2016 Pagoda Hillcimb

Talk about Hill Climb events here and watch this site for any last minute changes to the schedule.

Moderators: Rich Rock, Mazdahead, Matt Rowe

Rich Rock
Racer

2016 Pagoda Hillcimb

Post by Rich Rock »

Look like we won't have use of the old recycling center parking lots this year, so its gonna be crowded. Trailer parking available in City Park along Constitution Blvd. Also, open trailers can be stashed inside Turn 2. Additional trailer parking outside Turn 4 and on the spur road at Turn 9. No parking of trailers along the 13th Street pit road, or parallel to 13th Street in the grass area.

We'll be there early Friday morning doing final setup, and welcome any help you can give.

Free burgers and 'dogs during registration at the tower Friday 5pm.

Saturday party at the tower, additional tickets available at registration. We'll have some door prizes to give away, and we'll have even more if you bring one!

Thanks!

Rich
Last edited by Rich Rock on Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdwarf36
Novice
Current Racecar: mod-lite

Re: 2016 Pagoda Hillcimb

Post by sdwarf36 »

Looking forward to see my Pa. friends. Thanks for all you do Rich!
WWW.HILLCLIMB.ORG

Our Safer barriers are the mossy side of the trees...
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

First off. I am not making this up.

Shortly after I made the original post, I was informed that a group of paranormal researchers/investigators was planning to be at the tower on Friday evening to do whatever it is they do. For those who don't know, the tower is believed by some to be inhabited by two or more spirits.

I suggested that since things would be crowded and possibly a bit noisy, they might want to reschedule. But, they look at this as a chance to talk about and demonstrate what they do, and plan to come anyhow.

So, sometime around 7:30 or 8pm Friday they will begin their thing at the tower, and everyone is invited.

Rich
sdwarf36
Novice

Post by sdwarf36 »

From one chair to another--"first off I'm not making this up" is a scary opening. :lol: But I totally understand. 8) I've had to share hills with:
Weddings
Mt. bikers
hang gliders
wildlife
a foot race
a group of bird people from U of Indiana with a radar truck

But ghost hunters-nope-you got me there. 8)
WWW.HILLCLIMB.ORG

gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

We had a wedding photo shoot on the Saturday of one of the Reading events -- it must have been Pagoda. They were expected and supposed to enter at the top from the tower side of the Pagoda, but tried to get in at turn 9. The organizers were dealing with a car on fire at turn 7 at the time, so couldn't let them on course even if they wanted to. Reportedly the bride burst into tears, and there was all sorts of commotion.

They did eventually get their photo shoot. Rick Kase & I crashed the part of it that was on the hill in front of the Pagoda when we picked up the timing electronic, but I don't think we made it into any of the photos ;). I was impressed that the women in the bridal party were able to make it up the path in those shoes!
SteveTC
Novice

Post by SteveTC »

^^^^^^^^^^
Hey, I represent that reply! Car on Fire...

I was looking at Google maps to see what the Constitution Ave looks like for parking my trailer, and if you go on earth, the picture was actually taken during a hill climb! What are the chances of that? Could we start parking Thursday night?

Steve
sdwarf36
Novice

Post by sdwarf36 »

gdh57 wrote:We had a wedding photo shoot on the Saturday of one of the Reading events -- it must have been Pagoda. They were expected and supposed to enter at the top from the tower side of the Pagoda, but tried to get in at turn 9. The organizers were dealing with a car on fire at turn 7 at the time, so couldn't let them on course even if they wanted to. Reportedly the bride burst into tears, and there was all sorts of commotion.

They did eventually get their photo shoot. Rick Kase & I crashed the part of it that was on the hill in front of the Pagoda when we picked up the timing electronic, but I don't think we made it into any of the photos ;). I was impressed that the women in the bridal party were able to make it up the path in those shoes!
We had a bride that wanted us to tear down checks (5 of them) and the corner signs (19) so they didn't have to see them on the ride up ! :roll:
WWW.HILLCLIMB.ORG

Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

To even out the number of entries in the run groups, all Street Mod classes (SM, SMF, SSM, and SMX) will run in Group 2 at this event.

And, it was pointed out to me today that if you look at the satellite image of the hill on Google Maps you will see that the image was captured during one of our events!

Rich
gdh57
Site Admin

Post by gdh57 »

And, it was pointed out to me today that if you look at the satellite image of the hill on Google Maps you will see that the image was captured during one of our events!
I see Rick Kase's Volvo up near turn 2, also Tony Preston's Lola, Mike's Camaro and the Formula V's -- I'm guessing the imagery was from Duryea 2015.

Edited to add, definitely Duryea -- I can tell because the A T-Link unit (for the start line) is within the caution tape next to the antenna. And also, it appears I'm almost dead on with placing the marker for the antenna in Google Earth when I did the last wireless timing analysis :)
Capture.JPG
Rich Rock
Racer

Post by Rich Rock »

Just a quick note to say THANKS to everyone who helped make the event happen! Registration, tech, timing, event ops, Saturday night party, setup and cleanup, etc.

Thanks to all the drivers (97 timed entries) and your patience on Saturday morning as we worked through the timing issues. Once they were fixed, the rest of the weekend went smoothly (ten runs offered), in large part because Nelson is a master at spacing cars, and we had no major delays. Credit for no major delays to all the drivers for good car prep and clean driving!

Comments, questions, suggestions or complaints, post 'em here or PM me.

Thanks again,

Rich
sdwarf36
Novice

Post by sdwarf36 »

Thank YOU Rich 8)! You and the whole PHA gang put on a great event. I'm always glad when I can get a chance to make it down.
Your turn- time to come up north and take a (working) weekend off !
WWW.HILLCLIMB.ORG