss any possible ideas. But ultimately it may prove to be too much of a hassle to safely mount the laptop to make it practical/useful so don't count on it being allowed. Keep in mind that we have bee requiring in-car cameras to be mounted during tech inspection so that we can approve the mounting method. I would imagine this will be treated the same way, so when you get to tech make sure that the computer is mounted as you intend to have it while racing. That should help to minimize any questions.

Also, if you do come up with a system, make sure it won't distract your driving or getting to and leaving the start line in a timely fashion.
~Matt Rowe