Polish Mountain Repave

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Rich Rock
Racer

Polish Mountain Repave

Post by Rich Rock »

Those who made it to the meeting on Saturday got to hear John Felten announce that the State of Maryland plans to do a full repave of the hill in time for the 2020 event!!
Rich Rock
Racer

Re: Polish Mountain Repave

Post by Rich Rock »

Twenty-some views and not one response to the great news?
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Rich - the condition of the road isn't the problem, the pits are. It's great that the state is supporting their event but hope there is a better plan for getting in/out of the field.
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Dave Cutchins
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 94
Current Racecar: Formula B (F-1000)

Post by Dave Cutchins »

I disagree. The condition of the WAS the problem. There is nothing anyone can do about the weather. Every time we have had wet weather the National Road Group has gone out of their way to a minimize the problem in the pits.
I think it is great news for everyone.
A big thanks to John Felten and his group and their state representative for their efforts on behalf of the community and the Flintstone Volunteer Fire Department.
Dave Cutchins
FB #94
Sue Salsburg
Hall of Fame Member
PHA Permanent Number: 56
Current Racecar: 56 MGA, 61 Jaguar MK2, 2013 Fiesta

Post by Sue Salsburg »

Dave - I think it's great that the road will be paved. More an issue for the formula cars than production based. I know the weather can't be controlled but, since there is a history of flooding, a game plan should be in place. We were told no gravel because the land is farmed but there are other options. Even sheets of plywood or large landscape/construction "tracks" would have helped last year. We've used the mats on county projects; I can get some links if anyone wants to check them out.
56 MGA, 61 Jaguar, 13 Fiesta
Josh R.
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 817
Current Racecar: 1999 Formula Mazda

Post by Josh R. »

Doesn't matter what the pits are like if there's no racing surface. The road was terrible last year. There were a dozen of us up there Saturday night with brooms and blowers to try to get it cleaned off. How many cars got pulled off the hill? So this is AWESOME news. The pits are what they are. If its dry there's no problem. Mats, tracks or plywood are only going to move the problem if they work at all. I do think that the "gridding" on the road needs to be curbed. Too many people are using that to their advantage when they don't need to be out there.
Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos
Tim Murphy
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 68
Current Racecar: Blue wankel (Rennie)

Post by Tim Murphy »

WOW . What does it take to get a little used road paved for a once a year event, I'm sure it's a lot ! Great news! I Thank you to those Maryland folks who were able to pull this off.
Mayor of Wankerville
hufflepuff
Novice
PHA Permanent Number: 512
Current Racecar: 2005 Mazda RX-8 [DSP]

Post by hufflepuff »

I'm super late to the topic but very excited to hear the news. It was so tough to push hard at polish while never knowing how much grip would be available run to run. This will let folks build speed predictably and hopefully result in fewer offs. I look forward to it, hopefully covid is not an impact at THAT time.
Matt Huffman
2005 Mazda RX8 - DSP
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

The milling is done and the paving is well underway, not far from completion. Millings have been spread in the lowest muddiest parts of the paddock.

A big THANK YOU to everyone involved in this project!

Rich